Country
    Singapore

How the heck do you get this?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys
    I saw this tank at a LFS. Can't believe the carpet plants are so dense. The leaves the bottom were not rotting nor yellow. How I wish I can have this growth in my tank.

The leaf growth are so dense they remind me of peak hour travelling in the MRT.

Anyone know the technique to this?
    Is it due to light, Co2, fertilizer and just plain old voodoo magic.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How the heck do you get this?

That should be monte carlos, I believe Shadow managed to grow it that thick by ignoring them haha.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    That should be monte carlos, I believe Shadow managed to grow it that thick by ignoring them haha.
    Hi
    How come Shadow can ignore and he gets this type of growth and when I ignore, the plants ignore me too.

Seriously, I really want to know the way. Is it due to ample light or Co2 ?
    Cheers

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I also saw the tank at East Ocean, they posted a video of it on their facebook page too:

Considering the equipment used, its quite standard stuff, based on their tank description...

"Planted since May 2014
    Equipment used

Tank : 30 x 18 x 24cm [ANS Opti Clear 30M]
    Filter : Shiruba PF120 [Hang On Filter]
    Light : UP Pro LED Z 30cm
    Substrate : ANS Planta Soil
    Base Substrate : ANS Planta Base

Hardscape Used:
    ANS NatureDeco Dragon Rock

Plant Used:
    Monte Carlo
    Eleocharis Parva
    Rotala Najean

Liquid Fertilizer Used
    EIHO Plant GH
    EIHO Plant Potassium
    EIHO Plant Complete
    "

The compact hang-on filter (Shiruba PF120) and LED lights (Up Aqua Z-Series) are not exactly high-end high-powered equipment, they are just normal equipment that most people use.

I guess you have to ask the chap at East Ocean how he manages the tank... he got lots of skills in growing carpets fast and maintaining them well.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I also saw the tank at East Ocean, they posted a video of it on their facebook page too:
    I guess you have to ask the chap at East Ocean how he manages the tank... he got lots of skills in growing carpets fast and maintaining them well.
    I have gone to that place many times and have asked but sadly the staff a very typical of many LFS, they don't say much. Unless you buy lots of things from them, they are very vague in their tips.

The only exception in my experience is Fishy Business and Aquatic Avenue.

These guys gave me tons of helpful tips even though I did not buy anything from them before.
    Now I've started to get my fish and hardware from them and support them in return.

I'm sure there are many members here who have such nice growth in their tank and hope they'll share their tips here.
    Looking forward to it.
    Cheers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My vote goes to Aquatic Avenue, the three chaps wont hesitate to share, especially Eugene, you can feel the passion when you talk plants and fauna with him haha.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Extremely happy with AA as well, asked about a product they carry and sell and was told matter of factly it doesn't work and not to purchase it.

Was surprised with that, these chaps honestly mean well for you and not their pockets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Considering the equipment used, its quite standard stuff, based on their tank description...

"Planted since May 2014
    Equipment used

Tank : 30 x 18 x 24cm [ANS Opti Clear 30M]
    Filter : Shiruba PF120 [Hang On Filter]
    Light : UP Pro LED Z 30cm
    Substrate : ANS Planta Soil
    Base Substrate : ANS Planta Base

Hardscape Used:
    ANS NatureDeco Dragon Rock

Plant Used:
    Monte Carlo
    Eleocharis Parva
    Rotala Najean

Liquid Fertilizer Used
    EIHO Plant GH
    EIHO Plant Potassium
    EIHO Plant Complete
    "

The compact hang-on filter (Shiruba PF120) and LED lights (Up Aqua Z-Series) are not exactly high-end high-powered equipment, they are just normal equipment that most people use.

This setup with CO2 a not? Seem like the pearling effect is quite obvious. Btw i do notice that my tank like only right side having pearling effect, left side no sign of pearling effect. Is there any reason? I am puzzled.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ops.

I always go after lunch blow aircon , see fish , eat snake.

And chit chat wih Eugene abit. Maybe we might have met each other inside before :P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My vote goes to Aquatic Avenue, the three chaps wont hesitate to share, especially Eugene, you can feel the passion when you talk plants and fauna with him haha.
    Same here. Although these are young guys, they're really full of passion for the planted tank hobby. Hope they will remain helpful like this for the future also.

