Country
    Singapore

UGF for planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi to all,

i've just started my tank a couple of weeks ago...
    i've read a lot on the web and some commented that undergravel filter is not suitable for planted tank as there's a need to clean gravel peridoically.

i'm currently using UGL, so izzit suitable for a moderated planted tank??

Thanks for any advices...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not suitable, not just gravel will clog, substrate ferts if any will leak easily into water column.

On the other hand, I read in quite a few places that Tom Barr has used reverse flow undergravel filter successfully. RVUG will need prefiltering, else will clog also. Its more for biofiltration, to promote O2 level in substrate, and to get more nutrients in the water column to the roots. And I dun think substrate fert should be used with RFUG either.
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    UGF is not recommended because of a few things.

Firstly, if you are using base fertilisers, you can going to get all the nutrients cycled into the water column.

Secondly, you do not want too much flow through the substrate. Reductive and anaerobic zones in the substrate helps plants process and uptake nutrients. Oxygen rich water flow through the substrate oxidise nutrients making it more difficult for plants to uptake them.

BC