Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Crypt tank: What causes crypt melt? Pls share!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Crypt tank: What causes crypt melt? Pls share!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all!

I'm about to start planting my crypt tank and I'll like some help on this perennial problem. Generally, I've read that crypt melt can be triggered by anything that doesn't agree with the crypts, e.g sudden change in lighting intensity, medications, liquid ferts,... One of the causes someone told me is that if crypts are planted in a new tank, the unsettled substrate can cause the melt. Is this true? If it is, how soon can I start planting.

I have 5 pots of crypts, C. wendetti, C. balansae(?) and some other sp. that have been sitting in their pots for 3 weeks on my balcony already. I'm itching to get them planted. They've done very well so far with minimal light and no C02.

My tank is 1.5', will use an 11 watt light. Other plants are Java fern and moss. May set up a DIY CO2 generator for it. As for fish I'm just getting a small group of rasboras.

Any help, comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Matt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    crypt melt is normal I believe. ie: all emersed forms of crypts will melt when submersed, new leaves will grow in the submersed form

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Crypts are known to melt but dont worry. Trim away dead leaves and look after the tank. They will grow new leaves soon. Also dont expect Crypts to grow at the rate like the Indica or Umbrosum. They are slow but you dont have to trim weekly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A sudden change in nitrate level usually results my crypts to melt. Overdosing in my case.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Crypts are plants that prefer to be left alone. With that said, any abrupt changes to its surroundings, like lighting, water parameters(pH, hardness) , etc will result in the melting of the plants. Some crypts are especially sensitive and will start to melt at the slightest changes.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Make sure the rihzome and the root are still alive, it will grow back in afew days times.
    Do not panic when u see ur crypt melt off.

Thanks
    Best Regards
    TS

It nice that more and more hobbist are into crypt. Hope to learn from you all.
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....