1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Air bubble in substrate!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, recently i just set up my 1.5FT tank and is cycling for about a week. I noticed that there are lots of air bubble trapped in my substrate and when it's disturbed, the bubble will float up and form into little black pearl on the surface. Will like to check is that normal as this is my first time setting up a 5cm high substrate.
    Below are my steps during set up:
    1. thin layer of bornewild shrimp soil about 1cm.
    2. mosura old sea mud powder.
    3. add the rest of soil to reach 5cm height.

And also why the substrate is in 2 tone(2 different colour). Top layer is lighter in colour even it is from the same bag of soil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Youngming; 31st Jan 2015 at 13:48.
    Spent my time on the tank like how i spent my time with my love one..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Air bubble in substrate!

Thats quite a normal phenomenon, especially in new tank setups, the bubbles are the hydrogen sulphide gas by-products of anaerobic bacteria inside the soil substrate... it tends to form in deeper soil because there is less circulation and oxygen in them.

Usually if you have rooted plants, their roots will help aerate and bring oxygen down into the soil, so there will be alot less of those bubbles being produced.

If you don't have much rooted plants, then either just leave it alone or use a stick to poke the substrate to release the bubbles during regular tank maintenance... do be careful when doing this as the gas can sometimes build up to high concentration if not touched after a long time and the large release of gas could potentially harm sensitive livestock, including emitting a very stinky "rotten eggs" smell into your room.

Your soil substrate having 2 different colors is due to the aquarium light illuminating the top layer, while the bottom layer is blocked from light so it looks darker.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the reply UA. I doesn't have many rooted plants as you can see in the picture. Has been poking the substrate this few days and clean up the surface but there are still plenty of them in it. Don't dare to over do and disturb the substrate as i am still cycling the tank. Will continue to do it during my regular maintenance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is that a sponge filter with bio media too? So basically you just need a air pump and the sponge filter right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. that's the new BIOSPON. Got it from GC.