Country
    Singapore

Oscar

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does this picture look wrong to you?

My father got a little too excited and started buying more and more fish home. He kept these Oscars in 2 small 15cm tanks that I had lying around. I didn't think that was right and then transferred them to this 60cm tank that I was in the middle of scaping.

I usually see Oscars in bare tanks and I wonder if there is any particular reason why. Anyway, pardon the poorer picture quality as I am more in a hurry to know if I am doing something wrong rather than showcasing my work here.

I appreciate any feedback.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Oscar

Speaking from experience, you could say that that oscar tank is his now. I went through similar situation. My advice is if you are serious in this hobby, get another tank for yourself. After all, he is your father, you could nicely explain to him that the next tank is yours and he should enjoy this current tank. If you have the funds, get a larger capacity canister filter for this tank, the waste production will increase. Add more hardy plants in the tank too!

As for aquascaping, I find with the plants, it adds a real naturalism experience. Most, if not all oscar tank are bare, but it shouldnt be the case. Maybe, back in the day, they were not known on how to set up an oscar tank but I believe changes are a good thing. Look at arowana keeping, it was kept in a large bare tank but over time, people added live plants to simulate their original environment of the river. In my opinion, you could be starting a new trend! Be proud of your creation!

Hope this helps!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

BFG, oh no. Don't misunderstand. I set up the 60cm tank for him anyway, it previously contained various fishes of his which I am now housing in a breeding box temporarily until I clean up the other tanks.

I already got a 4 feet tank and 3 feet tub for myself. I am good there.

My question is more of whether this kind of scape would suit the Oscars? Would the Oscars wreck the scape or maybe redecorate on their own. I am still quite new to Oscars.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Only time will tell. My oscar keeping day was housing them in a bare tank. It was during my schooling years.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

messy eaters , keep it simple ,big hardscape driftwood with low tech plants , but high probability of algaes , high waste = high maintenance

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

They grow big very fast.
    Shit a lot.
    Eat a lot
    Sometimes will fight
    Destroy plants

One good thing is, it's like Flowerhorn, quite interactive with the owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FAILURE IS THE MOTHER OF ALL SUCCESS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you limz_777 and Whitechicks7 for the heads up.

*takes down note to buy 7777 for 4D this week.*

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm guessing those oscars are in preparation for your monster tank setup? A group of them growing to adult size and swimming amongst schools of mid-sized fishes would look impressive.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

oscars are generally kept in a big and empty tank is because for ease of maintainence. They get very big and they are definitely messy eaters. They are also prone to HITH.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Very soon it will outgrow the tank. Need a strong filtration system also. Poo alot

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Like all said, Very soon they will outgrow the tank, messup the whole tank. 3years ago, I started a 4ft tank with 2baby oscars and nice Driftwood and decorations.
    Now, they are both full grown 1foot long fishes in a BARE BOTTOM tank with only water... you know what i mean

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I used to house 4 oscar. Same as many user here, messy eater and messy bio loads. But mine is a little special, they sometimes tend to over power prey and leaped off the water; landed on the ground. After 2 incident i bought acrylic cover top just to prevent them from jumping