Singapore

Algae Bloom

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Picture borrowed from TODAY

Imagine the sea is a big fish tank.

Did you catch the word - warm water? 02?

I always emphasize cool water helps. And we cannot totally eliminate 02.

I believe it is the proliferation of both algae and plankton. They basically take away all the 02

Anyway, the topic is on algae. Dead leaves means decomposition and decomposition eat up 02 and throw up by product such as NH3 and NH4 . Same thing like our tank. Once the plant start to die, more things to come. Dead corner invites BGA, etc.

Focus on growing plant, please

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Algae Bloom

I notice the term 'toxins' being used in the article. What does this represent in terms of freshwater fish keeping? Ammonia and nitrites?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aza View Post
    I notice the term 'toxins' being used in the article. What does this represent in terms of freshwater fish keeping? Ammonia and nitrites?
    In the context of marine ecosystems, the toxins mentioned in the article refers to harmful algae species that produce neurotoxins which are dangerous to fishes... from my understanding, usually those algae species are around in low quantities and not as harmful, but during algae bloom in the oceans, their numbers increase greatly and zooplankton eat those algae and small fishes eat the zooplankton and so on, then the food chain gets contaminated.

Not sure if freshwater environments also have similar toxin producing algae too... but usually its the subsequent mass die-out and decay of the algae bloom (after it consumes all the excess nutrients) that depletes all the oxygen in the water and kills fishes in lakes and ponds (that could probably happen in aquariums too, especially if fast acting algae killing treatments are used).
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 6th Mar 2015 at 22:48.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if you're looking for toxic algae in freshwater, you can google for toxic Cyanobacteria, including species from the genus Microcystis, etc. these are COMMON in our freshwater bodies ie reservoirs, and I emphasize that it is the CONCENTRATION of algae that matters. also, when these algae are live, they typically release only low amounts, only when the cells are crushed (or, killed, by CuSO4 for example), do they release the most toxin.

tap water has been treated of these harmful algae, so safe for aquarium. unless you scoop outside water for your tanks, then good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk