Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Marbled Hatchet

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bought 2 from Aquatic Avenue yesterday and they won't eat the floating micro pellets that I feed my other fishes, any idea why? I read online that they only eat bloodworms and insect larvae but they will also eat floating foods. They are so graceful and they look like mini kites flying in the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Marbled Hatchet

You have to train them to eat floating commercial food, most of these fishes are wild caught and are only fed live food at the LFS... like Aquatic Avenue, they mostly feed all their retail fishes tubifex worms.

So you'll just have to continue feeding the commercial food and hopefully when they are finally hungry enough, they will eat it.

Btw, if your tank isn't covered, you will need to cover it. Hatchet fishes are expert jumpers... they are built to "fly" out of water to catch prey.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

UA is it ok to cover my tank when I have lights for the plants? Wont it affect the plants? This is my current setup
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnia View Post
    UA is it ok to cover my tank when I have lights for the plants? Wont it affect the plants? This is my current setup
    I guess thats the tricky part about such tanks... you'll need to make a cover which can cover the top and yet have space for the pipes and also allow for sufficient ventilation.

Normal glass covers can reduce some of the light (they have around 80+% light transmission)... using low-iron high-clarity crystal glass as cover is better (up to 95+% light transmission). Acrylic is lightweight and also clear and allows high light transmission, but it could warp under prolonged heat exposure and sometimes yellow after some time.

Some condensation from evaporation will collect on the cover too, so that might also block some light.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The tank came in with a cover and it's a low iron glass... but it wont fit, the pipes and gex ohf are in the way, Ill have to improvise and cover the tank with a mosquito net for now, until I think of a permanent solution, thanks for letting me know that they're jumpers!