Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help! How to get rid of this algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, there's this dark greenish algae which has been constantly growing inside my tank for some time.

What causes this algae to grow?! and how to remove it. any fish will eat it?[ATTACH]46824[/ATTACHImageUploadedByTapatalk1422781589.638573.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1422781602.145385.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help! How to get rid of this algae

That's black brush algae (aka BBA)... so far the only fish known to eat it is Siamese Algae Eater (SAE).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    That's black brush algae (aka BBA)... so far the only fish known to eat it is Siamese Algae Eater (SAE).
    I have this yellow algae eater and it's not eating the algae ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422785373.797736.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Kennology View Post
    I have this yellow algae eater and it's not eating the algae ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422785373.797736.jpg

Yeah, yellow algae eater is not siamese algae eater... the yellow ones are different species and don't eat BBA.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to borrow ts thread. How about wall algae ? How to get rid? I keep scrubbing..but it keep coming back..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Sorry to borrow ts thread. How about wall algae ? How to get rid? I keep scrubbing..but it keep coming back..
    Depends on the type of algae... if its the soft green or brown film algae, then otocinclus will eat that.

If its hard green spot algae, then nerite snails can help, though established algae spots that are too tough will still have to use algae scraper to manually remove.

If its those fuzzy type, look like green fur on the glass, then shrimps can help eat those (efficiency depends on the algae growth rate vs hungry shrimp population).

For a well balanced tank, cleaning the tank glass every 1-2 months is quite normal.... but if you have to clean it every week or every few days, then better check your lights, nutrients and Co2 parameters.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1 to 2 time per month is ok for me. But i notice the grown on my fish tank. It is greenish spot, but can be easily scrub off. I have nertie snail, amano shrimp and otto. But seem like not really working well.
    In fact, i have 8 amano shrimp, 5 otto, 2 small nertie snail. They seem chewing my rock instead lolz.

Anyway i had brought the timer, i try to limit the lightning duration to 6 hour daily, previously like 10 hour.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    1 to 2 time per month is ok for me. But i notice the grown on my fish tank. It is greenish spot, but can be easily scrub off. I have nertie snail, amano shrimp and otto. But seem like not really working well.
    In fact, i have 8 amano shrimp, 5 otto, 2 small nertie snail. They seem chewing my rock instead lolz.

Anyway i had brought the timer, i try to limit the lightning duration to 6 hour daily, previously like 10 hour.
    Yeah, green spot algae is perhaps one of the toughest algae to solve. So far the only creatures i've kept that have an effect are nerite snails, they can minimize it by eating the fresh growth, but still not 100% eliminate all of it.... maybe if the whole tank is crawling with dozens of hungry nerite snails then can see greater effect.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Kennology View Post

Ts, by the way, this is chinese algae eater. Rather aggressive type. When they grow older, they will attack other fish and not eating algae. I had bad experience on this fish. It kill my barbs right in front of my eye !! I faster remove it. You google it, top 10 worst community fish !

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The black brush algae is due to low or fluctuations of co2. Usually affects the dying plants first.

You can put seachem excel directly and it will turn to pink or white where the shrimps will finish it off. But the best way is still prevention.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*