Country
    Singapore

Dwarf Clayfish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Is dwarf clayfish ok with planted tank? Mix with guppies, tetra and platy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dwarf Clayfish

Clay fish cut other shrimps due to fighting with food,
    last week one of my buyer got it.
    I have kept them with fishes OK.
    But slow moving ones like goldfsihes
    will be their next meals.
    Give Man A Fish , U Feed Him A Day
    Teach Him How To Fish & U'll Feed Him A Lifetime
    ~ www.TropicalFisherMan.blogspot.com ~

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I used to have like 3 dwarf crayfish in my 5g planted nano together with cherry shrimps and neon tetras. The neon tetras slowly ended up being their food(saw them munching the dead fish especially on mornings). And will also will attack moulting shrimps. I have discarded 2 of the orange ones. But this one I somehow just can't bear to let go
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow is this even dwarf clayfish? Or the normal big blue clayfish? Very swee le.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by HBK16 View Post
    I used to have like 3 dwarf crayfish in my 5g planted nano together with cherry shrimps and neon tetras. The neon tetras slowly ended up being their food(saw them munching the dead fish especially on mornings). And will also will attack moulting shrimps. I have discarded 2 of the orange ones. But this one I somehow just can't bear to let go
    Have to be careful when buying "dwarf crayfish" some LFS just put them as dwarf crayfish but those buggers will GROW. Best to ask the staff whether they are CPO, cos I think that's the only really dwarf crayfish and comes in orange. At seaview it's labelled as dwarf but those become huge with time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

CPO are fine with those fishes as they occupy different level of the water. Just make sure, you don't have Co2 or else will harm the crayfish shell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Have to be careful when buying "dwarf crayfish" some LFS just put them as dwarf crayfish but those buggers will GROW. Best to ask the staff whether they are CPO, cos I think that's the only really dwarf crayfish and comes in orange. At seaview it's labelled as dwarf but those become huge with time.
    I saw at Y618. display at the shell near the cashier. Two for 10 bucks. Is that the real dwarf crayfish?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You have to keep an eye out, I believe at Y618 they have various types of that shelf, I think their Mexican dwarf crayfish CPO is $6 for one. Still best to get advice from the staff

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I recently bought my CPO from Y618 also.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    I recently bought my CPO from Y618 also.
    Will they destroy plant??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Will they destroy plant??
    I've kept them in a planted tank before... while they don't seem to bother tougher plants like anubias or java ferns, they did munch on some of my mosses and other small leaved plants (could see them pluck the leaves and chew on them), so thats something to look out for.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have came up with another nano 10l tank. This has 3 guppies and 2 yamatos in it. I saw orange dwarfs crawfish at CRS haven for $10eac and very tempted. I wondered if yamato will be pincer to death ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

$10 for one pc is too expensive for dwarf crayfish. I brought a packet of 5pcs for $15 from seaview. Like $3 each! Btw, crayfish kill one of my Otto. N tear off my guppy tail. Lol destroyer!
    crayfish will prey my Yamato too. Is just that my yamato run very fast. Btw mine is 2FT tank. Guess nano is small. No much hiding place.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is the orange kind from mexico? Lol so violent

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ya Mexican.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Some photo on my dwarf crayfish. I find them very cute la. I keep 5 of them in my 2FT planted tank. So far they only attack guppy, maybe their fin is long. I have 3 RCS and 2 yamato shrimp, but they seem dont bother about them.

One of the dwarf trying to climp up lolz.

Feeding time !! Timid dwarf quickly run away. But when they are really hungry, they will snatch the food and run away.

Trying to prey on Tetra !! Fat hope, my tetra all obese and powerful.

Dwarf give up on preying..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Wow is this even dwarf clayfish? Or the normal big blue clayfish? Very swee le.
    Hi, yes, it's a dwarf crayfish. I've had it since Oct 2014. Initially when I bought it's shrimp size like pic attached. It has molted several times since then to become like this colour. Do note it's not always 100% blue. Depending on age and molting stage it may transition from dirty blue with brownish specks to greenish and if you're lucky to very nice blue. It just molted again and color now is greyish blue(more grey than blue).

Btw bro, I see those stones in your tank with those whitish lines. You may want to take them out. Had bad experience with them before where the crayfish died when halfway molting.

Lastly, yes, these crayfish no matter how dwarfish are opportunist hunters. My neon tetras always ended up in their jaws. Having better luck with Boraras bridgitea now. No deaths so far since mid Jan when I bought 3 to control my seed shrimp infestation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Usually if these dwarf crayfish manage to grab a fish or shrimp, it is usually already too ill or weak and can't swim/jump away (which means the crayfish is helping to clear up dying/dead carcass in advance)... or the fish are sleeping/resting near the substrate or plants at night and the dwarf crayfish managed to sneak up on them and grab them (quite rare but it happens).

Either way, its just part of the joy of keeping crayfish... watching them grab and eat prey using their claws.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by HBK16 View Post
    Hi, yes, it's a dwarf crayfish. I've had it since Oct 2014. Initially when I bought it's shrimp size like pic attached. It has molted several times since then to become like this colour. Do note it's not always 100% blue. Depending on age and molting stage it may transition from dirty blue with brownish specks to greenish and if you're lucky to very nice blue. It just molted again and color now is greyish blue(more grey than blue).

Btw bro, I see those stones in your tank with those whitish lines. You may want to take them out. Had bad experience with them before where the crayfish died when halfway molting.

Lastly, yes, these crayfish no matter how dwarfish are opportunist hunters. My neon tetras always ended up in their jaws. Having better luck with Boraras bridgitea now. No deaths so far since mid Jan when I bought 3 to control my seed shrimp infestation.
    Wa that is a really small crayfish !! Where u get it from? Blue lobster and Red colour Mexican dwarf crayfish is common. What happen to the whitish line rock?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Usually if these dwarf crayfish manage to grab a fish or shrimp, it is usually already too ill or weak and can't swim/jump away (which means the crayfish is helping to clear up dying/dead carcass in advance)... or the fish are sleeping/resting near the substrate or plants at night and the dwarf crayfish managed to sneak up on them and grab them (quite rare but it happens).

Either way, its just part of the joy of keeping crayfish... watching them grab and eat prey using their claws.
    yeah I thought No Way they could get smaller fishes like tetra, Endlers etc cod just seem too fast. But when those fishes sleep at night hahah they sink near to the substrate and there's the crayfish chance to own lol

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast