Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

CRS using tap water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello!!!!! I am very very new to keeping shrimps, and i started with crystal reds, bad choice. haha, only have 6 out of the total 15 I bought.
    anyway, I was wondering if it is OK to use tap water for the shrimps in the long run??? The rest of the surviving shrimps seems to be doing pretty well... I use AZOO branded de-chlorinater.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: CRS using tap water

please provide more informations like what you use for setup of your shrimp tank. a full tank shot would be nice too.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

2nd that. Need more info.

Your temp is ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is your tank cycled?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe a 10L tank... Tank should be cycled, been running since last November... I do not have test kits, only have GH and pH...
    GH == 6~8
    pH == 6.5~6
    tds == 180 (I sometimes use the fluval shrimp mineral supplement, but now I am attempting to lower the tds with water change without using that)
    temp == 24~26 c (using a fan to cool it)
    using azoo de-chlorinator, azoo plant substrate... Setup is an UG filter hooked up to an HOB filter... I'm not home now, will mane take a few photos when I can later in the day... Evaporation is an issue, I do top up with tap water, but instead of just topping up, I remove some tank water and top up with dechlorinated tap water, remove 1 part tank water, top up 2 parts tap water...
    Have half a Ketapang leaf, nana, Java fern, some random moss, a Marino and a small floating plant...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I also use a few drops of seachem stability when I do a water change...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Using untreated tape water for top-up is a no no. This will kill your shrimps faster.
    >:<> DREAM SHRIMP <>:<
    http://dreamshrimp.wordpress.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I do use AZOO chlorine and chloramine remover on the tap water.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just my thought, I never add the treated water immediately into the tank... I usually put it aside with air pump to further dissipate the chlorine for another 1 or 2 day before I feel it is safe for my shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

image.jpg
    My simple tank
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If your tap water is reasonably good (not those tap water with oddly high TDS or GH type from old building pipes), its usually possible to keep crystal red using de-chlorinated tap water sources. Though how well they fare in the tank environment will also depend on many other factors too, like water parameters (tank has to be fully cycled), temperature, beneficial minerals, dissolved oxygen content etc.

Only thing with tap water is if you use it to constantly top up water in the tank (especially if using a fan to cool it which creates lots of evaporation) and don't do much water changes, the TDS and excess GH would tend to build up over time. Thats one of the reasons why those keeping the more sensitive shrimp species that require strict parameters usually have to buy distilled water or invest in a RO/DI system to distill their own water.

Your experience losing 9 shrimps out of the 15 you bought could be due to the tank still cycling and toxic parameters spiking, or the shrimp were not acclimated (ie. drip acclimation) to the tank beforehand and those that could not adapt to the new water conditions eventually died off. The remaining 6 shrimps that are still alive in your tank are most likely the stronger ones who could adapt in time.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com