Singapore

HELP: Mini Pellia turning brown

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all,

hope to get some help here.
    I am setting up a new tank and it has been 3 weeks now.
    I have mini pellia tied to 4 big lava rocks and mini fissidens tied to many smaller lava rocks.

The mini pellia initially is growing well. It is pearling even before new shots appear.
    However this past week, MP on 2 pieces of the lava rocks started to turn brown.
    And it seems to get worse day by day, like spreading.
    The other 2 MP rocks are still growing well.
    I don't think so this is algae, but not sure why this 2 rocks MP started to turn brown.

My setup :
    2x1x1.5 tank
    Chiller set to 24.5 to 25.5
    CO2 at 2bps
    ADA soil
    No fauna except 1 horn snail

These are the changes as far as I can remember in the past week :
    1. I lower the chiller temp by 0.5 deg. Used to be 25 to 26 deg.
    2. I increase the CO2 from 1bps to 2bps.
    3. I started to dose Borneo Wild Ferrum

Now, I have reverted CO2 back to 1 bps and stopped dosing Ferrum.

Please help.
    The pictures below show the good and the brown MP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: HELP: Mini Pellia turning brown

I've been unsuccessful with mini pellia too. Bought bright green and after a few months turn dark green/black. While other moss like x-mas moss grows like weeds, my many batches of mini pellia bought from various sources seems stunted. Place them in high light or low light areas of the tank seems not to change anything.

My fert regime is the usual dry dose NPK + trace. Every other plant type, red stalk plants, rosette plants and hairgrass thrives. I have this feeling my tank pH is a factor as I keep it low at pH 5.5 during the photoperiod. I also use ADA soil.

My tank temperature too is set to 25-26C. My tank is a high-light tank setup with areas of low light using DIY LEDs and CO2 injection via external reactor. I use 1 deg pH drop to determine ample CO2 instead of bps though this is not a guarantee way to be sure of sufficient CO2 but it works for all my other plants and fishes.

Wanted to reduce CO2 injection to increase pH but I do not want to slow down growth of the other plants. My situation is every other plants and mosses are ok except mini pellia. So I can safely say nutrient/light/temp is not the issue, at least, for me. It could also be water flow or agitation on the mini-pellia as my cluster is in the flow of my powerhead too. Maybe even could be down to some dumb luck. I have spent a considerable amount of $$$ to acquire them. Sigh.
    Last edited by greenie; 14th Feb 2015 at 05:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Your setup seems okay for plant growth.

Your MP could still been acclimatizing to the new water parameters. 3 weeks is too short to make a conclusion. What you need is patience. When you see new growth in a few more weeks, you will be delighted.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

greenie & atolylica, thanks for your replies.

I checked with an expert in growing moss and he is saying that it could be my KH.
    currently my KH is zero, and he recommends KH of 3 or 4 for growing moss.
    It could be the cause because i was changing water (about 30%) like every other day to lower the ammonia.
    and with KH low, the PH swing could be high.
    maybe MP is very sensitive to PH swing.

ya, i am now monitoring and hoping that things will turn better.
    hope my patience pays off.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sword28 View Post
    greenie & atolylica, thanks for your replies.

I checked with an expert in growing moss and he is saying that it could be my KH.
    currently my KH is zero, and he recommends KH of 3 or 4 for growing moss.
    It could be the cause because i was changing water (about 30%) like every other day to lower the ammonia.
    and with KH low, the PH swing could be high.
    maybe MP is very sensitive to PH swing.

ya, i am now monitoring and hoping that things will turn better.
    hope my patience pays off.
    Let's do this together swor8. While I can't help with my tank pH swing, during C02 injection pH dip from 6.5 to 5.5 and back up when injection off, I do can keep KH more constantly around 3-4 using seachem equilibrium.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

greenie, seacham equilibrium can maintain KH? I read the description is only increase GH? I now use baking soda to up KH but it always goes bk to Zero. Sigh. You tried equilibrium can maintain KH?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

greenie, seacham equilibrium can maintain KH? I read the description is only increase GH? I now use baking soda to up KH but it always goes bk to Zero. Sigh. You tried equilibrium can maintain KH?
    Oops, I meant calcium carbonate dry form. Yeah Equilibrium for GH more than Kh. Thanks for pointing out.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure about KH affecting mini pellia growth, but from my experience with them so far, i noticed the mini pellia in my low tech tank without any fertilizer dosing seems to grow noticeably healthier and brighter then the ones in my high tech tank with lots of fertilizer dosing.

So it might be a case whereby mini pellia could sometimes get "burnt" by high nutrient content in the water column. Just a guess.

