1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Seaview SAE fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone know that Seaview SAE fish is the REAL SIAMESE algae eater? Because the tank written in Chinese is flying fox. I read from some other website that a lot of LFS selling the fake SAE, which is totally not eating algae and aggressive fish.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Seaview SAE fish

There's an article shared by one of moderator, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ater%29-%28%29

Have fun reading.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If the retail tank at Seaview is labelled as chinese flying fox, then its not the real SAE.

They usually have another tank with real SAE (i bought my fishes from there before) and it will be labeled as "SAE", if they are in stock. Still best to compare them with photos online to double-confirm before buying though.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oblongus.jpg
    Seaview is selling this type, exactly the same.
    So this one is it the real SAE, or there is totally no 100% SAE? Haha, i am confused with long article !!
    I brought a pair, but one jump out from my tank. When i discover it, it is too late !! I notice thay did eat algae, but when i feed my other fish with food. This SAE will eat the fish food too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    If the retail tank at Seaview is labelled as chinese flying fox, then its not the real SAE.

They usually have another tank with real SAE (i bought my fishes from there before) and it will be labeled as "SAE", if they are in stock. Still best to compare them with photos online to double-confirm before buying though.
    The tank show SAE and below in chinese flying fox.. ***.. confuse ppl. Later i going to seaview with my colleague. I will try to take a pic and show your all.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    The tank show SAE and below in chinese flying fox.. ***.. confuse ppl. Later i going to seaview with my colleague. I will try to take a pic and show your all.
    So confusing, looks like the staff never label properly... or maybe they use both names because they are also not sure.

Yeah, SAE will also eat fish food. In fact, they prefer fish food (its probably tastier and need less work to eat), so try not to feed too much to your fishes or else as the SAE get accustomed to scavenging leftover fish food they will start to get lazy and not eat algae, end up just sitting around like the other fishes waiting for daily feedings of tasty fish food.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is this is the real SAE? Lolz.. See the chinese wording (Flying fox)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Okay, looks like you'll have to do your own closer inspection to check the features of SAE... here is a good photo which helps to ID the fishes:

Photo Source: http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm

Due to the stressed out pale coloration of the fishes at Seaview (can't use body or fin color to ID), the main feature i looked out for when i bought my SAE were the mouth barbels... flying fox has 2 pairs of barbels, while the SAE has only 1 pair. You'll have to look very closely to confirm it.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The last time I bought SAE from the same tank, they turned out to be the real deal.

Unfortunately in the Span of 3 months, all 3 have committed suicide by doing the leap of faith...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

UA,

I think seaview SAE is the real deal. It has similar feature as the website that you provided. I did a close up shot. Sorry for the poor quality, i using Ip6 camera.
    My SAE really did help to clear some of my algae.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That should be the correct species... looks like the same as the ones i got from Seaview, except mine were the really young juvenile 2-3cm length ones without much color (but they grew quickly over a few months).

Yours look like young adult SAE with nice color already developing, they will do a good job clearing brush algae, just try not to let them get too used to scavenging commercial food that drift past the other fishes.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

I've read somewhere in this forum that SAE is known to uproot carpet plants like HC. Is that true? Anyone have that experience in their tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stream View Post
    I've read somewhere in this forum that SAE is known to uproot carpet plants like HC. Is that true? Anyone have that experience in their tank?
    Newly setup tank where the plants have not yet taken root, SAE or any bottom feeding fish tend to uproot carpeting plants like HC. in mature tanks where HC has grown roots to anchor themselves, SAE will not be able to uproot them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That should be the correct species... looks like the same as the ones i got from Seaview, except mine were the really young juvenile 2-3cm length ones without much color (but they grew quickly over a few months).

Yours look like young adult SAE with nice color already developing, they will do a good job clearing brush algae, just try not to let them get too used to scavenging commercial food that drift past the other fishes.
    Ya but seaview selling one is around this size. Where got sell young juvenile type? When i first brought it, the colour is pale, after a few days, my SAE colour grow better. Now very active and they really prefer fish flood !!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ya but seaview selling one is around this size. Where got sell young juvenile type? When i first brought it, the colour is pale, after a few days, my SAE colour grow better. Now very active and they really prefer fish flood !!
    I bought the juvenile ones from Seaview too... i guess it was a shipment of really small ones, and i also specifically choose to net out the smallest ones from the batch too (figured they would be more "hungry" for algae and cause less disturbance to the plants).

Here were the ones i got, not much color in the beginning and very small:

www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wa.. how come your SAE blue colour? Or lightning effect.. BTW, that is really a small SAE !! Now seaview selling one is like all adult liao.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wa.. how come your SAE blue colour? Or lightning effect.. BTW, that is really a small SAE !! Now seaview selling one is like all adult liao.
    Yeah, its actually silverish/white but my phone camera somehow pick up the slightly bluish reflections off the scales and fins.

Their "youth" didn't last long though, they eventually grew to around 6-7cm and started to chase the other fishes around and harass the shrimps, ended up they preferred to scavenge on dead shrimps and fish food rather than eat algae. After some time, i was noticing more and more dried up shrimps on the floor, caught the SAEs red-handed nipping at shrimps and causing them to jump out (they somehow developed a taste for shrimp meat?)... had to give them away after that.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

my SAE was awesoe when i first introduced to the tank, always grazing but after a few weeks, the SAE also join in with the rest of the Fauna. I approach the tank all will gather at the spot waiting and hoping for food to be dropped.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, its actually silverish/white but my phone camera somehow pick up the slightly bluish reflections off the scales and fins.

Their "youth" didn't last long though, they eventually grew to around 6-7cm and started to chase the other fishes around and harass the shrimps, ended up they preferred to scavenge on dead shrimps and fish food rather than eat algae. After some time, i was noticing more and more dried up shrimps on the floor, caught the SAEs red-handed nipping at shrimps and causing them to jump out (they somehow developed a taste for shrimp meat?)... had to give them away after that.
    Aiyo.. sound like the chinese algae eater !! Guess Oto is still the best.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ya but otos dont eat brush algae. Thats the only problem that my tank is facing now. I read that it might be due to circulation problems as well. Was planning to add another internal filter into it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast