Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plant tips needed for Tonina spec; Gratiola and others

Plant tips needed for Tonina spec; Gratiola and others

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all. This is Tony from the USA and I have a couple questions regarding some plants more common to you guys in Singapore - not very many people in the US are experienced with these plants as they are very rare here.

I would like to know if anyone can share any experiences with these plants, especially growing requirements, pruning, lighting, fertilization etc.

Specifically, I received some "Tonina spec." (not fluvitalis) as can be seen in this pic -

In additon, I got some "Rotala spec. Nanjenshan", Blyxa japionica / echinosperma and Cyperus helferi. The Cyperus looks like it had been "trimmed" by cutting the leaves in the middle. Is this acceptable?

Also, if anyone has any tips on Gratiola spec (the one that looks like E. stellata) and Lagarosiphon madagascariensis I'd appreciate that too -- I am expecting to get those sometime this week.

Thanks in advance!
    -Tony

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, if you can grow Rotala macandra like those in your tank, the plants you mentioned shouldn't be a problem.

I am becoming a fan of Gratiola, after a single reject stalk from a LFS turned into a whole grove. Bright light produces the deepest colours and robust growth. Unlike many stem plants, it withstands several rounds of trimming, sending out new adventitious side stems readily. Just remove the parent stalk and replace it with top cuttings when the former looks obviously exhausted.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Budak, gratiola sounds very nice. Can I know where I might be able to find some. Or if you have spare on your next trimming can think of me?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i just threw a bunch of it away last weekend. Must wait a couple of weeks for the next trimtime.

You can see what it looks like in an aquascape at the e-aquaria site below.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Marcus, does your Gratiola get such intense brownish-red as in the link?
    Mine is light green but shows deep purple at most when they reach the light. Almost red when they grow out of the water.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/27/2002 10:04:20 AM

i just threw a bunch of it away last weekend. Must wait a couple of weeks for the next trimtime.

You can see what it looks like in an aquascape at the e-aquaria site below.

[url=http://www.e-aquaria.com/exp_jkropp.html/url]
    ----------------
    alamak, well think of me in a few weeks' time, thanx

BTW, I think I have E. stellata (bought from Sam Yick) which looks pretty much like the ones in the picture. Would gratiola look distinct when planted next to E. stellata?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy: Gratiola is easier to grow than E. stellata

See this thread
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Tony. Nice to know you're one who goes for rare & exotic plants. Must be real costly to buy 'em in the states huh. I'm keepin' Tonina sp., Tonia fluviatilis. Eriocaulonceae sp., Ludwigia sp. ( looks like E. stellata ) and a few other rare ones. Tonina specimens are very demanding plants. Few pointers to share with you,

1) They need plenty of CO2, light & fertilization.
    2) Thumb of rule for CO2, at least 3 bubble / sec for a 3 ft tank.
    3) Lights. I use a mixture of tri-phosphor FL tubes and PLs. 6500K & 10000K
    respectively. Thumb of rule, 3-4 FL/ PL tubes for a 2 - 3 ft tank. More
    if your tank is bigger.
    4) Fertilization. Abundant base fertilizer and regular dosage of iron & trace
    elements.
    5) Also, watch your water parameters. Tonina originate from the soft
    waters of S. America. Mostly in cristalinos & blackwaters. Thumb of rule,
    kH 0-2 dH, gH - not exceeding 10 dH, pH 6.0 - 6.8.

Hope you'll find them useful. []
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    budak, now I'm a bit unsure if I have the gratiola or the E. stellata. It is very easy to grow (lots of lights and CO2) but some heads are yellow/red while others are green.

Well, maybe when I get some gratiola from you I'll be able to compare.

thanx.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Besides Riccia Fluitan, Gratiola sp is my favourite plant as it is a striking addition to my planted tank. Gratiola sp is an undemanding plant if compare to E.stellata. I'm also interested in Tonina sp however it is too expensive that i cannot afford, furthermore it is a challenging plant. According to the Taiwanese and Japanese magazines, Tonina sp prefer low temparature to maintain tip-top condition.(About 23C).

I wish i had a chiller.[]
    Aquatic plants and LEGO collector.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Unfortunately, the pic is not of my tank, so I don't have macaranda that looks like that!! [] The pic was one of the tanks of the guy that sent me the plants.

Also, it is difficult to know what kinds of parameters you guys use compared to what we do in the US. For example, we usually talk about Watts Per Gallon when we talk about lighting. Eg, I have 206 watts of compact flourescent lighting (PL to you guys?) on my 60 gallon tank (120cmX40cmX45cm) for ~3.4 watts per gallon. This is considered a fairly high light level. Also, we usually set CO2 by ppm of CO2 and not bubble rate - eg I have ~25-30 ppm in my 60gal (4 foot) tank.

Thanks again!
    -Tony

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/27/2002 4:52:14 PM

Besides Riccia Fluitan, Gratiola sp is my favourite plant as it is a striking addition to my planted tank. Gratiola sp is an undemanding plant if compare to E.stellata. I'm also interested in Tonina sp however it is too expensive that i cannot afford, furthermore it is a challenging plant. According to the Taiwanese and Japanese magazines, Tonina sp prefer low temparature to maintain tip-top condition.(About 23C).

I wish i had a chiller.[]
    ----------------
    Toninia sp requires 23 degrees??
    I have some growing .... @ 28 degrees.... growing like a charm....
    so dun think thats a problem... As Charles...(my guru) mentioned previously last time... these plants actually originated in some part of South America... correct Charles??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Wow, that is a good news for me. Anyway, we cannot deny that Tonina sp prefer low temparature as it has been proved by Japanese, Taiwanese and HK guys.

May i know what kind of substrate you are using? Something like Lonestar or those similar to Nisso Volca Sand and ADA aquasoil. Tonina sp is very popular among HK guys, their secret weapons are ADA aquasoil as it provide low ph substrate environment which is another important criteria in cultivating Tonina sp.

An informative Taiwanese website in Tonina sp
    http://www.g-h.idv.tw/index2.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lonestar....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    That's another good news to me. Anyway, are you interested in selling your Tonina sp? If yes, how much is per stalk?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You have anything rare to barter trade with??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    IHMO, Tonina sp. are tropical specimens & yes gchoo, you're right. They do come from S. America. 99% of aquatic plants prefer low temperature but they'll still grow well within reasonable scales. Mine are growing healthily with a temp of 26 degrees celsius & I only use a fan. As for its requirements,
    I've mentioned earlier. I believe gchoo's Tonina is growing very well too.
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    gchoo,
    I don't have any rare species for barter trade. Anyway, i'll be very keen if you can offer Tonina to me cheaply. Please post your Tonina and share it with us.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What's your email address?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast