Country
    Singapore

"Metaphor" - My First Attempt on an Iwagumi Aquascape

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello guys, i'm pleased to show you my first Iwagumi 2ft planted tank
    It's been up for a week now and so far so good.

http://fishandhamsters.blogspot.sg/2015/02/day-9-metaphor-its-up-and-running.html

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: "Metaphor" - My First Attempt on an Iwagumi Aquascape

Eheim surface skimmer has adjustable flow rate, it's not the most subtle equipment you can have in the tank. It's dark, long but works well.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For your drop checker... if its those type which use indicator reagent which you have to mix, make sure you use 4dkh water to mix with it (not aquarium water), or else the color readings will be incorrect. For convenience, you can also buy pre-mixed indicator solution from most LFS (ie. Ocean Free, ISTA brands).

As for surface skimmer, can consider the Ocean Free Surf Clear, it works well and has a lower flow rate, so wouldn't mess with your substrate or plants, here is a review on it: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ree-Surf-Clear
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    For your drop checker... if its those type which use indicator reagent which you have to mix, make sure you use 4dkh water to mix with it (not aquarium water), or else the color readings will be incorrect. For convenience, you can also buy pre-mixed indicator solution from most LFS (ie. Ocean Free, ISTA brands).

As for surface skimmer, can consider the Ocean Free Surf Clear, it works well and has a lower flow rate, so wouldn't mess with your substrate or plants, here is a review on it: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ree-Surf-Clear
    I honestly didn't know about this OF surface skimmer until I saw your post and read your review of it. I immediately purchased one from seaview and it's 15$ cheaper than eheim so that's a very good deal. It's also a very nice looking equipment and not bulky at all. And the performance, it's great! Within an hour the surface becomes crystal clear and it added enough agitation to keep it free from debris. The pump also provided a small amount of water flow making me remove the wave maker (at least for now). I should have installed a skimmer like this in my older tanks long ago!

So many thanks to you for this advise!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Asis View Post
    Hello guys, i'm pleased to show you my first Iwagumi 2ft planted tank
    It's been up for a week now and so far so good.

http://fishandhamsters.blogspot.sg/2015/02/day-9-metaphor-its-up-and-running.html

Thanks!
    very nice setup...will be super nice when the "grass" grows and fully carpet the ground.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi folks,

Here's the latest update on the tank
    So far so good on progress. No major issues encountered since the last update.
    New equipment were added/replaced.
    Thanks!

http://fishandhamsters.blogspot.sg/2015/02/day-19-metaphor-as-usual-diatoms.html

IMG_0842.jpgIMG_0848.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Good growth there. How come you didn't use Lily pipes? you did an awesome job with the hardscape.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ipit View Post
    Good growth there. How come you didn't use Lily pipes? you did an awesome job with the hardscape.
    Thanks Ipit!
    Are you referring to the crystal glass/acrylic inlet/outlet pipes? If yes, the main deterrent for me on those pipes is the cost. They are just too expensive for my budget. Also, I'm lazing when it comes to cleaning the pipes. EHEIM being colored dark green can sort of hide the muck build up inside the pipes so I can get away with leaving it without cleaning for several months

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice.. if you fix on Lily pipe.. make it better ! Haha poison. Why you need two Co2 drop checker?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Nice.. if you fix on Lily pipe.. make it better ! Haha poison. Why you need two Co2 drop checker?
    Oh I installed 2 temporarily because I'm observing if the other one has leak. I had incident a week ago where the color indicator turn clear.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Ipit!
    Are you referring to the crystal glass/acrylic inlet/outlet pipes? If yes, the main deterrent for me on those pipes is the cost. They are just too expensive for my budget. Also, I'm lazing when it comes to cleaning the pipes. EHEIM being colored dark green can sort of hide the muck build up inside the pipes so I can get away with leaving it without cleaning for several months
    You can consider ordering the acrylic lily pipe set from eBay, i reviewed it a while back:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...-Lily-Pipe-Set

Cost is only around S$30+ for the set and there is free shipping.

