Country
    Singapore

Increasing GH with Mosura Mineral Plus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Does anyone use Mosura Mineral Plus to increase GH? The instructions on the label are strage as it tells you how much liquid to put per litre of water. But in my experience, to increase the GH to around 5, a much higher dosage is recommended. So i have no idea if what i am doing is correct as it seems grossly overdosing based on the dosage instructions on the label.

I have also tried seachem equilibrium but there are always undissolved sediments at the bottom and the water becomes cloudy for a long time. Any other recommendation for increasing GH without clouding up the water?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Increasing GH with Mosura Mineral Plus

The dosage mentioned on the Mosura Mineral Plus bottle is just based on a general dosage which supplies sufficient minerals to the shrimps, though it doesn't take into account existing mineral content in the tank and also the population size of the shrimps.

Most users just dose as per the bottle recommendations and it works fine as a mineral supplement, but if you have very soft water or are using RO/DI water and want to maintain a very specific target GH (ie. your shrimps are those super sensitive species that need GH 5 or they will instantly keel over and die type), then just add the mineral plus in small quantities in stages over the course of a few days until you achieve your target GH (try not to dose too much too fast, as that will create sudden changes in the water parameters and may adversely affect the shrimps, especially if they are already in the tank).

The alternative method that i've found quite effective is to simply put shrimp mineral rocks in the tank (just follow the package recommendations), they will release beneficial minerals slowly into the tank and shrimps can graze on it whenever they require a "mineral" boost. It's abit easier than having to keep dosing the mineral additives during every water change.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Increasing GH with Mosura Mineral Plus

Understood! Thank you for the detailed explanation!