Country
    Singapore

Plant Pruning

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey Folks,

Just a query. I am aware that most plants (stemmed or other wise) are able to "divide" when you prune them. Does this apply to E. Stellata or A. gracilis?

regards

jiesheng

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    For E-stelleta, pruning just the top ends will cause a stronger reaction to branch at the lower portions.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Plant Pruning

[quote:8561b6715e="gregorsamsa"]Hey Folks,

Just a query. I am aware that most plants (stemmed or other wise) are able to "divide" when you prune them. Does this apply to E. Stellata or A. gracilis?

regards

jiesheng[/quote:8561b6715e]

some plant hormones also encourage side shoots too, but the easiest is still trimming. If you have stemmed plants curtaining on the surface, they will produce alot of side shoots as well

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:53033d9279="ranmasatome"]For E-stelleta, pruning just the top ends will cause a stronger reaction to branch at the lower portions.[/quote:53033d9279]

Thanks for the added information.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    for eusteralis stellata, it is ok to just trim the top in my experience and branching will occur quite naturally and quickly. in my experience, Ammania gracillis does best when you replant the top cutting. the branching effect is weak and the new side shoot does not have stems as robust as the original plant.
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just one last question on Plant pruning,

I have visted one website (vectrapoint) and read one book (ADA book) which covers plant pruning. Illustrated, all the (stemmed) plants are trimmed to the same height?

Would it not in theory, be better to trim the plants in "layers" I.e. Background trim high, Foreground trim lowest?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Amano does a "crew cut" and then allows the plants to grow back to form a bush. He does differentiate between the heights of fore, mid and back ground plants depending on his intended effect.

The dis-advantage of his style of pruning is that you get a week or 2 where the tank is not presentable.

He also tweaks his fert dosage to during this period as the plant mass is significantly reduced (i.e. reducing uptake).

To do this, you also need to time the pruning so it is most beautiful when you are expecting guests. You also need to know which plants grow at what speed so that they will all reach the ideal height/bushiness at the same time.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:a60546c813="vinz"]....To do this, you also need to time the pruning so it is most beautiful when you are expecting guests.....[/quote:a60546c813]

yes, this is the interesting part of us, such as this CNY season, do the trimming 1 or 2 weeks beforehand to wait for the time to come.