The good thing about acrylic lily pipes is you no longer have to worry about breaking them during cleaning. I've since switched the lily pipe on most my tanks to acrylic ones.

The wide mouth lily pipe outflow design also help to spread out the flow, so you get better circulation coverage in the tank (rather than a narrow flow from the existing eheim outflow pipe).

I guess its still better to have nice clear pipes in your tank, it will really complement the aquascape. Even if algae grows in them after a few weeks (could even be up to 2-3 months if your tank is relatively algae free), then just use a flexible brush to clean it, takes just a few minutes and you'll have sparkling clear lily pipes again... sure beats looking at eheim pipes that are permanently green.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You can consider ordering the acrylic lily pipe set from eBay, i reviewed it a while back:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...-Lily-Pipe-Set

Cost is only around S$30+ for the set and there is free shipping.

The good thing about acrylic lily pipes is you no longer have to worry about breaking them during cleaning. I've since switched the lily pipe on most my tanks to acrylic ones.

The wide mouth lily pipe outflow design also help to spread out the flow, so you get better circulation coverage in the tank (rather than a narrow flow from the existing eheim outflow pipe).

I guess its still better to have nice clear pipes in your tank, it will really complement the aquascape. Even if algae grows in them after a few weeks (could even be up to 2-3 months if your tank is relatively algae free), then just use a flexible brush to clean it, takes just a few minutes and you'll have sparkling clear lily pipes again... sure beats looking at eheim pipes that are permanently green.
    Thanks UA, will check that acrylic lily pipe and consider a change once the wife approves the budget
    I just a water change this weekend and started introducing livestock. From here on, water change will be once a week only. the diatoms are gone in a day once otocinclus moved in. They never dissappoint!

By the way, I havent decided what type of schooling fish will I put in the tank. I really like small ones and prefer tetras. The smallest ones I know are gold tetras but I also like the color of emperor and black emperor tetras. Do these two grow bigger than gold tetras?
    Last edited by Allan Asis; 2nd Mar 2015 at 08:53.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, I havent decided what type of schooling fish will I put in the tank. I really like small ones and prefer tetras. The smallest ones I know are gold tetras but I also like the color of emperor and black emperor tetras. Do these two grow bigger than gold tetras?
    Gold tetras grow up to 5cm length... if size and scale ratio is important, maybe consider green neon tetras? They stay smaller at around 2-3 cm in length.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Gold tetras grow up to 5cm length... if size and scale ratio is important, maybe consider green neon tetras? They stay smaller at around 2-3 cm in length.
    Hmmm... I have a few gold tetras in my old tank but they seem to stay small, around 2cm. They have been in the tank for almost a year now. the black neon tetras are big though, twice their size.
    I'll show some pictures when I reach home to confirm with you guys if they are indeed the species I thought they are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I kept gold tetras before too and they were around 4-5cm, i bought them when they were adult size though... maybe they grow slowly when purchased as juveniles?

2cm is very small, like boraras.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I kept gold tetras before too and they were around 4-5cm, i bought them when they were adult size though... maybe they grow slowly when purchased as juveniles?

2cm is very small, like boraras.
    I got 50 ember tetra from seaview yesterday! They are amazing!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I updated my blog on this tank. Feel free to check out some of the images from the link. Thanks!

http://fishandhamsters.blogspot.sg/2...n-diatoms.html
    011.jpgfb.jpg

I got a budget for a new light set by the way, and I'm leaning towards getting this Odyssea Quad 4x24W T5HO fixture with 6500K bulbs. What do you think about this equipment? Or should I go with LED? I saw one that is a little more expensive but still within my budget. It's the Odyssea Evo 48W with 3Wx16 LED's, designed for planted tank as the description in the box says. Is it better?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Latest update... got busy at work the last few weeks so kinda neglected the tank

http://fishandhamsters.blogspot.sg/2...ae-eaters.html

027.jpg030.jpg034.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It's been a while since my last update... but here it is. It has come a long way and probably look a little different now than in my last update.
    Feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks

20150614_g04.jpg154.jpg20150614_g01.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks great!
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast