Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New Tank Cycling with Fishes :D

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I know nothing about shrimps. because I don't keep shrimps.

The only shrimps I've ever handled are the canned dried shrimps I used to feed my Luohan fish.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Junneh View Post
    I know there are many bugs in there. Hope u can see the white substance clinging on the moss
    Can't really see it so clearly, but based on the slight greenish tint, it looks like various fine filamentous algae growing all over the moss.

I guess you just have to keep rinsing it to get rid of the algae, maybe put the moss into a tank with shrimps so that they can help to eat and clear the algae.

Only problem with just rinsing and getting shrimp to help clear algae, is that traces and bits of the algae will still be present on the plants, hence they will always tend to return again if conditions are favourable for them. So its not a permanent solution.

In my case, what i usually do with moss that come with algae is to soak it in a container with double dosage of AlgExit for a few days (no livestock in the container). The algae will gradually die off due to the treatment, then i rinse the moss throughly to clean it properly, after that i add it into a quarantine tank with cherry shrimps to clear up the remnants of dead algae.

So far, that method has worked well for my new plants and the algae never return to plague them again.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well, is there anything I should take note of when keep shrimps? Bought my first 20 red cherries today. I've read about shrimps dying during molt due to XXXXX reasons. I asked the LFS about the remedies for it but they told me there actually isn't. So...can u guys help out? haha
    For shrimps, they are much more sensitive to fluctuations in parameters and unstable tank conditions (compared to fishes), so you should only add them to well-established fully cycled tanks.

They take a longer time to adapt to new environments too, so you should do a slower drip acclimation on them before introduction into your tank. That will greatly improve their survival rates.

Molting is a very important factor for shrimps, they molt as they grow or when there is a significant change in their environment (ie. large water changes, introduction into a new tank etc)... but if they are not ready, or if the mineral content in the water is too high or too low, or if they are under too much stress, their molting process can fail and thats when they die. To minimize this issue, its best to ensure that your tank environment and parameters are as safe as possible for them, and give them enough time to adapt to it.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 24th May 2015 at 21:43.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    For shrimps, they are much more sensitive to fluctuations in parameters and unstable tank conditions (compared to fishes), so you should only add them to well-established fully cycled tanks.

They take a longer time to adapt to new environments too, so you should do a slower drip acclimation on them before introduction into your tank. That will greatly improve their survival rates.

Molting is a very important factor for shrimps, they molt as they grow or when there is a significant change in their environment (ie. large water changes, introduction into a new tank etc)... but if they are not ready, or if the mineral content in the water is too high or too low, or if they are under too much stress, their molting process can fail and thats when they die. To minimize this issue, its best to ensure that your tank environment and parameters are as safe as possible for them, and give them enough time to adapt to it.

So, how do I test for the mineral content in the water? And if it is lacking, is there anyway I can increase the mineral content? :/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So, how do I test for the mineral content in the water? And if it is lacking, is there anyway I can increase the mineral content? :/
    There are 2 things that are commonly tested, GH and TDS.

GH or general hardness is a measure of dissolved mineral content in the water, there are test kits for that (ie. API GH Test). Generally most people try to keep it around 4°-8°... can be slightly more or less is okay, as long as its not like 0° or something oddly high like 20°.

If GH is too low, you can add in mineral supplements designed for shrimp keeping or add mineral rocks for shrimps which slowly release beneficial minerals into the tank. If GH is too high, then have to do water changes with low GH water (ie. distilled, RO/DO water) to slowly bring it lower, and also check that there are no calcareous rocks or other items leaching excessive minerals into the tank.

TDS or total dissolved solids is a measure of everything in the water (incl. minerals, nutrients, chemicals etc), there are electronic TDS meters available from various LFS or online stores. TDS is more for how well the shrimps can adapt to your tank conditions. For example, if they lived their whole lives in a tank with a lower TDS and your tank has much higher TDS (or vice versa), then you'll need to take extra care to acclimate them more gradually to your tank conditions.

Most people don't usually test those parameters though, sometimes the tank conditions are already okay and the shrimp can adapt well and thrive. It usually more for those who are keeping expensive (aka sensitive) shrimps... or for those who notice their shrimps keep dying and they become the LFS "best repeat customer" every week.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

There are 2 things that are commonly tested, GH and TDS.

GH or general hardness is a measure of dissolved mineral content in the water, there are test kits for that (ie. API GH Test). Generally most people try to keep it around 4°-8°... can be slightly more or less is okay, as long as its not like 0° or something oddly high like 20°.

If GH is too low, you can add in mineral supplements designed for shrimp keeping or add mineral rocks for shrimps which slowly release beneficial minerals into the tank. If GH is too high, then have to do water changes with low GH water (ie. distilled, RO/DO water) to slowly bring it lower, and also check that there are no calcareous rocks or other items leaching excessive minerals into the tank.

TDS or total dissolved solids is a measure of everything in the water (incl. minerals, nutrients, chemicals etc), there are electronic TDS meters available from various LFS or online stores. TDS is more for how well the shrimps can adapt to your tank conditions. For example, if they lived their whole lives in a tank with a lower TDS and your tank has much higher TDS (or vice versa), then you'll need to take extra care to acclimate them more gradually to your tank conditions.

Most people don't usually test those parameters though, sometimes the tank conditions are already okay and the shrimp can adapt well and thrive. It usually more for those who are keeping expensive (aka sensitive) shrimps... or for those who notice their shrimps keep dying and they become the LFS "best repeat customer" every week.
    Thanks for the advice UA. Ill probably get a TDS Test Kit soon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Urgent!

Okay, my first batch of red shrimps aren't fairing too well. lost about 4-5 of them within 2 days. I didn't use the drip method to acclimate them to the water though. I've a 2nd batch of red shrimps now, & adopting the drip method. Any idea why the red shrimps died? Is it because they are unable to adapt to the water parameters quickly? They aren't feeding on the 2 moss balls I lobbed in either. Bought some shrimp pellets to feed them, but no luck either. Most of them are hiding behind the fauna or clinging onto leaves. Found 1 berried red shrimp clinging onto a leave. I seriously hope it doesn't die and give me young shrimplets.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Urgent!

Okay, my first batch of red shrimps aren't fairing too well. lost about 4-5 of them within 2 days. I didn't use the drip method to acclimate them to the water though. I've a 2nd batch of red shrimps now, & adopting the drip method. Any idea why the red shrimps died? Is it because they are unable to adapt to the water parameters quickly? They aren't feeding on the 2 moss balls I lobbed in either. Bought some shrimp pellets to feed them, but no luck either. Most of them are hiding behind the fauna or clinging onto leaves. Found 1 berried red shrimp clinging onto a leave. I seriously hope it doesn't die and give me young shrimplets.
    Yeah, shrimps generally need more time to adjust to new tank conditions so a gradual acclimation helps alot. Your tank environment may also still be unstable (make sure its fully cycled) and there could be certain parameters which affect them too (like what i mentioned earlier).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, shrimps generally need more time to adjust to new tank conditions so a gradual acclimation helps alot. Your tank environment may also still be unstable (make sure its fully cycled) and there could be certain parameters which affect them too (like what i mentioned earlier).
    I'll be damned. Despite my efforts, there are still casualties in the 2nd batch. Gosh, how many more am I gonna lose over the next few days? My tank's fully cycled but I'm not too sure about the mineral content & hardness :/
    Hopefully they start breeding soon to compensate for the losses. Darn shrimps! xD

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bacteria has been a great help and I swear by it. - source, personal experience lol. (:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456