Country
    Singapore

water change method

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi

just want to find out how u pple do water change? i am using water pails to transport water to and from toilet. very tiring for my 4 feet.

cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What don't you just purchase a long hose for this purpose? Saw some LFS selling accessories like the inverted U bar for hanging on tank during top up water and valve to control and stop water flow.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi

then how about the part on getting water out of the tank?

cheers

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:fcbb981f2d="aqua"]hi

cheers[/quote:fcbb981f2d]

hook a powerhead up to the hose?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: water change method

[quote:fdf1506183="aqua"]hi

just want to find out how u pple do water change? i am using water pails to transport water to and from toilet. very tiring for my 4 feet.

cheers[/quote:fdf1506183]

I use garden hose with a ehiem U-connector with valve, to drain, turn on the tap till the hose is totally filled up.. then pluck it out to drain.. no additional pump needed

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used a similar u-shaped connector with a long hose. Copied the idea from Nature Aquarium.

You can improvised from other items available at LFS.

[quote:c3e8ffa433="aqua"]hi

cheers[/quote:c3e8ffa433]

For me, I just give a quick suck at the other end of the hose.
    Save the trouble of filling the entire hose with water to create the siphon effect. And remembering to gargle afterwards.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Lol..K.F. sucking rules man!..hahahaha...i also do that...lol...taste what my fish live in...haha

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the hose is long enough, You just have to suck long enough for the flow to start... water does not have to touch you.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: water change method

[quote:5c78f389e5="aqua"]........ very tiring for my 4 feet.[/quote:5c78f389e5]

huh??? u walk on 4 feet???? hehehehe :P

gotta read it twice to understand that it was refering to your 4-ft tank.... sorrie....

i used an almost 10m hose from my 2 x 4ft tank to the tap in my kitchen, similar to vinz, gave it a suck to make the water flow over the top, once over, gravity takes over n let the water flow out till the desired level, thereafter, just connect it to the tap and on it to start refilling. this operation for the 2 x 4ft tanks of 20% weekly change takes bout 5 mins (excluding the trimming, cleaning of glasses etc)
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi all

thanks for the tips

i will try it out this weekend

cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why don't you just get one of those suction tubes with a little hand pump and attach the end of this to a standard water hose (I use a hose screw clamp to fix the two ends securely) and let the water drain into your toilet/bathroom/flowerpot/neighbour's flat? And for refilling, clamp the hose to your tap (I just unscrew the tap spout's meshed end and put in a garden hose fitting) and fill the tank straight up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Attach a tube to the water hose and to the tank with either a u tube or something with the end of the hose in the water.

Open the water flow till the entire tube is full and stop and releash the end of the hose from the tap and drain it to your wc.

The water will automatically flow out without the use of manuel sucking.
    Save the wildlife. Do not buy endangered species.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:662365012a="cherietung"]Open the water flow till the entire tube is full and stop and releash the end of the hose from the tap and drain it to your wc.

The water will automatically flow out without the use of manuel sucking.[/quote:662365012a]

I tried that method before but I didn't like the bubbling in the tank when the water is being filled. And anyway, that clean water will be wasted again when the siphon starts.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:02eb598314="cherietung"]Attach a tube to the water hose and to the tank with either a u tube or something with the end of the hose in the water.

Open the water flow till the entire tube is full and stop and releash the end of the hose from the tap and drain it to your wc.

The water will automatically flow out without the use of manuel sucking.[/quote:02eb598314]

I agree with juggler this method waste some precious water. I prefer using the hand pump thingy describe by Budak.

Feedback Score
    so for those who top up direct from the tap you add your dechlorominer into the tank directly?

for me my tank is small (23 US gallons) so just change one big pail (about 20 percent) need to carry only one round to and one round from.... but lifting the pail up for filling up is taking its toll on my back! i add dechlorominer into the pail before toping up...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:a11c6013ef="juggler"]I tried that method before but I didn't like the bubbling in the tank when the water is being filled.[/quote:a11c6013ef]

The bubbling can be minimised by using a slower flow rate. Thereby lower disturbance to the tank's residents.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:f7b35ef631="geoffrey"]I agree with juggler this method waste some precious water. I prefer using the hand pump thingy describe by Budak.[/quote:f7b35ef631]

There's no hiding that some water will be wasted. Sometimes, the most efficient method may not be the cheapest method.

Point noted.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:9c556ca31b="rijac"]so for those who top up direct from the tap you add your dechlorominer into the tank directly?

for me my tank is small (23 US gallons) so just change one big pail (about 20 percent) need to carry only one round to and one round from.... but lifting the pail up for filling up is taking its toll on my back! i add dechlorominer into the pail before toping up...[/quote:9c556ca31b]

For myself, I would prefer to add the 'de' products like Genesis directly into the tank where the outflow of the tube is in an evenly spaced out timing.

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:557ac62b97="cherietung"][quote:557ac62b97="juggler"]I tried that method before but I didn't like the bubbling in the tank when the water is being filled.[/quote:557ac62b97]

The bubbling can be minimised by using a slower flow rate. Thereby lower disturbance to the tank's residents.[/quote:557ac62b97]

when i am in a hurry i use a half in hose and i can do my water change in about 5 to 10 minutes but it gets one hell of a cloudy for about an hour after dat.... but if i have time i use a quarter inch hose which has a much slower flow and almost no disturbance but takes a lot longer to complete... i also use this smaller hose when doing gravel cleaning... if i use the big hose i will suck up gravel too!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:7ef704ce39="cherietung"]I would prefer to add...... directly into the tank where the outflow of the tube is[/quote:7ef704ce39]

same same.... but i will dump watever required portion all together.... :P
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast