1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Zebra / Wild OTO

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Damn, just saw this thread. Wonder if i should head over there today after work.....hmmmmmm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Damn, just saw this thread. Wonder if i should head over there today after work.....hmmmmmm
    You could try, or maybe to be safe just call C328 and ask the aunty?
    That shit Cray!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks! Will give them a call when i knock off :P

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hopefully weekend still have leftover for me ahah.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by HBK16 View Post
    As I was already halfway west (Leng kee workshop) this afternoon, decided to make my way there. When I arrived, they were in 2 tanks (CRS and Sulawesi shrimp tank???) Maybe someone spilled them over as one tank was above the other on the rack. Counted 8 in total. Mai tu liao netted 3. When reached home after acclimatisation seems the colour is coming back (they were initially all.. white in packet on the way home... phew)

Here's one of them exploring their new home. Simply gorgeous..

Off topic a bit; as usual, my customary routine whenever at C328 is to check out the hermit crabs pail(promised daughter if good results for mid year exams), say hello to the Filipino helper (find her most helpful amongst the staff there, auntie usually very busy, hence I usually approach this lady), and check out the new shrimp arrivals. Not much time left, but I did notice an inverted packet hidden at the back. Lo and behold, inside were 6 black/ blue bee shrimps ( I think culled) but all were berried!

Wasn't intending to get any shrimps but this was too good to let go. Maybe someone (I suspect Wooty) wanted it but decided to check out other items and left it 'marked' that way so he can come back later to grab it. I quickly paid up and exited the shop.
    Bro, how your zebra doing? By the way, what is this shrimp? Blue and white? Seem like CBS to me?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Vietnam bee, 4 black bands

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

<insert expletive> cheapo china TEM chiller started giving me problems since Monday morning. Had been fine for over a month until it chose to kick in at way higher temperatures by itself sometimes 29c !! <insert expletive again>!!!

Current casualties:

- 1 Zebra Oto
    - 1 yamato (or was it a red nose I can't confirm as the blue CPO cum suspected crayfish was chomping on it)
    - 3 CRS.

Thankfully the wet weather past few days helped a bit and I also managed to stabilize the temp to around 27c by supplementing with my Ista crossflow fan which I didn't manage to sell in AQ marketplace(maybe a blessing in disguise). I have decided to search for a real chiller now with all these expensive livestock and plants sitting in my tank.

So in answer to your question Bro Dscheng. Left 2 Zebras Otos now.

Off-topic : Bro, if you haven't been to C328, you just have to set aside sometime for a trip there man! It's like one of those shops in Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter movies. Stock from top of ceiling to bottom with narrow lanes full of curiosities!
    Last edited by ZIr; 6th May 2015 at 11:19.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seudzar View Post
    Vietnam bee, 4 black bands
    Thanks Bro. I didn't even know it myself. All I know was it looks like a zebra shrimp to complement my zebra oto
    Last edited by ZIr; 6th May 2015 at 11:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by HBK16 View Post
    <insert expletive> cheapo china TEM chiller started giving me problems since Monday morning. Had been fine for over a month until it chose to kick in at way higher temperatures by itself sometimes 29c !! <insert expletive again>!!!

Current casualties:
    - 1 Zebra Oto
    - 1 yamato (or was it a red nose I can't confirm as the blue CPO cum suspected crayfish was chomping on it)
    - 3 CRS.

Thankfully the wet weather past few days helped a bit and I also managed to stabilize the temp to around 27c by supplementing with my Ista crossflow fan which I didn't manage to sell in AQ marketplace(maybe a blessing in disguise). I have decided to search for a real chiller now with all these expensive livestock and plants sitting in my tank.

So in answer to your question Bro Dscheng. Left 2 Zebras Otos now.

Off-topic : Bro, if you haven't been to C328, you just have to set aside sometime for a trip there man! It's like one of those shops in Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter movies. Stock from top of ceiling to bottom with narrow lanes full of curiosities!
    Oh dear, my tank is always 29-30deg, does that mean i shouldnt get an oto???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think oto can survive at that temp, shud be no prob
    That shit Cray!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Don't worry, I believe my zebra Oto most probably died due to fluctuating parameters. 1st the temp swing up and down due to <insert expletive> cheapo TEM chiller. Then when I used fan to supplement, evaporation was like 2L+. God knows how the inhabitants felt.

I'm keeping another 2 normal Otos in my balcony (transferred out from main tank when the Zebra Otos arrived) in a shallow bare 2L tank with (no chiller/ fan/ filter.. nothing) which I'm using to grow fissidens on rocks. Temperature there can exceed 30c when full sunlight. They are doing ok so far last I checked this morning.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

HBK, i been to C328 many time. Really super messy, basically thing anyhow throw here and that and not to mention the crowd. Especially weekend. Time to invest into compressor chiller ! No regret, i on like 12 hour daily, electricity bill like less than 10 bucks?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No issue on OTO. In fact, my OTO can't survive in my office tank like 18~20 deg.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chiller not meant to on for the whole day?
    That shit Cray!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Otos can tolerate 29-30°C temperatures, some of my planted tanks with otos regularly peak at those higher temperatures during hot afternoons, and the fishes are still okay.

The main thing is to ensure that they are already healthy when first bought from the LFS (ie. active with rounded tummies, no injuries), they must be properly and slowly acclimated to your tank conditions (ie. extended drip acclimation), the tank must be a mature setup with stable parameters, and there must be sufficient natural algae and bio-film for them to graze on (otherwise you need to constantly supplement their diet with algae wafers and blanched vegetable slices).

Note that zebra otos are generally much larger in size than normal otos, so they need much more food supply to sustain them over the long term.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Otos can tolerate 29-30°C temperatures, some of my planted tanks with otos regularly peak at those higher temperatures during hot afternoons, and the fishes are still okay.

The main thing is to ensure that they are already healthy when first bought from the LFS (ie. active with rounded tummies, no injuries), they must be properly and slowly acclimated to your tank conditions (ie. extended drip acclimation), the tank must be a mature setup with stable parameters, and there must be sufficient natural algae and bio-film for them to graze on (otherwise you need to constantly supplement their diet with algae wafers and blanched vegetable slices).

Note that zebra otos are generally much larger in size than normal otos, so they need much more food supply to sustain them over the long term.
    Thanks UA.

At first when i saw you replied to this thread, i thought you will post that you had gone down to C328 and wipe out their zebra otos since u like them so much hahahahahahhahahaha

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Got two from there. Was circling polyart thinking its c328 lol.Got the boss to help me fish two. Look very diff frm pictures on the internet...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA.

At first when i saw you replied to this thread, i thought you will post that you had gone down to C328 and wipe out their zebra otos since u like them so much hahahahahahhahahaha
    I currently have just the right number of zebra otos in my existing tanks, can't overload too many or else not enough algae and food to sustain them properly.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Got two from there. Was circling polyart thinking its c328 lol.Got the boss to help me fish two. Look very diff frm pictures on the internet...
    They will usually look pale and washed out in LFS tanks and during initial introduction into a new tank... but once they acclimate and settle in with good water conditions, combined with an ample diet of algae, their bold black and white striped patterns will become alot more distinct.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Mine look fatter at the head than your pictures LOL

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast