Country
    Singapore

Re: Zebra / Wild OTO

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by HBK16 View Post
    Standard 2ft tank. Got a Teco mini chiller. Tried to feed them cucumber and algae wafer but they ignored. End up the shrimps ate them.
    Wa Teco chiller like very expensive! BTW, i was C328, zebra oto totally sold out.. So sad, have to wait for the next batch

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Standard 2ft tank. Got a Teco mini chiller. Tried to feed them cucumber and algae wafer but they ignored. End up the shrimps ate them.
    Mine was feeding on it til it sweeps its tail and all the shrimplets away :P

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My normal OTO do the same thing too. Sometime i am worried it will accidental kill my shrimplet !

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

GC still have when I dropped by last Sat. So does the OTO prefer cucumber or zucchini? How do you guys keep the darn thing down? I poke a stainless steel wire into substrate

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Otos go for both cucumber or zucchini slices, though zucchini has higher nutrient and vitamin content.

The rate at which individual otos go for vegetable slices do differ though, some take to it instantly, some need more time to learn its edible or are not as keen on them.

You can use a small rock to keep the slices submerged, or just poke them into a wood branch. Usually after the slices are blanched (ie. boiled briefly for 1-2 minutes) beforehand, they will naturally sink. Also if they are then kept in the freezer for a while, the slices will usually sink easily too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

GC still have when I dropped by last Sat. So does the OTO prefer cucumber or zucchini? How do you guys keep the darn thing down? I poke a stainless steel wire into substrate
    GC overpriced! I rather wait !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Otos go for both cucumber or zucchini slices, though zucchini has higher nutrient and vitamin content.

The rate at which individual otos go for vegetable slices do differ though, some take to it instantly, some need more time to learn its edible or are not as keen on them.

You can use a small rock to keep the slices submerged, or just poke them into a wood branch. Usually after the slices are blanched (ie. boiled briefly for 1-2 minutes) beforehand, they will naturally sink. Also if they are then kept in the freezer for a while, the slices will usually sink easily too.
    I gave it japanese cucumber :P. It does sink but not like a rock and tends to drift for me. And sometimes it even float back up the next morning. Next i want to try soaking my cucumber in fresh garlic juice before feeding them - read that its good for the fishes/shrimps.

But i wonder that had anyone tried feeding fruits instead? Apple slices/etc. Altho i suspect these sweet stuffs might pollute the water or something.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    I gave it japanese cucumber :P. It does sink but not like a rock and tends to drift for me. And sometimes it even float back up the next morning. Next i want to try soaking my cucumber in fresh garlic juice before feeding them - read that its good for the fishes/shrimps.

But i wonder that had anyone tried feeding fruits instead? Apple slices/etc. Altho i suspect these sweet stuffs might pollute the water or something.
    I guess you could try... though the high sugar content in fruits may encourage fungus growth, so probably have to remove them earlier before they start rotting and getting moldy.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My oto was found dead this morning, just 5days short of a month. ($26 down the drain - 2 oto, one dead the next day)

It was still swimming around the past few days athough it no longer stuck on the glass like initially (now usually found on substrate or on my driftwood).

Maybe i should just get a normal oto although i quite liked the zebra's colour.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sad to hear that. During this period, do you see your zebra eating? What do you feed them? I notice if oto very picky over food, most probably can't survive..
    You can start with normal oto.. it still do it job for algae eater but not as nice as zebra.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Sad to hear that. During this period, do you see your zebra eating? What do you feed them? I notice if oto very picky over food, most probably can't survive..
    You can start with normal oto.. it still do it job for algae eater but not as nice as zebra.
    it does when i put cucumber/algae wafers. It was inside my feeding dish (with algae wafer) last nite before i head for the bed

I wonder if its my shrimplets that stressed it LOL. Got tons of them around (substrate/driftwood if i look closely) or on the tank walls .....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to hear your predicament Maru. My shrimplets doesn't seem to bother my 2 zebra otos. but I'm not sure what you meant by 'tons'. Maybe a pic would be helpful.

However, my zebra otos sometimes does give me a panic attack when they just 'rest' motionless a piece of hardscape. I found out if left alone, a few minutes later, they usually get back up again swimming all over the place in a frenzy sucking at random surfaces. Not sure if this behaviour is good or bad. Never see in normal Otos

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My normal otos does that too. Just rest and not moving at all, i still use the pincer to poke it then it swim away very fast.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to hear your predicament Maru. My shrimplets doesn't seem to bother my 2 zebra otos. but I'm not sure what you meant by 'tons'. Maybe a pic would be helpful.

However, my zebra otos sometimes does give me a panic attack when they just 'rest' motionless a piece of hardscape. I found out if left alone, a few minutes later, they usually get back up again swimming all over the place in a frenzy sucking at random surfaces. Not sure if this behaviour is good or bad. Never see in normal Otos
    I rarely see it swimming much though. Although previously, it can be at one wall of the tank, the next moment i found it on the substrate or elsewhere. But past few days before its death, it was never on the tank walls, usually stationary at one point for hours.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Aquatic Avenue At Redhill sells them. Check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How much is it? Redhill le.. quite far.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Not as far as Clementi bro. If I recall, someone senior here said it's a seasonal fish. If you still want it, you better get it while season still open. C328 already didn't restock for quite some time. GC also finish. I find that it's a real beauty of an Oto once stable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha, too many exotic fish la bro. My pocket is limited haha. I heard a lot of ppl can't really get the wild caught oto to survive.
    By the way, how your hunt on blue CPO?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Given away the 2 blue crayfish already (they grew too big too fast). Got 2 blue CPOS from GC Clementi 3 weeks back, but they are super shy. Only come out at night, so hard to take photos. If I manage to snap, I'll post in the other thread.

Anyway update on my 2 surviving 'wild' Z. Otos, here they are zumbaing on the rear glass panel against the current

Very helpful cleaning my buceps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Chey I thought u want to give away zebra oto lol. Nice!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast