Singapore

Fuzz algae and BBA problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Beginners Info Sheet
    ++++++++++++++++++

Tank Dimensions (LxWxH): 61cm x 37cm x 34cm (Water column)
    Lighting Intensity(No of Watts) : 1 x 55W, 1 x 36W
    Type of Lighting (FL/PL/MH) : PL
    No. of Hours your light is on: 10
    CO2 Injection Rate (bps) : 4 - 5
    Type of CO2 (DIY/Liquid/Tank) : Pressurized Tank with Solenoid Valve
    Method of Injection (e.g. Diffusor/Reactor): External Reactor (fr NA)
    Substrate Used : Lapis Sand
    How Thick is your base fert : 1” (JBL Base Fert)
    How thick is your gravel : 2”
    Liquid Fertilizers Used : Dr Mallick’s Potassium Nitrate (Pre-mix : 11 tsp in 500ml water)
    Dr Mallick’s Potassium Dihydrogen Phosphate (Pre-mix : 7 tsp in 500ml of water)
    Dr Mallick’s Potassium Sulfate (3/4 tsp directly)
    Easylife Pro-fito
    Frequency of fertilization : Nitrate, 7 ml of pre-mix solution, 3 times a week
    Phosphate, 2ml of pre-mix solution, 3 times a week
    Potassium, ¾ tsp directly, once a week during water change
    Easylife Pro-fito, 2ml, 2 times a week
    Tank Temperature : 27 – 28 ˚C
    Type of Filter (overhead/internal/canister) : Eheim External Canister 2026 Pro II
    Filter media used : Original media from the Canister
    How long has your tank been set up : 11 months
    Water change frequency : once a week, 70% – 80%
    Water surface movement : Only movement are those caused by my cooling fan.
    Circulation : The water from my external reactor is released to my tank thru a rain bar at the bottom of the tank, holes pointed to the other far side of the tank.

Chemical Properties (Fill what you can)
    ---------------------------------------

Carbonate Hardness (kh): 3, test with AZOO test kit.
    Total Hardness (gH):
    PH : Test with Milwaukee Test Pen
    Before lights on – 7.3
    1 hr after lights on – 6.5
    2 hr after lights on – 6.5
    3 hr after lights on – 6.5
    6 hr after lights on – 6.4
    NH4 (ppm):
    NO2 (ppm):
    NO3 (ppm):
    PO4 (ppm):
    Fe (ppm):

Bioload (Your Fish and Plants)
    ------------------------------
    Plants :
    Aponogeton Ulvaceus, Xiao Gu Jing, Cryptocoryne Crispatula var Balansae, Cryptocoryne Albida, Erect Moss, Alternanthera Reineckii “Copperleaf”, Egeria Densa, Hemianthus Micranthemoides, “Queen of Siam” Lily, Red Tiger Lily, Hair Grass, Micranthemum Umbrosum, Microsorum Pteropus, Vallisneria Americana var Biwaensis.

PS : Plant ID are based on matching with pics / descriptions from Tropica.com or books. May not be 100% correct.

Critters :
    Cardinal – 28
    Oto – 1
    SAE – 2
    Baby Discus 1” – 1
    Glowlight Tetra – 1
    Molly – 2
    Mini Cory “Tiger” – 2
    Yamato – 5
    Cherry Shrimps – 4

Describe your problem :

Having BBA all over the tank. Fuzz algae on my hairgrass and moss.

1. My CO2 injection rate seems to be very high even after I upgraded to an external reactor.
    - Does type of plants or amount of plants affect this?
    - Are there certain plants that consume a lot of CO2, thus I need to pump more? Aponogeton Ulvaceus has big leaves, and the whole leaf is full of bubbles. Could it be this plant taking a lot of CO2?
    - Or does more plants = more CO2 being pumped in?

2. I believe my bioload is on the high side. Could be one of my causes for the algae.
    - Any other way to balance the tank without letting go of some fishes?

3. Are my dosing appropriate? With my bioload, should I reduce my NO3 dosage or just increase my PO4?

4. What could also be causing my algae problem?

Appreciate all advices given. Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From what I feel:

Your C02 levels are allright. Regarding your light... I feel it's a bit on the high side.

Your bioload is way too much. I'd remove the discus, the molly, the glowlight tetra, and the cories. The cardinals are already too much. I only have 13 cardinals in my 2feet. I don't think there's any other proper way to balance that out other than expanding your tank magically.

