Country
    Singapore

Saving the eggs from a recently deceased Bloody Mary shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello!

Would like to share my experience of saving the eggs off a dead Bloody Mary! So i spotted a dead bloody mary at the bottom of my tank and some shrimps were feeding off it. I also noticed that it was full of eggs... so i decided to try and save it. I tried to tweezer the shrimp out, but as it had been dead a while, the head fell off. So i could only take it out by clamping down on the tail. This is what i saw right after i took it out... first thing i noticed was... the eyes! They have eyes!

20150220_125733.jpg

As i understand, when the eyes appear they are moments away from hatching. So i decided not to disturb the eggs and put them into a glass betta tank to let them hatch naturally while still attached to their decapitated mum... to ensure that the eggs have enough water movement, i decided to add in an airstone to inject oxygen as well as ensure the eggs have water flowing through them...

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2lkpcv6.jpg
    http://oi57.tinypic.com/bi6vfd.jpg

Lets see if they hatch. If anyone has any ideas/experience doing this thing, do mention! Here is a video of the Bloody Mary in my tank while it was alive. Notice how the glossy shell shimmers in the light? Normal fire red cherrys do not exhibit this 'glossiness'. They are really beautiful. RIP!

Last edited by junwei38; 21st Feb 2015 at 23:01.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Saving the eggs from a recently deceased Bloody Mary shrimp

try to remove the eggs from the body of the shrimp using a sterile needle ( heat over fire and wait for it to cool off. the remains of the body will cause the eggs to rot if you tries to hatch them your way.
    just drag the eggs out down from the fins.
    if you are not into DIY, you can get Ziss Tumber (egg tumbler) from Aquarist Chamber and put the eggs in the egg tumbler.

its always good to have a artificial hatchery for just in case. i saved quite a number of shrimplets this way last time.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That is so smart! I will definitely be purchasing the egg tumbler. It looks like a fantastic product. As for using a sterile needle to remove the eggs, do u mean using a needle with a large enough diameter and sucking out the eggs? I think its a great idea! Just that i do not know what size needle to choose.

Unfortunately as this is my first time, what u said happened. Fungus started growing out of the remaining body and i had to throw the batch away. =(

Appreciate the reply and hope i do better next time!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Junwei, please mind the sms usage. Thanks!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.