Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyed Plant

Dyed Plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently I bought a packet of small plants from a LFS, the colour was originally dark red. But after a few days in my tank, the new leaves are green in colour. And I observed that the original leaves are turning green as well. Are they dyed in the first place? or the condition of my tank is turning them green.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Should be the condition changes which causes the color change for the plant. Some plants sold in lfs are emersed form, so when u plant inside your tank, immersed form, the plants color changes.

Better if u identify the plant name.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Could also be not enough light. Some plants turn redder as the grow towards the light, eg. Bacopa caroliniana, Hygrophila polysperma.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Definitely not enuf light. Most red plants need lots of lights. What is your tank size and lightings?

BC

My lightings are 2x36Wx1050mm Arcadia Original Tropical and 2x30Wx900mm Arcadia Fresh Water. My tank is 4 feet with CO2 system.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think 142W for 4ft is marginal only, for dark red plants may not really be enough.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What plant are we talking about?

but in anyway, I have yet to see dyed live-aquatic plants... not as if there a need to in the first place.

Hi hwchoy,how many watts are required for my tank? I may not have enough space to add more tubes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    could it be Lobelia cardinalis? emersed they r purple and submersed it turns green?

Lobelia cardinalis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I keep some Alternanthera Reineckii. I use to have about 2W per gal. All the leaves were brownish green and the new leaves were light green. When they grew taller towards the light they start to turn redder.

I just upgraded my lights to 2.6W per gal. The top leaves of the taller ones turned very red. But the shorter ones are still greenish. (Still not enuf light.[] )

IMO, go for about 3W per gal for Red plants. But as Simon suggested, better confirm what is the plant you have.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/27/2002 8:24:12 PM

Hi hwchoy,how many watts are required for my tank? I may not have enough space to add more tubes.
    ----------------
    you're gonna regret this...

as bclee also stated, you may need to get to 3W per gallon to have any real chance to keeping high-light plants, typically red plants need more lights. So given your 4ft tank (assuming 45cm height and 45-60cm width) you're talking about 65-85 gallons. Worst if it is 2ft high (114 gal).

To get the target 3W per gal, you will need 195W (65gal), 255W (85gal) or even 340W (114gal)!

If you need to get more wattage, you can either go for the MH lights or switch to PL tubes.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mmm.. just saw this at bear-head.com (aka Pet Provision)

they have a 4ft light housing 4x55W PL which is your dream come true lah!! Cost $240 only but think of all those beautiful red plants you can grow

Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I'm not able to identify the plant, very new to aquatic plants. Going through websites to find out more.

As for the lighting, found out that I can convert to PL lights. My light housing can take 4x36 PL tubes. This will cost me about ~$100+ at Nature. The total watts will be 220 for a 240L tank. Is this enough to see red in my plant?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/28/2002 3:15:52 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I'm not able to identify the plant, very new to aquatic plants. Going through websites to find out more.

As for the lighting, found out that I can convert to PL lights. My light housing can take 4x36 PL tubes. This will cost me about ~$100+ at Nature. The total watts will be 220 for a 240L tank. Is this enough to see red in my plant?
    ----------------
    Err Chye Beng, 4x36W only gives you 144W. If total is 220W then it is 4x55W. This is good because you will get an even spread of light source throughout the length of the tank. If 4x36W there will be gaps of dimness as the 36W PL tubes cannot cover the whole 4ft (36W PL is shorter than the 55W).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I will suggest MH afterall...
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/28/2002 11:38:40 PM

I will suggest MH afterall...
    ----------------
    mmm... but he will need 2 MH and that will cost close to $300?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Cost more then 300 =) A single MH petmart is selling at $350.

MH in the long run will beat PL FL hands and feets down.
    Cheers!

Benetay

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Err Chye Beng, 4x36W only gives you 144W. If total is 220W then it is 4x55W. This is good because you will get an even spread of light source throughout the length of the tank. If 4x36W there will be gaps of dimness as the 36W PL tubes cannot cover the whole 4ft (36W PL is shorter than the 55W).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    [/quote]

I forgot to mention that there is another 2x38 original lights that is mounted on the cover of the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lights is one thing, you would take note of your water parameters too like ferterlization. I do agree with the lights are insuffice. It would definately be a plus if your plants could recieve abit more lighting.

Added lights would mean higher temperature and may lead to algae infestation too. IMO, it's a question of balance to have an successful aquarium. If your tank is doing fine, try not to disturb it too much. Like wat Simon always preach, "Don't fix it if it ain't broken" or should I say "Don't break it, if it ain't broken"....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/28/2002 11:59:34 PM

Cost more then 300 =) A single MH petmart is selling at $350.

MH in the long run will beat PL FL hands and feets down.
    ----------------
    Is there anything whereby you can fit just one MH light at the corner of the tank just for the red light plants ?

I intend to do that.

rgds
    Koon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast