Country
    Singapore

Re: Enclosed Bio Filtration System

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The Gex Slim SS hang-on filter would be suitable... though there is the issue of its motor being submerged into the tank, and your tank is only 7 liters, so a higher percentage of space would be taken up and it'll heat up more of the small water volume.

An alternative is the ISTA Slim 180 hang-on filter, i use that for my smaller quarantine tanks and it works well, it has a slim profile but yet can hold more bio-media (compared to the P60 or H80), and the motor and impeller are mounted outside (like the majority of hang-on filters), so no issues with taking up tank space and heat transfer.

The only issue i find with such larger hang-on filters is that their higher flow rates tend to be too much for small tanks (especially those below 10 liters), so even when tuned to their lowest flow setting, its usually still like a washing machine in there. I guess you'll just have to try additional ways to further slow down and diffuse the current.
    Seem like ISTA 180 quite small too?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISTA-HANG-ON...-/271127774734

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Seem like ISTA 180 quite small too?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISTA-HANG-ON...-/271127774734
    Well, the TS mentioned there is limited space to mount the hang on filter (12cm?) and the ISTA one is already that wide so it pretty much max out the available dimensions. Its filter body is taller though, so it can fit around 2-3x the bio-media vs the P60 or H80 filters.

I guess for a small 7 liter tank, filter choices tend to be abit limited due to restricted space and placement options... unless one goes for canister filters which can be placed below the tank.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you UA ! Just wondering is it easy to get the replacement cartridge? Seaview got sell?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you UA ! Just wondering is it easy to get the replacement cartridge? Seaview got sell?
    Not sure if replacement cartridges are readily available, but they aren't really effective anyways... better to just cut out your own sponges and fill the filter chamber with higher quality bio-media, it makes a significant difference to the filtration efficiency.

Here is an example of Dophin H80 filters stuffed with Seachem Matrix (i keep a few constantly running as spare filters):

So far i've found that just one unit like that is usually able to maintain a relatively stable cycle in a small nano tank (ie. 10+ litres with moderate bio-load). I have setups running in this way for close to a year without issues.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 18th Jun 2015 at 22:42.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Not sure if replacement cartridges are readily available, but they aren't really effective anyways... better to just cut out your own sponges and fill the filter chamber with higher quality bio-media, it makes a significant difference to the filtration efficiency.

Here is an example of Dophin H80 filters stuffed with Seachem Matrix (i keep a few constantly running as spare filters):

So far i've found that just one unit like that is usually able to maintain a relatively stable cycle in a small nano tank (ie. 10+ litres with moderate bio-load). I have setups running in this way for close to a year without issues.
    Yes my current 7L tank also stuff same as you. But however it obstruct the flow... maybe stuff too much media?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes my current 7L tank also stuff same as you. But however it obstruct the flow... maybe stuff too much media?
    Yeah, the more bio-media stuffed into it the slower the flow, so just have to adjust the quantity accordingly... though small tanks usually require less flow so i use that effect as another form of flow reduction.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

UA,

I copy your position of stuffing the bio media and filter sponge. Wow it really make a difference in term of water flow and space to stuff the bio media ! Brilliant idea !
    When i open the HOB cover, surprised to see a CRS inside the filter, happily chewing the brown algae.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12