Country
    Singapore

Length, Width or Height?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I would just like to find out which side of the tank would you guys consider important for a planted tank? The length, width or height?
    And hopefully you could state out why you consider that side important or has the most advantage.

Thanks
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Important with reference to what? Aesthetics, plant growth, light penetration, presentation, accessibility?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As Vinz said -- with reference to what? And what kind of layout are you trying to achieve? I once saw Bioplast has a pretty shallow tank with Glosso only and it looked wonderful.

Length, depth and height are all important. And tanks nowadays are all built quite similar in length and height. However, most tanks don't seem to have enough depth. So if I were to choose from those standard tanks like 3,4,5 or 6ft, I would prefer a deeper (the width) tank of 2ft, no less. This way, you can have more foreground.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks - Just want to do a normal planted set up. Thought of having deeper tank so that I can try taller type of plants. If my tank is 2.5ft deep, MH would be able to reach the foreground plants?

Does higher depth means that the Oxygen will be the least at the bottom of the tank?
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:4a7f07977c="aCe^bOwleRz"]Thanks - Just want to do a normal planted set up. Thought of having deeper tank so that I can try taller type of plants. If my tank is 2.5ft deep, MH would be able to reach the foreground plants?

Does higher depth means that the Oxygen will be the least at the bottom of the tank?[/quote:4a7f07977c]
    From aquascaping point of view, size will determine the way you want to scape the tank. You can use any size tanks from 1 litre to 2000 litres, just like artists using medium that ranges from a grain of rice to the whole ceiling of a church.

MH lights are point sources. They have advantage over FL/PL in terms of depth of penetration. FL and PL lights will have the advantage of area of coverage. 150W worth of FL can cover a bigger area than a single 150W MH bulb. Amount of light put out per watt for MH and FL/PL is roughly the same.

It is all up to your own design and innovation.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tank shouldn't be more than 2ft high , otherwise you have problems with water pressure and way too much bracing, for a planted tank, it means you have issues with landscaping unless your hands are really long or you want to climb in the tank.

by law, hdb flats don't allow you more than 4ft tanks without application, but be discreet about it and check where your support beam placements are when you place heavier tanks.

going for larger size tanks means full size tank pix will be difficult (but not if you have a nice wide angle lens).

my suggestions would be 5 x 2 x 2 or 6 x 2 x 2 ft tanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Whatever size tank you get, always consider the maintenance issues... most important is accessibility.

For the standard against the wall setups, 2'x2' (HxW) is the max I'll go. With this dimension, reaching the back bottom of the tank is already a stretch. Bigger then that, and you will have to bend over the top and that isn't easy when you have lights above the tank. You also end up blocking the light, and you'll have a hard time seeing anything thru the moving water surface. The absolute max for me is 2'x2.5' but only because it's better for my arowana when it gets bigger.

When people ask whether to go for (HxW) 1.5'x2' or 2'x1.5', i'll suggest the latter. The taller height allows for more plant varieties, and the shorter width gives a smaller footprint for floorspace considerations.

You can go for taller and wider tanks if you can get good access from at least front and back. Perhaps a 4'x2'x4' (LxHxW) standing in the middle of a room.

If you intend to use a tank as a room divider, go for wider if you intend both the front and back to be presentable. (i.e. you intend to scape something that is to be viewed from front and back.) You need the space for the scaping.

On a related note, always make sure you have access from the front. If you build the tank into a wall, make sure you openable panels above the front of the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks BC

I guess for a 4ft tank, I will use 2 MH lighting set. Although there maybe heat issues, I could invest in a chiller.

my suggestions would be 5 x 2 x 2 or 6 x 2 x 2 ft tanks.
    I have a constrain over horizontal dimension over vertical dimension. I'm placing this tank in my room so that is why I can't go for 5ft or 6ft but can go rather for height.

Does thicker glass can give me the assurance regarding the water pressure?

Hi vinz,

According to my planning, I will have access to maintainace from the front, back and the one side of the tank. I think that would make maintainance easier for me. I will have to rethink about the height again as what loupgarou said, water pressure will be an issue.

Btw, this tank will not be placed on a normal tank cabinet. I will be placed on a low platfrom support just like one of Gratiola planted tank. So the tank will be as near to the floor as possible
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So the tank will be as near to the floor as possible
    Interesting but why? Normally, we want to see the tank at eye level.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:4dbaab237e="geoffrey"]
    So the tank will be as near to the floor as possible
    Interesting but why? Normally, we want to see the tank at eye level.[/quote:4dbaab237e]

I'm trying out something new :P Now, I don't have to stand and view the tank. I can sit down or lay down on my bed to view the tank.
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lay a tatami in front of the tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Aiyo Vinz..you psychic!!! i just placed one yesterday...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    importance depends on the position of the tank, except for the height which will determine how wet yr armpit is gonna be . I supposed if the tank is positioned in the centre of the room with sufficient space all round, then you can go for wider and longer tanks. But of coz, u have to consider having too wide a tank then you have to step into the tank to maintain it

I also have a carpet infront of my tanks to keep the floor dry during maintenance

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you throw practicality aside. I'll go for a 3 feet cube

Cheers
    Vincent
    If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van Gogh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:9df43c8498="TanVincent"]If you throw practicality aside. I'll go for a 3 feet cube

Cheers
    Vincent[/quote:9df43c8498]

how about a 4x4x2ft 3ft cube too high to maintain

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [quote:344098d704="TanVincent"]If you throw practicality aside. I'll go for a 3 feet cube

Cheers
    Vincent[/quote:344098d704]

I had actually wanted to go for this dimension but with a 3ft height, the tank has to be 15mm all around to be safe from the pressure and the cost would be likely be a bomb for a student like me.

If the price for a 3ft cube is too much for me to handle, I might try out a 2.5ft cube tank

[quote:344098d704="Simon"]how about a 4x4x2ft 3ft cube too high to maintain[/quote:344098d704]

I do not have that much width to spare

The most will be 3ft
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have started a Mass Order for customised tanks here

If any of you are interested, please reply there

Okie - back to discussion
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    personally i think 4x2x2 is the most practical, plus it is almost the same dimension as Oliver Knott's 1st placing in Aquabotanic

i seldom see ultra wide tanks around, but i think 2ft is the optimal if not the minimal for depth creation.

very tall tanks requires the effective use of hard materials. it also restricts the use of stems in that should the stem grow soooo tall like more than 1.5 ft, it would look very gangly.

anyway, any wider and deeper, i think there is my fear of tipping into the tank while rescaping.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:b7f434b72c="gregorsamsa"]personally i think 4x2x2 is the most practical, plus it is almost the same dimension as Oliver Knott's 1st placing in Aquabotanic

i seldom see ultra wide tanks around, but i think 2ft is the optimal if not the minimal for depth creation.

very tall tanks requires the effective use of hard materials. it also restricts the use of stems in that should the stem grow soooo tall like more than 1.5 ft, it would look very gangly.

anyway, any wider and deeper, i think there is my fear of tipping into the tank while rescaping. [/quote:b7f434b72c]

Amano uses 6x2x2, does that mean we all need a tank that size

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Now I'm rethinking of the tank dimension as Vincent suggested a 3ft cube tank. But I think the price is high for me.
    So I got the following dimensions in mind.

- 3 x 2.5 x 2.5 or
    - 3 x 3 x 2.5 or
    - 3 x 3 x 2

Which one of the above is more appropriate? The glass thickness will be 12mm so as to be safe
    Any suggestions/comments?

Regards,
    Izzat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast