Images
    Country
    Singapore

ADA soil

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    what are the specific differences between the Africana and Amazonia type of ADA soil?
    The name suggest different geographical area and also the color is different.... but specifically what are the detail differences?

I like the brown color of the Africana type but worry that the condition may not be ideal for amazonian fishes like angels and tetras.

i hv got the black amazonian type for my cardinals but find that the type of black/texture does not look as nice as the brown africana type though the cardinal would prefer a darker base.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, what I've heard from the ppl at Biotope Aq, is that there is no difference between the 2 soils except in colour. Both are designed for the same function: to replicate conditions of jungle waters, low pH, soft, etc.

I'm inclined to think that there is some difference in the soils, e.g in mineral content, producing slightly different water qualities to more closely mimic the waters of the 2 respective continents. However, these differences should be minor, and I think that fish from either Africa or SA should be comfortable in either soil.

Just my 2 cents, I'm not very sure about this myself. Hope someone else with more experience can put an end to this mystery.

Matt

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    perhaps someone can write to ADA directly and ask about the compound in their ADA aquasoil. I too also have heard that there isn't any differences beside the coloration

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    *please simon dun smack budak*

the www.aquaticplantcentral.com forum now has a discussion section under the "Aquarium Design Group" heading (ADG is ADA distributor in USA), where detailed discussion on ADA products is being done. Do a search and read around in there before you ask any question that has probably already been answered.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some frens told me the black one reduces the ph more than the brown one

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Its understandable that ppl tend to relate the ADA "Malayan" AquaSoil to the natural low ph condition in southeast asia forested stream.

Having tried both, tested with JBL PH indicator, it shows that Malayan, African and Amazonia produced the same result using the same quantities added into an aquarium. For ADA AquaSOil, the quantities of soil added does matter as the more soil is used the more acidic it becomes. Adding a thick layer of ADA Aquasoil gave me the acidity effect of Malaya forest stream.All different species of chocolate gourami love them, mouthbrooding is a rather common sight.