Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How do you stop hairgrass from growing out of the soil?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How do you stop hairgrass from growing out of the soil?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am using amazonia. My hairgrass seems to be coming out of the soil with its roots. I am not sure if its because of the panda cories or its naturally growing out and require to be replant again. Any one has similar experience?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How do you stop hairgrass from growing out of the soil?

The hairgrass should not be lifting up from the soil exposing its roots, they should be firmly rooted into the soil.

Did you plant the hairgrass in small bunches of a few blades each, or in large bunches? Usually if planted in large bunches, the bunch may become buoyant and without established roots yet, would tend to float up. Its best to separate them into smaller bunches before planting.

Its also possible your corys may be disturbing the plants when sifting around the bottom for food too, have to observe them to see.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm...even those strands that i planted some of them seems to be coming out of the soil.my soil layer is about 2-3inch infront.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tropic View Post
    Hmmm...even those strands that i planted some of them seems to be coming out of the soil.my soil layer is about 2-3inch infront.
    I guess you are using normal granule size soil? Those do tend to sit looser and hence are less secure in terms of holding down newly planted hairgrass (compared to smaller granule/powder type soil)... just have to wait until the plants grow longer roots and start securing themselves closer to the substrate.

The panda corys in your tank could also be disturbing the new plants as they scavenge and move about the substrate, so they may also be contributing to some of the plants being uprooted.

A high flow rate/current may also be uprooting the new plants too, so if you notice that happening, maybe look at adjusting the flow to minimize the effect (until the plants root in more securely).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah .normal amazonia soil. Not the powder type. I rule out the flow as it seems too low for the plant to uproot. Maybe my tiny cories could be the culprit.