Thread: Filter & Light.

Feedback Score

Filter & Light.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and it's close to a 2 years since I started with planted tanks. But I consider myself a newbie, and am constantly learning new things. I hope to know you people better.

Anyway, I have a 2 feet planted tank. Mostly moss, and glosso, with shrimps.
    I am thinking of switching my internal fluval filter to an external. But is it advisable to do so, since I have shrimps in the tank?

With regards to light, any recommendation for a 2 ft tank. I am only considering e-ballast.
    Regards,
    Drew.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe a lot of folks here use external cannister filter for their planted tanks too. I'm one of them.

I don't find the shrimps to be a problem with cannister filters. However, for extremely small shrimps, you are probably better off with a sponge filter in a dedicated shrimp tank.

Alternatively try one of the planted tank filter like the Ecco series from Eheim. They have a reduced flow rate specifically tailored for the planted tanks. Add a filter sponge to the inlet basket and you will not have shrimps in your filter.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to add about shrimps in ext cannsiter filter.

You can always extract them from the bottom of your filter box whenever you clean them.

But this is only possible if the flow goes to the bottom and up through the media.

Eg.Pro 3 flows through the media from the top. Not suitable for shrimps to without a pool of water.
    Save the wildlife. Do not buy endangered species.