Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The World’s Largest Project of Nature Aquarium (2015) - Oceanário de Lisboa

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: The World’s Largest Project of Nature Aquarium (2015) - Oceanário de Lisboa

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Mildnomsed View Post
    Okay, I think this is a very old thread. But I have been wondering on the maintenance routine for a 40m tank like Oceanario de Lisboa. You can see hundreds and thousands of Amazonia soil being poured into the aquarium during its creation and everyone in the hobby knew that the lifespan for Amazonia is about 2 years before it turned into a muddy mess. I really wonder how is the ADA team going to "rescape" the tank after the Amazonia degrade? I don't think it's possible considering the size of the tank. They probably just add new Amazonia on top of the old ones.
    Depends on the batch of the Amazonia soil, Jacky's first 2FT with ADA powdered soil, is more than 3 years? While Rascal who uses ADA Amazonia for his CRS was 5 years while still buffering PH to 6.5. But mileage may differ. 40M tank or 2FT tank, as long as you have the resources and manpower, re-scaping can still be done if cost is not an issue.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Torque6,

True, but I am guessing that with that huge amount of money dumped into creating the world's largest freshwater aquascape, it will probably take 10 years or more to make a profit from the revenue. But I don't think the soil will lasts 10 years. I think it is not financially feasible to simply rescape the whole 40m tank. In fact, when Amano is creating the aquascape, it appears that he is planning for the tank to last 10 years or more. I am wondering anyone of the bros here knew what ADA does for the maintenance? Adding new Amazonia over the old ones once it has been degraded??
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hello Desmond, ADA soil will eventually turn to mud. Whether they rescape or have the intention to rescape the 40m tank, I really don't know, because I don't stay next to the tank, so to speak. I visitedグリーンアクアリウムマルヤマ some time back, and their ADA tanks are 3-9 months old. The girl in blue told me the IAPLC competition tank, in the pic below will be tore down soon. Don't know of course the definition of soon as again I wasn't there.

*copyright ADA Japan

If you want to use ADA for long term, my advise is don't. If you want a sustainable soil mix for long term use, do drop by Biotope at Boon Keng, Uncle Tan. His main 5 feet tank is 6-7 years old I think. Maybe longer.

Or you can check the 2hr Aquarist website set up by our leading entrepreneur, Denise Wong. He has a few write ups on soil type. He's is one of the most respected hobbyist in our community. You can't go wrong with his advice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi torque6,

Thank you so much for your advice.

Cheers!
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My 6 feet tank uses ADA soil and it's about 4 or 5 years old now. The soil is still holding its shape and form.

Edit: that said, early this year there was a international outcry that ADA Aquasoil quality had deteriorated and some of the recent supply of soil turned to mud within months.

The giant tank in Lisbon was not meant to last so long. Its a temporary display meant to be around for only 1 or 2 years (can't remember exactly). Currently, it is extended indefinitely as its quite popular. I guess they'll close it when maintanance outweighs the tangible/intangible value.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vinz; 18th Jul 2019 at 12:57.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post

Or you can check the 2hr Aquarist website set up by our leading entrepreneur, Denise Wong. He has a few write ups on soil type. He's is one of the most respected hobbyist in our community. You can't go wrong with his advice.
    Typo... Its Dennis, not Denise.

Sent using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    Typo... Its Dennis, not Denise.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Oh my god, since when Dennis swap to female! Grammarly auto correct at it's best.

Thank you Vincent.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I think ADA Amazonia soils can be used for quite long period. After 3 years and decomm, the soil in my tank is still in good shape.
    With the replenish of nutrients (i.e. from root tabs), I think the Aquasoil still can be a good medium for plants to thrive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello Vincent,

Yes, I heard about the recent outcry about Amazonia soil. Can you share some photos on your 6 ft? Running with sump or canister? I have the intention to get a 6 ft as well, but HDB permit required.

Hmm... it would be a waste if the 40m tank in Oceanario de Lisboa to be torned down. It's the last masterpiece of Amano afterall.

Hello Torque6,

I do some readup on the articles Dennis wrote. Great information. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mildnomsed View Post
    Hello Vincent,

Can you share some photos on your 6 ft? Running with sump or canister? I have the intention to get a 6 ft as well, but HDB permit required.

My tank is running with a sump. If you don't intend to put big fish, I feel a 4x2x2 is the max in terms of size vs maintenance effort required. But don't let my opinion stop you. I love giant planted tanks too.

I'm running 6x2x2 because of the main resident. See for yourself.

https://youtu.be/jFUpVIyMmCI

Sent using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Vincent,

That's a magnificent tank! Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,

Desmond

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123