Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Wanted to share - first shrimp babies!

Wanted to share - first shrimp babies!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My cherry shrimp gave birth yesterday! Very happy as the first birth was a disaster - I think all the babies got sucked into the filter or died due to the strong flow. Hurried out and bought a breeder box as I still had 2 berried shrimp. Here are a couple of the pictures from the breeder box!

How long should I wait before they get put into the main tank? Only have a few endlers and albino corydoras in there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Wanted to share - first shrimp babies!

Great stuff. Congratulations on the success.

Recently I have restarted shrimp keeping. Past experiences were a failure.

Current attempt is still good as in it is almost 2 weeks and no RCS casualty.

I'm hoping to see it breed. I'll be as excited as you when that day comes.

Great shot on shrimplet measurement. How did u managed to capture it so precise and crisp clear?

🍻
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you want to avoid the shrimplets getting eaten by the endlers, best to let them grow until at least 5mm or larger before releasing them into the tank to live alongside the fishes, usually at that size they will start to display some color too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

The photos were taken using the macro mode on the camera through a magnifying glass They are currently in a hang on breeder box, safe from the endlers. Also makes it much easier to observe them!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have been using gex slim S and recently realised the shrimps like to cling on the sponge. Too much.

I have had shrimplets but the numbers seemed little , so i found some went through the sponge glove and up into the filter box. Some are shrimplets are still living inside lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Erm, i am using Dophin H80 hang on filter with the default sponge. I adjust the flow to the lowest. Still managed to breed like 20+ shrimplet. Be patient, some shrimplet maybe is too transparent and tiny.
    U see mine. when i try food.. all the shrimplet cluster together.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wooty100 View Post
    I have been using gex slim S and recently realised the shrimps like to cling on the sponge. Too much.

I have had shrimplets but the numbers seemed little , so i found some went through the sponge glove and up into the filter box. Some are shrimplets are still living inside lol
    The sponge guard traps alot of food so shrimplets are attracted to it.

Yeah, the sponge guards that usually come package with most filters tend to still be too large pore for tiny newborn shrimplets, so they can still crawl through it.

Some shrimplets will get chopped up by the impeller but there will be lucky ones that will survive the trip and live amongst the filter media.

If you want 100% prevention, get those sponge guards with denser sponge material (as dense as sponge filters). You can get them from places like Polyart or Y618... once you see those type of sponge guards, its easy to notice the difference in pore density.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@ UA, yea i have gotten the yellow sponge from polyart 3am on cny 3. It was amusing and shocking to see shrimplets hopping when i doing a maintainence cleaning of the debris in filter chambers.

Some unfortunate shrimplets end up in my toilet bowl and i have to abort my cleaning to save a couple that are still living in the filter. Last wk i still see some juves up to 0.8cm in. Seem like they survive well

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    That metal version in your photo isn't so good because the mesh size is still to large for newborn shrimplets (i've used it before and still found shrimplets in the filter)... the better designed metal version are the ones from gUSH brand, looks like this:

Ignore the rubber o-rings, i was using a 12/16 guard on a 9/12 pipe so had to DIY some "adapters" for them to fit properly.

Anyways, the mesh size on this metal guard is very small and i have seen newborn 1-2mm transparent shrimplets climbing on it without being sucked in, so its 100% effective. Only thing is you'll see lots of dirt and waste trapped against the guard everyday, so have to manually clear it to prevent clogging.

Btw, the dense sponge guards i was mentioning previously look like this:

Photo from Google Images.

The sponge material is dense enough that shrimplets will never be able to go through it.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wooty100 View Post
    @ UA, yea i have gotten the yellow sponge from polyart 3am on cny 3. It was amusing and shocking to see shrimplets hopping when i doing a maintainence cleaning of the debris in filter chambers.

Some unfortunate shrimplets end up in my toilet bowl and i have to abort my cleaning to save a couple that are still living in the filter. Last wk i still see some juves up to 0.8cm in. Seem like they survive well
    Yeah, nowadays i don't install anymore guards on my intakes that are connected to canister filters, i just let the shrimplets get sucked into the canister and live there. The shrimplets will not encounter the impeller because its the last stage in a canister filter (the fine filter wool layer prevents them from being moved any further), so they are safe from harm in the filter.

I've found that allowing shrimplets to live in the canister filter greatly increases their survival rate (they don't get hunted and eaten by the fishes in the tank), and all the detritus and food collects at the bottom of the filter for them to eat, so it becomes a sort of refugium or grow-out area. It seems those shrimplets in the filter are the "lucky" ones.

Whenever i shine a light into the canister housing (eheim canister filters have translucent casing), i can often see shrimplets happily foraging about the bio-media baskets. Each time i clean my filters (every 2-3 months), the numbers of juvenile shrimps i retrieve can sometimes almost double the in-take shrimp population. Any shrimplets that are still tiny size, i just leave them to continue living inside the canister until the next cleaning.
    www.urbanaquaria.com