Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Why does my internal power filter spew bubbles?

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Why does my internal power filter spew bubbles?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

My internal power filter spews out bubbles sometimes and make the whole tank look very unsightly with so many tiny bubbles flying everywhere.

Everytime when i off it to do a water change or when i off it to pick up some particles in the tank and later on it back again..it spews up bubbles many times until certain point of time and it will stop...then occasiaonally will spew bubbles again. Was wondering if my filter is faulty?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Does it have a choking sound?

Is there a small hole for attachment to a airtube?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No chocking sound and no hole to attach the tube to it. The filter comes with that particular attachment but i did not attach that or the other different kinds of attachments to the filter. Heres how the filter lookds like

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It might be air trapped in the filter media. See whether you can expel the air in the filter media first before starting the filter.

BC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There might also be a problem with the impeller. Take apart the fliter and give the impeller area a good wash, make sure nothing is stuck inside.

If after all these you still can't get the sound/air bubbles to stop, I think the motor is spoilt.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d6bfbef3cf="|squee|"]There might also be a problem with the impeller. Take apart the fliter and give the impeller area a good wash, make sure nothing is stuck inside.

If after all these you still can't get the sound/air bubbles to stop, I think the motor is spoilt.[/quote:d6bfbef3cf]
    Errr... I think the bubbles have nothing to do with the motor. The bubbles have to be from some air trapped within the filter. The motor itself cannot produce bubbles out from nowhere.

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with the filter.

BC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no offense bclee, just sharing my views

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Me too... nothing personal...

With an open mind, we can learn a lot from one another.

I learn most of my stuff from forums like this.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you so much guys...will trying cleaning the filter as well as the sponge thingy and see wat happens

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Maybe you can submerge the filter slowly, allowing the air to escape.

In my experience with my own internal filter, the air will be fully expelled after a few hours or maybe overnight.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:6b6e365d92="genes"]Thank you so much guys...will trying cleaning the filter as well as the sponge thingy and see wat happens[/quote:6b6e365d92]
    Hey genes, if there is unusual sound, it is the impeller. take aprt as suggest by |squee| n ensure nothing's stuck.
    as fer the sponge, leave it, u wldn't wan to kill watever bb tt has been cultivating in there till now....

if i were u, i will not bother too much bout the bubbles spewing out every now n then.... imagine tis, water being pull thru the sponge which is full of holes... there's bound to be some air being generated...

btw, i using the same filter, it's an Atman, rite? when i got it, it was very noisy. so i took it aprt n fix it back... has been operating like a sleeping baby since... it also spews bubble once a while, but i take it as a sign tt it is still working cos it is sooooooooo quiet.... :P
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah, its Atman, got it from NA. When i swtiched to the lower power mode, it is very noisy too, have swticed to highest power since and never touched it anymore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:573eba6faa="genes"]yeah, its Atman, got it from NA. When i swtiched to the lower power mode, it is very noisy too, have swticed to highest power since and never touched it anymore.[/quote:573eba6faa]
    hehe... sama sama.... mine was also very noisy during the first couple of days.... was advised to check the impeller part. although i never find anything stuck, it became very quiet after i assembled it back... the only diff is i changed to the round output instead. u may wish to try and see if it helps to at least reduce the noise... bubbles wise cos i placed my CO2 output jus below the filter and i can see the CO2 being sucked in so I take it tt the spewing of bubbles is normal.... u can see the pic in my Gems Tank gallery for reference....
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi genes,

I am using this filter to circulate the water in my tank as well. What i notice is when u put it back, make sure you tilt the filter and let the air out completely as what bclee has adviced. If not, it will create that noise that you had described.

bubbles can also blow out from the filter because it will suck in air given out by your plants during photo period. the sponge will trap the air to certain level and blow it out like what u had mentioned.

Hope this help.