Btw, it's usually not a good idea to dose pH or KH additives when using active soil substrates like ADA aquasoil (which are constantly working to reduce pH and KH), that will just serve to "fight" against the soil characteristics and exhaust it's buffering capacity faster.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Not sure about KH affecting mini pellia growth, but from my experience with them so far, i noticed the mini pellia in my low tech tank without any fertilizer dosing seems to grow noticeably healthier and brighter then the ones in my high tech tank with lots of fertilizer dosing.

So it might be a case whereby mini pellia could sometimes get "burnt" by high nutrient content in the water column. Just a guess.
    Agrees with UA. My mini pellia grow quite well in my minimal fertilization, co2 shrimp tank, it's those kind of moss where they do well when you put it in and forget about it. I have some of the same batch in my high co2, fertilization and chilled tank and they don't seem to be doing great at the moment. Just weird like that...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone having mini pellia in non chiller tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seudzar View Post
    Anyone having mini pellia in non chiller tank?
    Mine that's growing well is not on chiller, but it's in an air-con room most of the day. Does that count haha.
    Last edited by Ingen; 16th Feb 2015 at 11:57.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My tanks have no chillers running on them either... current room/water temperature averages 27-28°C (thanks to the relatively cool weather these few months), but they have also been though those super hot hazy months in may/june where the water temperature went up to 30°C in the afternoons. Didn't notice much issues with the mini pellia growth during those temperature ranges either.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You guys all tempt me to try. Ingen, air con room consider chilled water

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

seudzar, yes, please go try. MP is the nicest moss to me.

UA, does PH and KH always go hand in hand? meaning to increase KH, only way is to increase PH?
    I am confused, because I thought KH is supposed to "guard" against PH swing, so how can it increase/decrease together with PH? I am lost.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ya, I guess mine turned brown is also maybe because it gets "burnt" by the bornewild ferrum.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

UA, does PH and KH always go hand in hand? meaning to increase KH, only way is to increase PH?
    I am confused, because I thought KH is supposed to "guard" against PH swing, so how can it increase/decrease together with PH? I am lost.
    Well... in simple terms, KH (carbonate hardness) helps to buffer against pH swings, so if you want to have a higher pH (ie. keeping hardwater fishes like african lake cichlids), then the KH will also need to be high enough to keep the pH stable... but this is based on tanks that do not use active soil substrates and which want to maintain specific (usually higher) pH conditions.

In tanks using active soil substrates, the soil substrate itself now controls and buffers the pH (usually keeping it lower to encourage plant growth) and hence it also has to lower the KH too (often until 0-1) in order to maintain the lower pH (otherwise the pH will keep increasing), so it works on a different way compared to tanks which use inert substrates.

Most of the aquarium chemistry articles and forum threads you've probably read online are written by "traditional" aquarists using gravel or sand substrates and focusing mainly on keeping fishes (especially those posted in overseas USA forums and sites, check their post dates too, some are super old and they are still using plastic fake plants). They are not running high-tech planted tanks with ADA Amazonia aquasoil and live plants so their information and approach is different.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 16th Feb 2015 at 15:59.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    My tanks have no chillers running on them either... current room/water temperature averages 27-28°C (thanks to the relatively cool weather these few months), but they have also been though those super hot hazy months in may/june where the water temperature went up to 30°C in the afternoons. Didn't notice much issues with the mini pellia growth during those temperature ranges either.
    Odd mine died off within a week at high temp 28-30, where you get your mp batch from?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    Odd mine died off within a week at high temp 28-30, where you get your mp batch from?
    I got my mini pellia from a friend, he also grew his mini pellia in non-chilled tank. Could be based on temperature acclimation (perhaps the plant tissue is already in "warm water" form?)... though when plants don't do well in tanks, it could also be due to other parameters and conditions, might not be just temperature.

Guess if a plant really needs cool water to grow and have to install chiller just to grow it, it'll be way too troublesome to keep.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'll go with the low kH theory for the moment to re-establish my Mini Pellia in my high light /fert dosing chilled tank. I've seen pics of UA's "park and forget" mini pellia tank. Even if I managed to grow a batch of mini pellia in our ambient temp (28-30C), low maintenance tank, it will of little use for me as I want to grow them in my high light main tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

maybe lets debunk the myth ,possibility of being killed by fertilizer is there , one observation i notice is most mp growers are usually in crs tank where fertilizer are hardly used ,sword mention that he added Borneo Wild Ferrum , which contains fe edta , which iron sulphate (thou not iron chelate) is used to get rid of moss and liverwort , currently i dont have any mp to test , can try some test on small container if you guys want

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast