Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Jelly like thing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi. had anyone encounter jelly like marterial in floating in the tank? It starts to appear during the 4th day of the cycling. It actually look like 0.5cm x 0.5cm transluscent material, I can hardly feel it with my fingers. Some are growing around the suckers, CO2 test kit.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    protein film? just remove it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's no the type of protein film that appears on top of the water.
    It is floating in the water..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon we experienced the same jelly-like slim when we first setup the 3ft tank in the 'project' last year. It is transparent and you can feel it with your finger. You can almost scoop it up with a net but it will eventually go through the fine mesh.

Golfmad experienced the same thing when he did his big tank 2 years back.

Jason,
    Do you use any bogwood in your new setup? If so, is it a new piece?
    How about floating plants? What floating plants do you have?
    How big is your tank and what is your lighting (wattage) and photo-period (hrs per day)?
    What plants do you have in there?

Reason why I ask is because I am trying to draw parallels between the setup I know that encountered this type of jelly-problems vs those that did not.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nicky, I got that flim too when I had my 2ft set up.

The funny thing was, it was already present in the water, before anything else other than ADA Aquasoil was put in.

jansonx, it will go away after a while. Don't worry.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:5b36a66693="|squee|"]Nicky, I got that flim too when I had my 2ft set up.

The funny thing was, it was already present in the water, before anything else other than ADA Aquasoil was put in.

jansonx, it will go away after a while. Don't worry.[/quote:5b36a66693]

You mean after the Aquasoil and water went in, you saw the jelly on the surface? How soon did the jelly appear? It went away after a while in the setup I know, but anybody knows what is that and what causes it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i got the jelly thing forming ard the suckers when i was using DIY CO2 then. but as the tank stablised and water aged, the jelly thing sort of jus disappear.... hmmmm.....
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    use mollies for the removal job?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:952695b3a2="Nicky"]
    You mean after the Aquasoil and water went in, you saw the jelly on the surface? How soon did the jelly appear? It went away after a while in the setup I know, but anybody knows what is that and what causes it?[/quote:952695b3a2]

No idea. It seemed to have come from the water. Something like small peices of tissue paper in the water. The jelly was already there minutes after I added water for the very first time into my tank. And it wasn't on the surface... it floated around in the water.

Another of those water mysteries I suppose :P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The jelly like thing appears 4 days after setup (without any bogwood). It also stay the suckers, co2 test kit (and make it look like jelly fish).
    I uses 216W lighting, it a 4ft x 1.5ft x 2ft tank.
    No floating plants.

I had a feeling that is got to do with co2. My tap water pH is abt 8, if i turned my co2 on, it would be abt 6.5. KH remains at 2 dk.

The tank water get slight cloudy (have to look from certain angle) by itself too. Could it be baterica bloom?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can't be the C02... unless yours is DIY? Some people talk about having white stuff around thier diffusors when they use DIY C02.. :s

Just a far-fetched thought: Are you using the same bucket to soak your DW and to fill your tank with? Because I did, and perhaps the "jelly" could have came from there.

Bacterial blooms are natural. No problem at all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Surface sum? Likely to do with O2 levels in the tank. When plant production is good (loads of O2), I don't get it. Only when things go south do I have it.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not a DIY co2. But found out that they like to grow areas where air is trapped overnight...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just curious, those who got the jelly stuff are using DIY CO2?
    Allen

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I had this slimy thingy also in my 1.5ft set up quite sometime back. It started a couple days or so after adding water to the Azoo gravel that I use. Frequent water changes didn't help at all as they multiply very quickly. So, I added those feeder fishes(Platy) and within a couple of days, they dissapeared. Don't know what they were but am sure the feeder fishes that I added did they trick.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Hey Everyone!!

Just set up my 3ft tank and i found this stuff too!!! good thing to hear that it is harmless...at first i saw it all over the driftwood...they mostly appear in the corners and crevices...i thought it was the beginings of BBA...almost went sian immediately...

i'm using regular lapis sand with CO2 solenoid...i think appears when the water starts to get clear....will get some platies to see if it really goes away...

oh more points to add...3 pieces of bog wood and floating plants covering about 3/8 of the tank. will remove flaoting plants once water becomes clear... no skimmer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Its fungus...I presume it look like the same thing that wrap itself with dead fishes as well??...Dun worry, most new tanks has it some how or another...over time, it will go away. usually I just fan it with my figers to try to dissolve it and let my filter do the rest...

Feedback Score
    i also have it. 4 days after new tank setup. it actually grows inside the eheim plastic hose. if you squeeze the hose a little bit you will see more coming out. my previous 2 feet tank also had. do you ppl use new eheim hose? i suspect it only happens with new eheim hose.

i know it will go away after a while but it's quite annoying at this moment. my SAE seems eating it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:94d55b8f4f="liuhao"]i suspect it only happens with new eheim hose.[/quote:94d55b8f4f]
    I encountered the jelly thingy when i was using DIY CO2 in a 2ft setup with no eheim products... so i think this suspect is out....
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:42c152cf8d="wf7850"][quote:42c152cf8d="liuhao"]i suspect it only happens with new eheim hose.[/quote:42c152cf8d]
    I encountered the jelly thingy when i was using DIY CO2 in a 2ft setup with no eheim products... so i think this suspect is out.... [/quote:42c152cf8d]

thanks for the clarification.

i am using co2 cannister + solenoid + ph controller. so DIY CO2 is not the reason and out as well. -)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast