Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Gex Shrimp and Plant soil (Red)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Problem with Gex Shrimp and Plant soil (Red)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    From the picture look like the water fall from the HOB filter disturb the soil beliw. I sugest you fill the water all the way to the top. Put white color filter wool on the filter outlet, that should trap the mud/dirt.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, the water cleared up alot since my last picture. Prehaps i put a ans nano clearmax and it helped alot. I have extra confidence then today jus launch 5 commando red shrimps , christmas moss on cured cactus wood.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wooty100 View Post
    Hi all, the water cleared up alot since my last picture. Prehaps i put a ans nano clearmax and it helped alot. I have extra confidence then today jus launch 5 commando red shrimps , christmas moss on cured cactus wood.
    Hi all, it has been a day since i added 5 fire red shrimps to my tank and they are doing ok.

From my observations,
    They are slow and legathic, tend to hide at a corner.
    My temperature seemed abit high at 29 from a alcohol thermometer. Not sure the accuracy. Now to think of it, do i need to buy a chiller to lower the temp to 25 or so? I would like they to breed n cross breed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

RCS dont really need chiller, they are quite hardy. The shrimp slow and lethargic because of the new environment or maybe your water parameters? Give them sometime, they will get used. Oh wait, do you cycle your tank water properly?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    RCS dont really need chiller, they are quite hardy. The shrimp slow and lethargic because of the new environment or maybe your water parameters? Give them sometime, they will get used. Oh wait, do you cycle your tank water properly?
    This morning i found a dead shrimp. $2 lost

I looking to try to get them to breed. I understand, that the temp has to be optimum for them to do so?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

All I can say is your tank is not properly cycled

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This morning i found a dead shrimp. $2 lost
    What are the current water parameters? ie. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? If you don't have a test kit, then it'll just be guesswork at the moment and the shrimps will be the "test kits", so do be prepared to encounter additional shrimps deaths during the cycling process (since you are using them as "commando" shrimps anyways), at least until the tank is cycled and and water parameters are stable.

Actually, if you want to use shrimps as commando/test shrimp, it'll be better to use cheaper shrimps (those lower grade ones), since the attrition/death rate will be much higher during this initial period of tank cycle. Save the nice shrimps for later after the tank is stable.

I looking to try to get them to breed. I understand, that the temp has to be optimum for them to do so?
    For RCS, they can adapt and breed at quite a wide range of temperatures. From my own experience, at tank temperatures up to 29°C-30°C, they still breed like crazy.... its usually only when water temperature is higher, then there is a noticeable drop in breeding rates. If your tank is really too warm (ie. >30°C), then you'll have to consider relocating the tank to a cooler area, reducing heat generating devices around the tank or using a fan to help reduce the water temperature to more moderate levels.

A chiller would be great if you have the budget though, just depends on whether you feel its worth the extra expenditure to improve the tank environment for RCS shrimps.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Too rush to add in shrimps since water haven really tested cycled cleared from ammonia and nitrates just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have a 5 in 1 water testing strip. While the parameters are not ideal, it is optimum. Will post later when im back home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is 5 in 1 test kit accurate? I read from some forum that this kit is crap? I am not sure how true is that?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No idea. The master kit for 7 test is expensive and i didn't think i should spend so much for getting into a new hobby. Lol poison

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

GH 30
    KH 40
    PH 6.5
    NO2 0.5
    NO3 20

During 1st launch of livestocks . I using API 5 in 1 strips

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

GH 30
    KH 40
    PH 6.5
    NO2 0.5
    NO3 0

For now. Seems like both my gold fish tank and shrimp tank same parameters. But goldfish tank is not planted and bare without substrates.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Your test strips don't measure NH3 (ammonia), which is the most toxic to livestock, so that is one very important parameter that is missing.

The No2 (nitrite) levels indicate the tank is still cycling, but the drop in No3 (nitrate) levels back to zero during cycling is an odd result. The goldfish tank should also be showing higher nitrate levels anyways.

Thats the problem with test strips, the variations in their measurements are so wide it becomes unreliable, you can't be really sure if something is wrong.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Introduce another 15 fire reds from a seller from another forum. Got 4 or 5 bellied since last count! Excited
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12