Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Glossostigma problems

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I recently changed all my tubes to NEC biolux tubes (4W/USG) and my glossos and other plants are doing very well, bubbling in steady streams of tiny O2. My CO2 is DIY+Flipper for my 2x1x1 tank which is quite enough I think.

Then after a few days, the edges of the leaf blades start to darken, I'm not sure whether that's algae or darkening of color but I do see dark green spots on some leaves in areas that are receiving slightly less than full amount of light. Areas which receive most lights and least lights have no algae problems.

What algae comes in dark green spots on leaves? What's the darkening of my leaf blades?

CO2: DIY + Flipper
    Lights: 4x15W (NEC Biolux) 4W/USG
    Tank Dimensions: 2x1x1
    Lights on: 10-12hours/day, around 7am-6pm +-
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    DIY CO2 and loads of light is asking for trouble. Unless you can keep up on the CO2 supplied by the DIY method, you are definitely going to run into problems of all sorts. Drop the light down to 2w/g is more than enough for glosso. As long as the glosso is receiving direct lighting, it will be fine. Keep a close eye on the CO2 level through measurements from pH and KH. Make sure it stays close to the range of 20-30ppm. Once per week of nutrient dosing is likely enough for this tank with 2w/g.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Get another bottle for your yeast/sugar mixture. Make it 2 bottles and alternate between new mixture for each on a fortnightly basis.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm using lots of yeast and I have to change bottle every 2-3 weeks, bubbling is alot! from bottom big to top tiny (diffussing). So I guess that's equivalent to 2 bottles, just that I need to change more often.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You will need measurements of pH and KH to know the amount of CO2 in your tank. Pearling does not tell you much about your CO2 level...maybe enough for early part of the day or week but slows down towards the end. Algae loves inconsistent amount of CO2...plants don't. Unless you are very sure that the amount of CO2 is adequate, I would not blame the nutrients on any of the problems you are having now.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Facing the Same problem as him

tank specs

standard 54 litres
    lighting: 4x 15 FL 10 hour photoperiod (controlled by timer and broken into 2 bloc of 5 hour)
    water change of 10-20% weekly
    using LUshgro Aqua and Micros

My glosso lawn has been returfed because i faced the same problem as him. My glosso face spot algae problem to and darken til a point of deat. I have since switched to Cannister Co2 injected via a ceramic diffuser.

during photoperiod (24/7)
    ph: 6.5
    KH: 4 or 5

My question is, is there any remdial action needed to prevent the spot algae? and also, If the spot algae darkens the leaves, do i increase my Co2 injection rate or do i wait for the glosso to die of a natural death?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do not breakup the photoperiod.

Make sure the nutrients do not run out for your very high light tank. I do not use Lushgro Aqua nor micros so you might want to check out the excel dosing file that Juggler has come up with.

What are you using to measure the pH? If you are using a test kit, go for those with 0.2 interval at least. I would spend on a pH test pen though for more accuracy as it is a critical reading if you use CO2. For KH readings, you can increase the accuracy by several folds by increasing the sample volume. The more accurate the two readings are, the more likely you would hit the actual levels although in real life, that is not possible. Close enough is good enough. Eyeball your plants towards the end of the day...do you get nice pearling?

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Peter.

I'm using Sera test kits. i have to admit its indicative range isn't that fab. but my ERS can only go so far maybe when CNY comes then i will switch to a pen or Aqua Pharm.

will try to observe the new glosso growth after returfing and planting my lawn with the healthier plantlets (took 2-3 hours)

cheers and happy planting