Wait for PeterGwee or the rest to comment on your fert regime

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [quote:11adc74f71="Digimon"]1. My CO2 injection rate seems to be very high even after I upgraded to an external reactor.
    - Does type of plants or amount of plants affect this?
    - Are there certain plants that consume a lot of CO2, thus I need to pump more? Aponogeton Ulvaceus has big leaves, and the whole leaf is full of bubbles. Could it be this plant taking a lot of CO2?
    - Or does more plants = more CO2 being pumped in? [/quote:11adc74f71]

Surface turbulence...Plant uptake is not that high as compared to the loss of CO2 through surface turbulence.

[quote:11adc74f71="Digimon"]2. I believe my bioload is on the high side. Could be one of my causes for the algae.
    - Any other way to balance the tank without letting go of some fishes?[/quote:11adc74f71]

Yes.
    No.

[quote:11adc74f71="Digimon"]3. Are my dosing appropriate? With my bioload, should I reduce my NO3 dosage or just increase my PO4?[/quote:11adc74f71]

Dosing is a bit lean. You have a lot of light over the tank.
    Try this:
    10ml of your KNO3 stock solution 4x a week
    2ml of your KH2PO4 stock solution 4x a week
    5ml of traces 4x a week

Reduce the bioload...The ammonia is the key problem and the main trigger for algae. Drop the discus, SAE, Cardinals down to 10 and cherry shrimps (this multiply real fast if conditions are right.).

[quote:11adc74f71="Digimon"]4. What could also be causing my algae problem?[/quote:11adc74f71]

Might be lack of nutrients/ ammonia and etc. Just whack the tank back into shape by prunning well, doing large water changes, checking the CO2 real good and dosing nutrients.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [quote:e7267a7b78="PeterGwee"]Surface turbulence...Plant uptake is not that high as compared to the loss of CO2 through surface turbulence.[/quote:e7267a7b78]

Noted. Will adjust my cooling fan's angle (previously 45 degree) so that it dun blow so direct.

[quote:e7267a7b78="|squee|"]Your bioload is way too much. I'd remove the discus, the molly, the glowlight tetra, and the cories. [/quote:e7267a7b78]
    [quote:e7267a7b78="PeterGwee"]Reduce the bioload...The ammonia is the key problem and the main trigger for algae. Drop the discus, SAE, Cardinals down to 10 and cherry shrimps (this multiply real fast if conditions are right.). [/quote:e7267a7b78]

Will negotiate with my wife. Initially, she wanted 50 cardinals. She also wanted to put 7 adult discus in when her friend wanted to let go due to personal reason. She likes to see many fishes swimming around. Had took some time to convince her about the impact it will have previously.

[quote:e7267a7b78="PeterGwee"]Dosing is a bit lean. You have a lot of light over the tank.
    Try this:
    10ml of your KNO3 stock solution 4x a week
    2ml of your KH2PO4 stock solution 4x a week
    5ml of traces 4x a week [/quote:e7267a7b78]

Will try this and monitor.
    Actually, I dun really know if my traces' dosing is good enough all the while, cos the dosage on the label is talking about bi-weekly dosing but I'm dosing twice a week. So dun know how to calculate.

Thanks a lot for the advices.

I think u should take Mr Gwee advices. Try no harm...!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Updates - After 3 weeks of the following actions :

1) Adjusted my cooling fan's angle.
    2) Increased the dosing to the amount recommended by Peter.
    3) Reduced bioload - Removed Baby Discus, 12 Cardinals, Mollies, Glowlight Tetra and Cherry Shrimps.
    4) Siphoned out gravel with BBA during water change and put in new ones when necessary.
    5) Combed hair grass with toothbrush to rid fuzz algae during water change.
    6) Discarded my moss and took my driftwood out to soak in hot water.

BBA had slowed down, but there are still new growth coming.
    Fuzz algae still growing quite fast on my hair grass.

Also, I missed out 1 thing previously. My tank's wall (all 4 sides) having green spot algae. After I scrap with my plastic card and change 80% of the water, it comes back in 3 days time.

Have not clean my filter lately as I was busy with Chinese New Year Spring Cleaning...sigh.

Will clean my filter asap, in the meantime, can I further increase my dosing of PO4? Does it help to tackle the Green Spot algae? What about the other nutrients? Should I further increase too?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Happy New Year to all.