Singapore

Small Planted Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks

I am new to planted tanks.

I have a Nisso Room-Mate 903EX "all-in-one" tank (approx. 30cmx30xmx32cm, about 6 gallons) with 9w built-in light, built in double filtration system (top-flow and undergravel). I would like to put the tank in my study room on my workdesk. I have the following 2 questions which I hope someone can kindly help me with:-

1. What sort of foreground, mid and background plants would you suggest I put inside? (I assume all have to be low-light types since I only have 9w light)

2. As presurrised CO2 is not possible, which would be a better alternative for my tank, the Flourish Excel or Nutrafin Natural Plant CO2 system or both together?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    you can try co2 tabs
    Its Not a Game, Its a New World™

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Small Planted Tank

[quote:7a7bc1886f="jl71"]Hi folks

I am new to planted tanks.

I have a Nisso Room-Mate 903EX "all-in-one" tank (approx. 30cmx30xmx32cm, about 6 gallons) with 9w built-in light, built in double filtration system (top-flow and undergravel). I would like to put the tank in my study room on my workdesk. I have the following 2 questions which I hope someone can kindly help me with:-

1. What sort of foreground, mid and background plants would you suggest I put inside? (I assume all have to be low-light types since I only have 9w light)

2. As presurrised CO2 is not possible, which would be a better alternative for my tank, the Flourish Excel or Nutrafin Natural Plant CO2 system or both together?

Thanks[/quote:7a7bc1886f]

for plants, it will depend greatly on what you looking for.. fast growers, slow growers, low/high maintenance.. perhaps you like to consider the theme you wish to attain before deciding on both the plants and the co2 injection system. (example. Excel is sufficient if you going for a low maintenance, slow growing tank) but a presurrised co2 is still possible, even for tanks of this size

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Folks

I intend for the tank to be a low maintenance type of planted tank cos the I doubt if I can increase the wattage of the 9W built in light. I don't think I want to have pressurised CO2 becos of the cost and also its going to be on my desk so not so nice to have a cylinder in sight. I am thinking of perhaps java ferns and moss and hornwort. Any other low light plant suggestions welcome, thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From Budak's Planted Tanks for Dummies

Planted tanks without CO2

• A rich base (even soil) is usually recommended. Cover it with plain gravel.

• 1.5-2 wpg of light is enough.

• DO NOT add CO2 or any fertiliser. Rely on fish waste and excess fish food.

• Choice of plants 'may' be more restricted, but it's a myth that you can't grow nice stem plants (even red ones) in non-CO2 tanks.

• Minimal water changes

• Beg, borrow or buy the bible of low maintenance setups: Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your typical low light plants will be Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Java moss...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Everyone

thanks for your suggestions and advice!