Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How difficult r Glossos, Riccia, Downois?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How difficult r Glossos, Riccia, Downois?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Thinking of setting up a full planted setup and saw many pretty and cool pics of u bros with glossos, riccias and downois... but how difficult/easy r they? I'm currently on a moss only setup hence only 1 55W PL light for a 2ft tank, no CO2 no fert... temp abt 27-28... kinda newbie so any advice greatly appreciated

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Glosso and Riccia need high light and c02, and they are rather high maintainence, especially Riccia.

But of course, upgrade your system, read around on the net, and you'll be ready to go. I did well with glosso after I read up tons on it. ( Moreover it was my first tank. ) No harm trying you see

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How difficult r Glossos, Riccia, Downois?

[quote:33813c5aa3="dkk08"]Thinking of setting up a full planted setup and saw many pretty and cool pics of u bros with glossos, riccias and downois... but how difficult/easy r they? I'm currently on a moss only setup hence only 1 55W PL light for a 2ft tank, no CO2 no fert... temp abt 27-28... kinda newbie so any advice greatly appreciated[/quote:33813c5aa3]

Riccia requires strong light, whereas glosso requires high co2 and moderate light. If you do not have a proper co2 system, my advice is stay away from glosso. You might want to try riccia with DIY co2. As for downoi, no comments.. never tried it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Downois are relatively easy. maintain co2, moderate to strong lighting n if possible not too warm water. not above 28degrees would be ideal.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How difficult r Glossos, Riccia, Downois?

[quote:c19b42b0e1="Simon"][quote:c19b42b0e1="dkk08"]Thinking of setting up a full planted setup and saw many pretty and cool pics of u bros with glossos, riccias and downois... but how difficult/easy r they? I'm currently on a moss only setup hence only 1 55W PL light for a 2ft tank, no CO2 no fert... temp abt 27-28... kinda newbie so any advice greatly appreciated[/quote:c19b42b0e1]

Riccia requires strong light, whereas glosso requires high co2 and moderate light. If you do not have a proper co2 system, my advice is stay away from glosso. You might want to try riccia with DIY co2. As for downoi, no comments.. never tried it[/quote:c19b42b0e1]

Me too try my luck on both Riccia and Glosso in the same tank, achieved good success with Riccia but not Glosso.

The tank length 3ft & height 15" and set-up wtih lighting about 3.7 per gallon, CO2 1 bubble per every 2 second.

My Riccia is just beautiful, growing fast and nice buddles cover all surface of Riccia
    My Glosso is growing slow and upward (not right) instead of spreading

Any advice?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    riccia is easy with high co2 and light.
    http://www.bombhare.net/ - Updated daily now!

hmm.... is ur riccia covering ur glosso? cos i see my riccia growing very fast and outgrow many others

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:a840dfb51d="joseph_zhou"]hmm.... is ur riccia covering ur glosso? cos i see my riccia growing very fast and outgrow many others[/quote:a840dfb51d]

No. the Riccia is on the rocks whereas Glosso is on the substrate.

The Glosso just keep growing upward and not spreading? something went wrong?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    more lighting.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:876e68709d="turtlehead"]more lighting.[/quote:876e68709d]

Are you definite that I need more light? I thought 3.7 WPG is already enough. If so, how much more light to go? Thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The WPG rule is just a general guideline. Some tanks ( esp small ones ) have more than 5WPG. Try doubling your current wattage. It should be enough for the glosso to creep.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I have a 10g with 8 wpg.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i hv started out with moss then riccia. it was very nice esp the color and the bubble.
    But after a while, the mainenance [trimming etc] became too much trouble for me.
    Glassso also tried, but light power not enough, given up later as didnt want to spend too much on electricity for the extra light and air-con to keep it cool.
    Finally back to moss, java/xmas. Used them as general background and foregd supplementing tonina, tiger lotus and other red plant. [just take a bundle, chuck into corners and crevices of wood or rocks and spread a little and they just stay there. No tedious tying down like for riccia]
    the combo looks quite nice and almost maintenance free.

so for me, it is back to moss after going one round.
    Guess moss can be very nice if one use it creatively and used in combo with other aestheically complementary plants.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by d2hpeter
    i hv started out with moss then riccia. it was very nice esp the color and the bubble.
    But after a while, the mainenance [trimming etc] became too much trouble for me.
    Glassso also tried, but light power not enough, given up later as didnt want to spend too much on electricity for the extra light and air-con to keep it cool.
    Finally back to moss, java/xmas. Used them as general background and foregd supplementing tonina, tiger lotus and other red plant. [just take a bundle, chuck into corners and crevices of wood or rocks and spread a little and they just stay there. No tedious tying down like for riccia]
    the combo looks quite nice and almost maintenance free.

so for me, it is back to moss after going one round.
    Guess moss can be very nice if one use it creatively and used in combo with other aestheically complementary plants.
    It seems easy to start with Java Moss but to keep it clean and green also require a lot of work because Java Moss tends to get dirty quite easy. Also, the temperature needs to be low to have a heathly grow

If anyone been to NA, there is a tank using Java Moss about 2 inches thick covering the whole substrate. Very nice, clean and beautiful green and also helps to keep water clean..personal observation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had same problem with my glosso as well! It just refused to crawl, probably due to my 2ft deep tank. Then I left some floating in the water to propagate until they grow and crawl. I planted them back into the substrate after that and they were able to spread horizontally finally. You may wish to try it out but bear in mind that there is sufficient light to the bottom and plenty of CO2.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kadios
    I had same problem with my glosso as well! It just refused to crawl, probably due to my 2ft deep tank. Then I left some floating in the water to propagate until they grow and crawl. I planted them back into the substrate after that and they were able to spread horizontally finally. You may wish to try it out but bear in mind that there is sufficient light to the bottom and plenty of CO2.

Cheers!
    I've already given up to Glosso after more than 2 months of trying...never got it right...still not sure whether is the lighting, CO2 or something ?else.