Country
    Singapore

Re: Platinum Rummy Nose Tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by PKB View Post
    I think I have one platinum version in my tank that more aggressive. This platinum rummy nose take on my male german ram 1 on 1. It tries to nip the fin of the ram that it 4-5 times it size. The ram was flaring was trying to bite back but the rummy nose was too fast and swimming circles around the poor ram. it always end up getting a mouthful of ram. This few days she added my Apisto Caca to her bite list. Headache..

Not sure if it is always the same rummy nose but I don't have this problem keeping the normal version. Anyone experience such behavior with this platinum rummy nose before?
    Were they newly introduced? Perhaps it's exerting some territorial behaviours against other territorial fishes too, something like jockeying for position.

Come to think of it, i did notice something like that happening in my tank when i added the tetras to an existing group of boraras, there was abit of chasing around for the first few days. After some time, the boraras eventually claim the back of the tank and the tetras claim the front, once both groups settled into their areas, then no more chasing.

I guess sometimes that could happen in a tank with different fishes, they need some time to establish a pecking order amongst all the fishes, then things will eventually settle down.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This is the biggest headache of any fish keeper. I don't like to keep fish which bully other fish.
    (So far I find the most peaceful fish are those Cory Sterbais which I have kept before.
    They are so helpless because they can't even see food right in front of them except by smelling. Don't know about other Corys though.)

Since Platinum Rummynose is becoming so much in demand, the price will definitely shoot up later.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Nice ! The body so shiny. No wonder call platinum.
    These glittering Platinum gems are great to see at night with a lone spotlight shining on the tank from the front.

Incidentally, Guppies are also great for such an effect at night due to their superb flourescent colours.
    Carefully choosing the right type of spotlight and experimenting with the best placement will also enhance the effect and thus the satisfying experience.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They have been together for 3 weeks plus now, I think I have just this one particular rummy nose that is causing me issue. It has just chew off the extended dorsal fin of the ram. I can't remove it as it was to fast and alert and hid in the plants immediately when I tried to capture it. And these fishes all look the same, once they swim together I can recognize which is the trouble maker. In the end I removed the ram from the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Were they newly introduced? Perhaps it's exerting some territorial behaviours against other territorial fishes too, something like jockeying for position.

Come to think of it, i did notice something like that happening in my tank when i added the tetras to an existing group of boraras, there was abit of chasing around for the first few days. After some time, the boraras eventually claim the back of the tank and the tetras claim the front, once both groups settled into their areas, then no more chasing.

I guess sometimes that could happen in a tank with different fishes, they need some time to establish a pecking order amongst all the fishes, then things will eventually settle down.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm.. Running nose tetra should be quite peaceful. My german RAM is super aggressive! Always bully my poor angel fish. Oh yeah, running nose tetra confirm swim faster than neon tetra ! PM me, if you want to give away your RAM, haha. I am willing to adopt it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They have been together for 3 weeks plus now, I think I have just this one particular rummy nose that is causing me issue. It has just chew off the extended dorsal fin of the ram. I can't remove it as it was to fast and alert and hid in the plants immediately when I tried to capture it. And these fishes all look the same, once they swim together I can recognize which is the trouble maker. In the end I removed the ram from the tank.
    Good idea to remove the Ram. Maybe that chewing runny tetra is the leader of the pack. If you remove him, another one may become the new leader and you will be faced with same problem. Better to give away the Ram.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I wish let me know last few days earlier, my fault for not sharing the problem earlier. I gave the ram away to the fish farm that sell plants last Sunday. It is now swimming peacefully without getting chew on by my rummy nose.

Hmm.. Running nose tetra should be quite peaceful. My german RAM is super aggressive! Always bully my poor angel fish. Oh yeah, running nose tetra confirm swim faster than neon tetra ! PM me, if you want to give away your RAM, haha. I am willing to adopt it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You are right. It is like a fighter jet attacking a big commercial plane. The Ram stand no chance against the fast attacker. In the end I have to gave away a $15 fish because of a $3 fish. Haha...

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Good idea to remove the Ram. Maybe that chewing runny tetra is the leader of the pack. If you remove him, another one may become the new leader and you will be faced with same problem. Better to give away the Ram.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Alamak !! I love RAM. I have dedicated tank for cichild !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You are right. It is like a fighter jet attacking a big commercial plane. The Ram stand no chance against the fast attacker. In the end I have to gave away a $15 fish because of a $3 fish. Haha...
    That Ram must have been bullying other fish for a long time, so now let him have a taste of being bullied by some 'small fries' runny tetras, lol...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Alamak !! I love RAM. I have dedicated tank for cichild !
    The best chiclid I ever had was my Luohan, which had absolutely no bulge on the head, since I don't fancy those bulging "shou xing" foreheads.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think I have one platinum version in my tank that more aggressive. This platinum rummy nose take on my male german ram 1 on 1. It tries to nip the fin of the ram that it 4-5 times it size. The ram was flaring was trying to bite back but the rummy nose was too fast and swimming circles around the poor ram. it always end up getting a mouthful of ram. This few days she added my Apisto Caca to her bite list. Headache..

Not sure if it is always the same rummy nose but I don't have this problem keeping the normal version. Anyone experience such behavior with this platinum rummy nose before?
    Thanks for sharing. Good point to note. The platinum ones look more ferocious indeed compared to the normal ones. Think better don't try if have other livestocks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm my running nose keep nipping at my cherry shrimp. Didn't knw they are quite aggressive. Sigh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chanjwm View Post
    Wow very nice tank with those platinum rummy nose swimming around so happily! Wonder how long do u stare at them everyday..
    I don't think they are happy at all, because they have to 'brake' so often after 'accelerating'.
    It can be very frustrating for them. They are more suitable for a 5ft tank or larger.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    I don't think they are happy at all, because they have to 'brake' so often after 'accelerating'.
    It can be very frustrating for them. They are more suitable for a 5ft tank or larger.
    I agree, they are very active fishes and would definitely appreciate a longer tank, their schooling effect is much more apparent in a 3ft or larger tank.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I agree, they are very active fishes and would definitely appreciate a longer tank, their schooling effect is much more apparent in a 3ft or larger tank.

yup, finally after introducing my cardinals and everything else (minus the snailsssss) from my old tank they are kind of schooling better in the new 3 feet.
    Else in the old 2 feet like one "lump" / group turn swim abit turn back..hahaha..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm my running nose keep nipping at my cherry shrimp. Didn't knw they are quite aggressive. Sigh
    Whenever I see any fish damaging my other fish, I will immediately isolate them.

I used to have a bunch of Longfin Serpae Tetra that even damage each others' fins in their own group.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Does Seaview has them?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Brucegan2 View Post
    Does Seaview has them?
    So far i haven't seen them available at Seaview, only the normal ones available there.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Brucegan2 View Post
    Does Seaview has them?
    Saw some at GC Clementi last week.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast