Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Removing loose algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently have used scrubber on the glass to remove the algae and ever since I can see the loose algae like dusts in the tank. Seemed that they are too fine to be removed by normal filter? TurnEd on ionizer for 30mins for three days and saw one gold fish dead,hence stopped. Have changed to a new normal white filter but don't seem to be helping.. any advise? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Removing loose algae

I would suggest multiple 50% water changes spread out across a few days. But theoretically you won't be able to remove all algae particles this way. Some sort of ultra fine filtration device would be best but I have no experience owning them or know if they exist. Perhaps more seasoned veterans could help better?

Sorry for your loss. A part of me dies when retrieving dead pets from a tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimps... they gladly eat up the loose algae that are scraped off tank glass and they will spend the whole day hunting down each tiny particle to consume, its like a bonus algae buffet for them.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

But my goldfish, red platy, tiger stripes might have sumptuous meal frm the shrimps?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by huffie View Post
    But my goldfish, red platy, tiger stripes might have sumptuous meal frm the shrimps?
    True... the shrimps will probably become tasty treats for those fishes.

It'll be good to have clean-up crew in the tank to help eat the algae though, maybe try ramshorn snails? They eat algae and leftover food too, and most fishes usually leave them alone. They come in nice red or blue colors too.

Btw, you mentioned "ionizer" in your first post, what is that? a UV sterilizer? or those negative ion generators?
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Confirm chop the shrimps will be gold fish food. Get the bigger yamato and SAE if 2ft tank about 2 yamato and 4 SAE will be great!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    True... the shrimps will probably become tasty treats for those fishes.

It'll be good to have clean-up crew in the tank to help eat the algae though, maybe try ramshorn snails? They eat algae and leftover food too, and most fishes usually leave them alone. They come in nice red or blue colors too.

Btw, you mentioned "ionizer" in your first post, what is that? a UV sterilizer? or those negative ion generators?
    Understand that snails may end up crawling out and afraid my kids may end up eating them...LOL.
    Sorry it's actually ozonizer that generates ozone thRu a machine and pumped through the bubble stones

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bieffe View Post
    Confirm chop the shrimps will be gold fish food. Get the bigger yamato and SAE if 2ft tank about 2 yamato and 4 SAE will be great!
    Actually I had 2 dwarf otocinclus but one died. Previously had sae but dun see them as good as dwarf. Was actually thinking of getting fresh water clams but dun see any at C328

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

On second thought, will 3 marimos cause algae bloom too?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Actually I had 2 dwarf otocinclus but one died. Previously had sae but dun see them as good as dwarf. Was actually thinking of getting fresh water clams but dun see any at C328
    Try Aquatic Avenue? I saw some clams a few weeks back... Give them a call to avoid disappointment ya.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Understand that snails may end up crawling out and afraid my kids may end up eating them...LOL.
    I guess you read about nerite snails that occasionally climb out of tank to explore, those are tidal snails so its part of their natural behaviour.

On the otherhand, ramshorn snails don't climb out of tanks, they are fully aquatic, at most they float or crawl to the water surface to take a breath, then crawl back down to resume grazing.

Ramshorn snails do breed quite easily if conditions are good and there is ample food, so its easy maintain a self-sustaining population of clean up crew with those snails.

Sorry it's actually ozonizer that generates ozone thRu a machine and pumped through the bubble stones
    I see... i've used similar devices before as room air purifiers and deodorizers, but always wondered how those things work in aquarium environments (and whether they have any beneficial effects).

On second thought, will 3 marimos cause algae bloom too?
    The marimo balls themselves wouldn't be the cause of algae issues, unless algae already hitchhike on them from other tanks... though they also don't really help much in soaking up nutrients to combat algae either (they have very low nutrient intake and slow growth rate).

If you have algae issues in the tank, it more likely due to excess nutrients or light (or both).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Urban Aquaria thank u once again for the indepth explanation. As for the ozonizer there has been some positive feedback that it works but I didn't use it that freq to see any effect. As for the light, I'm currrently using led lights and think I got "conned" from taobao that the lights are not emitting the wavelength that promotes algae growth ;p . Anyways, shall look into ramshorn snail and see if these would help. cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So in the mean time, how do I clear those loose algae? Or when I get the ramshorn snail, eventually the loose algae will decrease?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So in the mean time, how do I clear those loose algae? Or when I get the ramshorn snail, eventually the loose algae will decrease?
    Well, i guess you just have to increase filter circulation so that more of the loose algae get suspended in the water column and drawn into it, and perhaps do more tank cleaning by using a tube and hose to siphon out the loose algae and waste material.

If the loose algae are settling on tank surfaces, algae eaters like snails will usually find and consume them, so that helps in reducing the amount of loose algae bits. Note that it'll be replaced with snail poop though, some of what goes in has to come out too.

Btw, if you have lots of algae growing in the tank, reducing excess nutrient production and reducing light sources will help alot more in managing the algae situation... especially since you are keeping goldfishes which are heavy waste producers.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aza View Post
    Try Aquatic Avenue? I saw some clams a few weeks back... Give them a call to avoid disappointment ya.
    almost missed out your reply, thanks will check out with them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Pardon my ignorance, I'm currently using a 2ft dolphin overhead filter (non submerged), so how to increase filter circulation? Getting a more powerful pump?
    Side track abit, any idea if possible to have fresh water clams in the tank without any substrate?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Pardon my ignorance, I'm currently using a 2ft dolphin overhead filter (non submerged), so how to increase filter circulation? Getting a more powerful pump?
    Side track abit, any idea if possible to have fresh water clams in the tank without any substrate?
    Yeah, for overhead filters, a more powerful pump will help to increase the overall amount of flow, though placement of the intake and outflow also makes a big difference.

Try different placements to find the best intake/outflow positions. What you want is the outflow current pushing as much of the algae, waste and debris as possible towards the intake to be drawn into the filter for processing.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Freshwater clams could live in a barebottom tank, though i've noticed that when i kept them in a sand based environment (just a thin layer of sand is enough, no need to be deep), the clams are able to use the sand as support and position themselves to better face the direction of flow for filter feeding, which helps improve their survival and growth rate.

You could try putting a thin 4-5mm layer of sand in a very shallow tray, place it in an area with high water flow, and then put the clams in it. It'll be sort of like a mobile sand bed for the clams.

Here was an example from one of my tanks:

More details on them in this thread post: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...890#post769890
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks urban aquaria for sharing