Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help with killifish (opinions from experts please)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Chile

Help with killifish (opinions from experts please)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I have bought some killifishes, 2 male and 2 female per male (6 in total). They are fundulopanchax. I thought they were gardneri, but the supplier says that they are not gardneri, they are: fundulopanchax udi berger (1 male and 2 females) and fundulopanchax nigerianus makurdi (1 male and 2 females).

I received a communication from another supplier stating that the fundulopanchax gardneri are not intended for community tank as they are very aggressive with colorful fishes such as guppies, bettas and ramirezis (I have the three of them) and they are carnivorous, so they will kill soon or later some of my fishes, but on the other hand as I said the supplier that sold me the killis says that the gardneri are not the fishes I have, but that the ones he sold me are fundulopanchax udi berger and fundulopanchax nigerianus makurdi instead and those are very peaceful. He explained me that killifishs that are aggressive most of the time are hybrids and thats why they are violent (because there are killifishes that cannot live in community tanks, so probably they have some genes of those inside).

The thing is that I have a big confusion. My killifishes are 3,5 cms and they look peaceful, no incidents so far, but I dont want to wait until my guppies become lunch.

Other thing that called my attention is that when I searched about uri berger I found this and this is the blog of the same supplier!

http://pecescurauma.blogspot.com/201...erger-udi.html

it says that the killifish uri berger are in reality gardneri, so here I am completely lost and I dont find documentation to see which one I have, if they are gardneri or not, if they are aggressive or not with other fishes in community tank. I have read comments that the gardneri eaten the guppies of their tanks, etc., but are mine gardneri?????????, is the uri berger, for example, actually gardneri?

can someone advise?

I would really appreciate your help (and my fishes of course).

Rgds,

Ricardo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Chile

Re: Help with killifish (opinions from experts please)

dont worry, I have investigate a lot. Fundulopanchax udi berge and nigerianus makurdi are peaceful species, all killifish are. Maybe the dimensions of the aquarium affect, but in good conditions they are peaceful.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hola y bienvenido Ricardo,

Udi Berge aka Udi Mountain is a population of Fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri. You should not keep these with the Fp. nigerianus Makurdi in the same tank as they can and will hybridise if given the chance. Any babies you get from such a crossing, whether accidental or on purpose, MUST be labeled as hybrids.

These are not recommended for a community tank because they are capable of killing smaller fishes. Do not underestimate the gape of their mouths. It is pretty large. They can and will eat guppy and Ram Cichlid fry. You can keep them with your adult guppies and Ram Cichlids if you wish, but try not to mix them with Betta. Male gardneri/nigerianus will constantly spar, even with females during courtship.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Chile

hi stormhawk, thanks for your response!!

Well this is the thing, I am not killist, I am just a hobbyist and I just love fishes and I wanted to have an aquarium in my apartment, but I ended buying two of them, because I saw a betta splendens so beautoful that I couldnt resist in buying it and of course the extra/non planned 20 lts aquarium for him.

I dont have much space, so I cannot have more aquariums for killifishes, thats why I ask from the community tank perspective. If I put killies in the 20lts aquarium, they can be attacked by the betta (or viceversa?), and the community tank is ok. I do not pretend to reproduce them, so probably all the eggs and each fry will be eaten by the members of the aquarium, including guppy's. This point is very important as most of you think in reproduce them, but I am not thiking in that, I only want them as ornamental fishes for my aquarium as I found them beautiful and I want to give them a good life. So probably wont be any hybrid killi and if there is one (I doubt it), I will keep it. So, with that in mind, and according with what you say, my adult guppies and ramis are safe.

My doubt now is: what happens if I put some nothos inside it (I got some eggs), of course appliying the same logic (I dont want to reproduce them), do you think i could get troubles with the male guppies or the males fundulopanchax?. Please tell me, if there are problem I will have to share them to a person with space.

Thanks!

Ricardo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There will not be much problems if you mix Nothobranchius with Fundulopanchax, but you have to take into consideration their water requirements. If you want a community tank with an easily available Notho then choose from these species:

Nothobranchius guentheri
    Nothobranchius korthausae
    Nothobranchius rachovii
    Nothobranchius foerschi

These 4 species are fairly easy and tolerant of other species as long as you keep the number of males down. If you intend to just have a community setup without any breeding then a lot of male rachovii will make a nice display. They should not have problems with your Fundulopanchax. I would suggest moving the Betta to a separate container because it is not meant to be a community species.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Chile

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    There will not be much problems if you mix Nothobranchius with Fundulopanchax, but you have to take into consideration their water requirements. If you want a community tank with an easily available Notho then choose from these species:

Nothobranchius guentheri
    Nothobranchius rachovii
    Nothobranchius foerschi

These 4 species are fairly easy and tolerant of other species as long as you keep the number of males down. If you intend to just have a community setup without any breeding then a lot of male rachovii will make a nice display. They should not have problems with your Fundulopanchax. I would suggest moving the Betta to a separate container because it is not meant to be a community species.

Thanks man, really appreciated. I made the mistake of buiying them without knowing anything, and i said ok if i cannot have them i can sell the eggs to a person who can. This makes me really happy as you listed the species i bought.

about the Betta, yes ir is beautiful (red blood) but he is angry all the time, i am selling him right now.

Thanks and cherrys from southamerica

Ricardo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Chile

Quote Originally Posted by Donethur View Post

Thanks man, really appreciated. I made the mistake of buiying them without knowing anything, and i said ok if i cannot have them i can sell the eggs to a person who can. This makes me really happy as you listed the species i bought.

about the Betta, yes ir is beautiful (red blood) but he is angry all the time, i am selling him right now.

Thanks and cherrys from southamerica

Ricardo
    what about this one spectrolebias costai, this is the only one that is not in the list.

photo here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261794523062...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Spectrolebias costai is a very small and delicate species, it is not meant for beginners due to the size of the fry.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post

Nothobranchius guentheri
    Nothobranchius rachovii
    Nothobranchius foerschi

thanks for the info on this.