Country
    Singapore

Soil, Sand, Whatever?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Not been following up on the scene recently thus have some questions about gravel.

What kind of gravel is more recommended. for ex there is onyx sand, ada soil... and clay in some shops whatever they are.

I'm lookin for something which can be used for planting but not the regular boring brown sand. To be used with or without base fert. Can anyone recommend some. WHERE and HOW MUCH would be best. OH and how many kilos for a standard 3ft.

Like if i used ada soil... it will break down to clay or soil or whatever so after that can I still use it.
    Then for onyx sand it seems sharp to me.

Or is there somewhere I can read these stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Soil, Sand, Whatever?

[quote:c28f27e3="Sims"]Hi all,

Not been following up on the scene recently thus have some questions about gravel.

What kind of gravel is more recommended. for ex there is onyx sand, ada soil... and clay in some shops whatever they are.

I'm lookin for something which can be used for planting but not the regular boring brown sand. To be used with or without base fert. Can anyone recommend some. WHERE and HOW MUCH would be best. OH and how many kilos for a standard 3ft.

Like if i used ada soil... it will break down to clay or soil or whatever so after that can I still use it.
    Then for onyx sand it seems sharp to me.

Or is there somewhere I can read these stuff.

Thanks in advance.[/quote:c28f27e3]

You mean brown gravel as in lonestar? or dennerle? so far, I prefer the colors of dennerle, they have a few colors to choose from too. Like you mentioned ADA aquasoil will breakdown after a while and you don't really want that to happen if you have a big tank.. (imagine tearing down the tank)

you can visit dennerle site, think they do have something on gravels

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've used onyx and fluorite, they aren't sharp . seems sharp only, the fish can handle, cory's too.

I'm also now using ada for a 5ft tank (5 bags).

(I'm using combo fluorite as base layer with ada on top).

probably have the most $ex gravel in singapore..hahah.

$9x 35 and 5 x $40 = $515

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:402ffc6502="loupgarou"]I've used onyx and fluorite, they aren't sharp . seems sharp only, the fish can handle, cory's too.

I'm also now using ada for a 5ft tank (5 bags).

(I'm using combo fluorite as base layer with ada on top).

probably have the most $ex gravel in singapore..hahah.

$9x 35 and 5 x $40 = $515[/quote:402ffc6502]

almost the same price I paid for my 4ft (dennerle gravel + depoint mix)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    err so meaning to say it breaks down after a few years... not in a year or so right... So meaning to say all the clay type soil will break down in a few years.

actually my brown is the lapis or whatever it is called... I want to try using other type of gravel... but also learnt that some is artifical sand so will the plants grow properly is a ???

Not having a huge wallet too so the big brands is almost not in consideration. Any alternative.

Oh and also is the black gravel... and types like that suitable... seems to feel prickly when i dip my hand in.

Please advice.... Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:7fe79ec1="Sims"]err so meaning to say it breaks down after a few years... not in a year or so right... So meaning to say all the clay type soil will break down in a few years.

actually my brown is the lapis or whatever it is called... I want to try using other type of gravel... but also learnt that some is artifical sand so will the plants grow properly is a ???

Not having a huge wallet too so the big brands is almost not in consideration. Any alternative.

Oh and also is the black gravel... and types like that suitable... seems to feel prickly when i dip my hand in.

Please advice.... Thanks[/quote:7fe79ec1]

think not a few years... i heard 1 to 2 years. you might want to consider cheaper alternative to bigger brands

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    think not a few years... i heard 1 to 2 years. you might want to consider cheaper alternative to bigger brands
    So to say the time it breaks down is almost the time to overhaul the planted tank. is it this way.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:88f227cc24="Sims"]
    So to say the time it breaks down is almost the time to overhaul the planted tank. is it this way.[/quote:88f227cc24]

or you can topup with gravel