1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Qian Hu executive charged in Australia for smuggling endangered fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Qian Hu's head of Group Integrated R&D Department Alex Chang Kuok Weai is charged with one count of importing in breach of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), according to The Australian.

SINGAPORE: An executive from ornamental fish service provider Qian Hu Corporation was on Monday (Feb 9) charged in Australia for attempting to smuggle A$300,000 (S$315,000) worth of endangered fish into the country on Feb 2.
    According to The Australian, Singaporean Alex Chang Kuok Weai appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday, via video link, and was charged with one count of importing in breach of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
    Court documents stated that Australian Customs and Border Protection Services officers found 20 plastic bags concealed in Chang’s luggage after a flight from Singapore. A number of endangered fish — some alive, some dead — were found inside those bags, and the total value of the fish was almost A$300,000, it added.
    When contacted by Channel NewsAsia, a Qian Hu spokesperson said: "Alex was on annual leave when he visited Australia in his personal capacity. We are not in a position to comment as this case is in the hands of the Australian authorities." The spokesperson confirmed Chang is the company's Head of Group Integrated R&D Department.
    CURRENT CHARGE MAY NOT BE FINAL
    The Australian also reported that Chang's arrest had triggered further investigations, and prosecutor Elim Chan asked for a "longer-than-usual adjournment so these could continue".
    "There are international investigations underway, and the current charges may well not be the final ones," Ms Chan said in the article. She said 26 of the fish seized were believed to be from the species listed under CITES, but officers were verifying the exact number.
    Chang's lawyer, Jessica Kurtzer, said her client intended to apply for bail but "his proposed guarantor was no longer able to assist".
    "I'm currently speaking with his employers in Singapore, who are assisting him. They are endeavouring to find a suitable address for him," Ms Kurtzer said.
    Chang was remanded in custody until next month, The Australian reported.

- CNA/kk
    Note: Since i am a noob, cant post anything of help to people (yet). So maybe such fish-related news maybe of interest to the people here. Mod pls delete if deem inappropriate

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Qian Hu executive charged in Australia for smuggling endangered fish

Yeah, saw that news. Kind of sad

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Seriously... what is there to be sad about?
    You are personally in the trade, you knows the rules and you break the rules.
    And of all place, you try to challenge a country that are extremely strict with their imports..
    A typical case of what you reap, what you sow...
    Existing Line Breeding List:
    A.bitaeniata" Rio Tefe",A.bitaeniata" Mamuri",A.sp.Abacaxis,A.Piaroa"Colombia",A.uaupesi" Sao Gabriel",A.elizabethae"Sao Gabriel"
    Coming soon: And any other species of Apistogramma!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feel sad because some of the fishes died in the process.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Greed got no boundaries.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Greed recognise no border, so many went through, so many get caught.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any idea which fish species were involved? Are royal plecos considered endangered and subject to CITES trade controls like Asian arowana? Or does this fall under Australia's import laws? I've noticed that this species is not in the list of species that can be imported into Australia.
    http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiv...tic-fish-trade
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Google the subject, there are more picture. Look carefully at the packs the fish are in. Deduce the result.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Australia have strict laws regarding bringing in animals and food.
    The rule of thumb is, anything that are not native in AU,they are not allow to bring it in.
    Those who work in the import and export services will tell you how 'ngiau' the regulations are.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Not only that, these fish can easily decimate the entire population of the fishes and mess up the eco cycle of that area