6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

New here, stumbled upon this hobby by chance

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I started this hobby early 2014 somewhat by chance when me and my kids caught some yabbies (Australian Red claws) down at Yishun Dam while lure fishing. Kids insisted to keep these critters as pets and so we brought a few good sized ones home in toyogo box.

Few days later drop by Seaview and got a Fluval Spec V set, some gravel substrate and random bogwood chosen by my kids. Back then I knew nuts about fish keeping (cycling, parameters, etc). I just dumped everything(including the yabbies) in the tank, filled it up with tap water and thought that was it. Kids loved it, yabbies seemed to love it(or so I thought).

Now I realized, damn! those yabbies were tough, they lived in that tank for over a month with minimal water change (only when smelly) and maximum feeding (kids were happily throwing food and I meant our food! like sausages, chicken meat, carrots into the tank and those yabbies ate them all!). Slowly, I made more mistakes such as planting stuff only to wake up next morning to see them get totally destroyed and introducing fish and expensive shrimp only for them to end up as yabby food. Oh well that was then and the sole single survivor(they maimed and killed each other) has since been released coz the pump broke down as too much gunk got stuck inside.

Since then this overpriced tank has gone through several modifications and as I slowly learned from many websites and forums, mostly this forum due to its relevancy (local context and freshwater).. here's a pic of the current tank, cycled and stable with no deaths for over a month and modded version 3 actually. Maybe I'll share more details in the beginner's corner when time permits.

V3 Tank.jpg

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New here, stumbled upon this hobby by chance

welcome to AQ !!!

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can you share how do you catch the yabbies ?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

looking good...
    Welcome to the hobby...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bangwalldie View Post
    Can you share how do you catch the yabbies ?
    Err.. bro, what I did back then was stupid and dangerous. The toyogo box was submerged with anticipation of the direction of escape when I overturn the rocks where they hiding. Luckily a friendly angler nearby advised against it as PUB patrols that area regularly. If get caught, will be issued summons, $200 if not wrong for 1st timer.

Anyway why you want to catch wild yabbies? They have parasites on them, ugly, eat and shit a lot. I have since discovered the less violent dwarf CPO and they come in blue color somemore!

blue dwarf craysfish.JPG