Quote Originally Posted by mercur1al View Post
    Extremely happy with AA as well, asked about a product they carry and sell and was told matter of factly it doesn't work and not to purchase it.
    Was surprised with that, these chaps honestly mean well for you and not their pockets!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I have had this pleasant shock happen to me also. This is how one should build trust with the customers. It will reap fruits in the future. Nowaday, I go to them first to look for products and if they don't carry it, then only I think of other LFS.
    Cheers.

BTW I find Fishy Business to be the same too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Filet-O-Fish View Post
    Same here. Although these are young guys, they're really full of passion for the planted tank hobby. Hope they will remain helpful like this for the future also.

Yes I have had this pleasant shock happen to me also. This is how one should build trust with the customers. It will reap fruits in the future. Nowaday, I go to them first to look for products and if they don't carry it, then only I think of other LFS.
    Cheers.

BTW I find Fishy Business to be the same too.

Absolutely agree. I would pay them a visit more often if not for the fact they are located extremely far from where i am based. Having said that, all my wood for the upcoming aquascape came from them this time round though!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    This setup with CO2 a not? Seem like the pearling effect is quite obvious. Btw i do notice that my tank like only right side having pearling effect, left side no sign of pearling effect. Is there any reason? I am puzzled.
    Yeah, it has Co2 injection, can see the Co2 diffuser mounted on the left side of the tank.

I guess the filter flow is mainly at the right side in the video, so more circulation and more pearling bubbles released in those areas.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, it has Co2 injection, can see the Co2 diffuser mounted on the left side of the tank.

I guess the filter flow is mainly at the right side in the video, so more circulation and more pearling bubbles released in those areas.
    So how do they do it? The dense growth at the bottom. :-)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So how do they do it? The dense growth at the bottom. :-)
    A possible non-expert noob method:

1. Plant MC in small bunches into the soil substrate.
    2. Let MC transition and grow to cover the substrate, remove all melting leaves.
    3. Trim the MC a few times until the entire carpet height is at equal level and fully cover the substrate.
    4. Do a deep trim down to low height.
    5. Crank up light, Co2 and fertilizer dosing to turbo-boost the MC growth.
    6. Rapidy grow the MC, don't give the bottom sections a chance to get old.

Next step is the most important...

7. Once the carpet is nice and thick, quickly take photos and videos of it.... before the bottom leaves start melting.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 19th Mar 2015 at 00:21.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A possible non-expert noob method:

Next step is the most important...

7. Once the carpet is nice and thick, quickly take photos and videos of it.... before the bottom leaves start melting.
    Hahaha. That's a good one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

seize the moments.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I find that MC is quite a hardy and easy to grow plant.
    I got my original bit of MC from a nice brother here when buying some plants from him.

planted some in my 1 feet tank and they grow like mad..

There is no special treatment that I gave them only high light 50W LED, shrimp soil,CO2 and occasional liquid fertilizer and excel water change 1 or 2 weeks once tank temperature about 29 to 30 degrees C ..

can see from here before and after trim..... check the filter intake and decide yourself how much I have trim them..
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...630#post809630

there shows no sigh of yellowing at the bottom but my tank is badly hit with hair algea so I decided to trim them.
    after trimming, I noticed that the middle part plants looks yellowish...was actually quite worried but 1 month later which is now, I can see that it is growing steadily again the problem is I am still pulling out hair algea from them hopefully I can win the battle against hair algea..

having said all these, i throwed a little patch of MC with BBA in my guppies tank thinking if it melt off then the guppies will have another source of food.. few months has passed and the patch is growing! with lesser BBA also.. and the tank only has water and guppies inside with sunlight coming from the windows.
    Last edited by fireblade; 26th Mar 2015 at 08:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi
    How come Shadow can ignore and he gets this type of growth and when I ignore, the plants ignore me too.

Seriously, I really want to know the way. Is it due to ample light or Co2 ?
    Cheers
    The critical period is the first month or two, once you pass that period, normally it is on auto mode. Provided you don't add new plant or introduce new thing that can accidentally carry algae or pest along.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Monte Carlo very easy, I'm sure every one can do it. The easiest foreground plant I ever try.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/