Country
    Singapore

How to look after tonina???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

My tonina is still alive...i think. However, it has like brown or black spots appearing on its leaves. can anyone tell me what is happening? is the plant dying?

any ways to remedy it and how should one care for the tonina? all the other plants seems to be triving with all their hanging roots getting longer and longer but those roots from the tonina stems seems to be very short still...pls advice...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to look after tonina???

[quote:8ed8c54958="genes"]Hi all

My tonina is still alive...i think. However, it has like brown or black spots appearing on its leaves. can anyone tell me what is happening? is the plant dying?

any ways to remedy it and how should one care for the tonina? all the other plants seems to be triving with all their hanging roots getting longer and longer but those roots from the tonina stems seems to be very short still...pls advice... [/quote:8ed8c54958]

how about some tank perimeter to go with your prob?

Feedback Score

[quote:feb6e76f9b="Simon"][quote:feb6e76f9b="genes"]Hi all

any ways to remedy it and how should one care for the tonina? all the other plants seems to be triving with all their hanging roots getting longer and longer but those roots from the tonina stems seems to be very short still...pls advice... [/quote:feb6e76f9b]

how about some tank perimeter to go with your prob?[/quote:feb6e76f9b]

What I know from the Forums that they required ADA Soil. Correct me if I am wrong.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

[quote:c4dffb6cee="nicholas88"][quote:c4dffb6cee="Simon"][quote:c4dffb6cee="genes"]Hi all

any ways to remedy it and how should one care for the tonina? all the other plants seems to be triving with all their hanging roots getting longer and longer but those roots from the tonina stems seems to be very short still...pls advice... [/quote:c4dffb6cee]

how about some tank perimeter to go with your prob?[/quote:c4dffb6cee]

What I know from the Forums that they required ADA Soil. Correct me if I am wrong.[/quote:c4dffb6cee]

not exactly, they can grow well in any gravel.. mine grew very fast, both with dennerle and lonestar gravel. I think its the perimeter of the water

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i am using a 2x1x1 ft tank with a 36watt pl lamp. water temp is around 28 degrees. haven got task kit yet for other stuffs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi,

My tonnia problem is more specific to the lower portion of the leaves, which start to rot away after being continuously shaded by the top umbrella leaves layer.

May I know how the other bros manage this problem, use "horizontal" or underwater spot light?

tango

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:1528c723f1="genes"]i am using a 2x1x1 ft tank with a 36watt pl lamp. water temp is around 28 degrees. haven got task kit yet for other stuffs.[/quote:1528c723f1]

replying to genes and tango

tonina spp. requires moderator light, insufficient will result in lost of leaves. Genes, 36watts for yr tank isn't much, also has to take in consideration, the shade cast by other plants around the tonina. Are those black/brown spots easy to remove? could it be BBA? either the light isn't sufficient or you got a P deficiency according to Chuck's deficiency chart

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wats P? wat can i do to remedy that?

i have seen bba before, its like a lump of very fine black hair right? i just tried to scrap off the black stuffs on the tonina and realise i could scrap it off with my fingers. however, is not like the bba i have seen growing on the gravel. its like dirt on the leaves actually. but, only the tonina is having this problem.

another problem is with my needle like plant. it have grown very tall since i planted it a week ago but the ends of the leaves are now turning brown and is dropping out the leaves, some of the leaves looks like they are rotting away as well.

Here are some picts...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yukes... its looks like BGA... rub off and smell.. shld have a weird odour.. the stemmed plant with the needle-like leaves looks like algae

how about some perimeter? very difficult to diagnose

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Quote Originally Posted by "nicholas88

What I know from the Forums that they required ADA Soil. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Okay, you are wrong. hehe

I grow it just fine without ADA soil or anything special, that's both species.

I likes bright light, good NO3 levels, CO2 etc.
    I do not buy the whole acid preference, I'm doing fine without having to do that.

Nice plant, I thumbed my noise at it some at first, but I have found uses for it.

You need about 5X the plant biomass in there.
    Light should be okay, CO2 looks off to me also, pale leaves, slow growth.

Add more plants, CO2, Dose some KNO3 soon.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score

[quote:223b6aa915="Plantbrain"]
    Quote Originally Posted by "nicholas88

What I know from the Forums that they required ADA Soil. Correct me if I am wrong.[/quote:223b6aa915]

Okay, you are wrong. hehe

I grow it just fine without ADA soil or anything special, that's both species.

I likes bright light, good NO3 levels, CO2 etc.
    I do not buy the whole acid preference, I'm doing fine without having to do that.

Nice plant, I thumbed my noise at it some at first, but I have found uses for it.

You need about 5X the plant biomass in there.
    Light should be okay, CO2 looks off to me also, pale leaves, slow growth.

Add more plants, CO2, Dose some KNO3 soon.

Regards,
    Tom Barr
    Thanks for your advise. Just get Tonina again 2 day ago. Hope it success this time. Previously failed 4 times already. Hope this will be no problem at all. :P

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i use to grow the normal tonina in my 3ft with 144W (PL) overhead. Its roughly 3WPG. The toninas are thick and close together and forms very thick canopy, but the bottom are still fine with many shoots.

I think other then lights, fertilization and Co2 is very important to keeping this species.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, I have some in my 4ft which refuse to die if when they are totally block off by the rotala macrandra 'narrow leaf', they stayed green and the bottom portion doesn't show sign of melting away

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i guess it be best if u can use ADA soil.. this plant will grow very well in low PH and low KH.. mine is now producing alot of side shoots.