Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of lily pipe inlet algae?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How to get rid of lily pipe inlet algae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Anyone know how to get rid of lily pipe inlet algae spot? I try using flexible brush but the stubborn algae stain still there? I believe the algae is inside the lily pipe and not outself. Should i use beach to soak the lily pipe?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to get rid of lily pipe inlet algae?

Mine comes out pretty easily with the flexible brush. Maybe drip some excel in it as it is 'fish-safer'?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just soak in bleach. 20%-50% concentration will remove algae in a couple of minutes/hours.
    Give it a good rinse then soak in water with anti chlorine solution. Very common practice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Suzerolt View Post
    Just soak in bleach. 20%-50% concentration will remove algae in a couple of minutes/hours.
    Give it a good rinse then soak in water with anti chlorine solution. Very common practice.
    Ya i thought of it too. Thanks for the advice. But the hose attached to the lily pipe is very hard to take out. I dont dare to use my strength too hard, i scared i will break the lily pipe. Had a bad experience, end up cut my finger quite deeply

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can also soak the glass pipe in diluted H2O2 solution, it will help to oxidize and loosen the algae spots too.

Btw, what brand of flexible brush are you using? Some brushes have very soft bristles so they may not have enough scrubbing power to remove hard algae, its usually easier when using flexible brushes with harder/stiffer bristles.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all,

Tks for the kind advice. Can anyone tell me how to take out the water hose that attach in the lily pipe? Lolz, it will very hard attached on the lily pipe.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Tks for the kind advice. Can anyone tell me how to take out the water hose that attach in the lily pipe? Lolz, it will very hard attached on the lily pipe.
    Just just your finger and carefully peel one side of the hose until a section of it releases grip from the lily pipe, then slowly move the hose left and right to jiggle it off the pipe. Once you get how it works, it becomes very easy.

Some people also use hot water to soften the hoses too, can try that if the hoses are difficult to remove.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How to get rid of lily pipe inlet algae?

To do it safely, hold the glass pipe with a piece of cloth.
    Wet the joint between the glass pipe & hose - this is to allow water to seep in when the seal is broken.
    Next push in the hose (not pull). Twist slightly at the same time to help break the seal.
    Once the seal is broken, pull out the hose.

For me, I add a bit of Vaseline between the hose & glass pipe when I re-assemble it. This lubrication helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I added vaseline too but when its dried up it doesnt make a difference. Still difficult to remove. I crack once before. Finally now i do not really push in alot for the tubes. Incase ita stuck, i will just take a sharp penknife and cut a slit at the side of the hose where it grip the pipe and the pipe will come loose.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To remove lily pipe from hose, I push it in & then twist / shake it... then pull out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi i did something quite extreme, i actually cut off the bottom part of the inlet lily pipe with a glass cutte. haha made cleaning the inlet super easy and i don't have to remove the hose

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shawngkl View Post
    To remove lily pipe from hose, I push it in & then twist / shake it... then pull out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Argghh.. i try your method, push in and then twist and broke my lntake lily pipe. Maybe my lily pipe is acrylic plastic not so good quality. Apparently, i give up on lily pipe. I using back my eheim pipe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi. I had similar experience of breaking an inlet pipe before. Now I apply a thin layer of vaseline at the joint and also do a few slight cuts (about 5mm) on the end of the rubber tube. This allows the ease of peeling off even if the vaseline dried up. No leakage of water as well. So far it work well for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

To reduce the tightness of the hose, I use the spectacle thin screwdriver to force open a gap round the hose and it should come out easily once all hose contact surface area is not stuck to the Lilly pipe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Broke my lily inlet at 1st water change heart so pain. I use a pointed toothpick and insert between lily and the hose. Using that gap flush water in. Move the toothpick around the hose and repeat above. Once you see some water between the hose and lily twist and rock slightly. Using hot water from the shower helps.
    Just for those wondering I didn't break it when taking out I broke it when the lily was attached to the hose...and I tried to position it by twisting the lower part of the hose. This cause the lily to turn hitting the glass tank side walls....and the lower part where water goes in just snapped off!
    RIP my lily.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I remove my inlet pipe by pushing it further into the eheim hose holding to it. After that I twist and turn cautiously. It is removed easily with this method for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I used quick release double tap valves on the hose, so that I can easily remove the lily pipe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

what the heck, my nerite snail went inside my lily pipe. How can I retrieve it out? Will it drop into my canister?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

how did it get in? hahaha..

Wah he can withstand the flow rate. POWER !

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    what the heck, my nerite snail went inside my lily pipe. How can I retrieve it out? Will it drop into my canister?
    It happens sometimes in my tanks too, the nerite snail somehow manage to get into the lily pipe (either via the tank glass or nearby plant leaves), they stick very strongly to surfaces so can even move against flow.

If its in your outflow pipe, do watch that it doesn't crawl all the way into the canister filter, as once it reaches the impeller, it'll get wedged and jam it up (nerite snail shells are very hard) and that will cause damage to the filter.

Best to disconnect the hose and push the nerite snail back out with a flexible brush... can clean the pipes at the same time too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast