Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Potted Water Plant?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've seen videos of people putting a small and big pot of water plants into a tank instead of planting directly into the soils.

《 Will the plants die easily? 》
    《 Is there any place that sell the plants into the pot? 》
    《 Is there any water plants in a pot that doesn't require CO2 injection? Since I am keeping fishes as well? 》
    《 Which of the plants mentioned above ^grows medium size?》
    《 Is it easy to keep alive? 》

Thank chu very much

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Potted Water Plant?

P.S:
    I want plants in a no hole ceramic or plastic pot which I don't have to plant in the soil base of my aquarium itself.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You can put any of the rooted aquarium plants into a pot of aquasoil and place it into the aquarium (there is nothing special about the plants used, it can be any aquarium plant)... that method is usually done by LFS or plant growers so that the plant can be moved or removed from the tank easily, either for sale or to transfer between tanks.

So basically it's no difference from planting in substrate, just that now it's planted in a pot and then put into the tank. The care requirements for the plants used are still the same.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    You can put any of the rooted aquarium plants into a pot of aquasoil and place it into the aquarium (there is nothing special about the plants used, it can be any aquarium plant)... that method is usually done by LFS or plant growers so that the plant can be moved or removed from the tank easily, either for sale or to transfer between tanks.

So basically it's no difference from planting in substrate, just that now it's planted in a pot and then put into the tank. The care requirements for the plants used are still the same.
    Suggest any no C02 low tech plants which are slow growing

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by KevenBrendanLee View Post
    Suggest any no C02 low tech plants which are slow growing
    You can go for easy low-demand stem plants like water wisteria, water sprite, HM, rotala wallichi... they can grow quite fast even without Co2 injection (good for soaking up excess nutrients), with Co2 injection they grow like wildfire.

If you really want slow growing plants, then can consider anubias, java ferns, mosses or cryptocorynes, those plants generally grow slowly with or without Co2 injection (good if you prefer not having to trim the plants every week).

Here is a list of plants and photo descriptions from Tropica website for some reference (look under the "easy" category): http://tropica.com/en/plants/?tabIndex=1&alias=Easy
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can go for easy low-demand stem plants like water wisteria, water sprite, HM, rotala wallichi... they can grow quite fast even without Co2 injection (good for soaking up excess nutrients), with Co2 injection they grow like wildfire.

If you really want slow growing plants, then can consider anubias, java ferns, mosses or cryptocorynes, those plants generally grow slowly with or without Co2 injection (good if you prefer not having to trim the plants every week).

Here is a list of plants and photo descriptions from Tropica website for some reference (look under the "easy" category): http://tropica.com/en/plants/?tabIndex=1&alias=Easy
    Cause I want to do a potted plant, do I only need to put the ADA aqua soil or have to put other additives/fertilisers?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cause I want to do a potted plant, do I only need to put the ADA aqua soil or have to put other additives/fertilisers?
    So you just want to put the aquarium plant into a pot and then put into the tank? In that case, just fill the pot with ADA Amazonia aquasoil, then add the plants to it.

You could add other base fertilizers into the pot too (it can extend the nutrient content in the soil), but its usually not necessary with ADA aquasoil as it already contains sufficient nutrients for most plants, at least for the first few months of growth.

Btw, why the need to put the aquarium plants into pots? Is it a decorative thing? Or you plan to move the pots around?
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So you just want to put the aquarium plant into a pot and then put into the tank? In that case, just fill the pot with ADA Amazonia aquasoil, then add the plants to it.

You could add other base fertilizers into the pot too (it can extend the nutrient content in the soil), but its usually not necessary with ADA aquasoil as it already contains sufficient nutrients for most plants, at least for the first few months of growth.

Btw, why the need to put the aquarium plants into pots? Is it a decorative thing? Or you plan to move the pots around?
    Haha I find the simplistic nicer and easier maintenance

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha I find the simplistic nicer and easier maintenance
    I see... i guess you can use any container, even plastic ones can work too. I've put new plants with soil inside those square tupperware plastic containers and place them into temporary grow-out/quarantine bare-bottom tanks, they grow well too and are indeed alot less messy when i remove them to re-plant in other tanks.

Just another idea, you can also stick small glass pots of plants with soil on the side of the tank glass for decoration too, some examples:

Photos from Google Images.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 6th Apr 2015 at 15:28.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see... i guess you can use any container, even plastic ones can work too. I've put new plants with soil inside those square tupperware plastic containers and place them into temporary grow-out/quarantine bare-bottom tanks, they grow well too and are indeed alot less messy when i remove them to re-plant in other tanks.

Just another idea, you can also stick small glass pots of plants with soil on the side of the tank glass for decoration too, some examples:

Photos from Google Images.
    Okay. Thanks
    does ceramic pot buffer ph?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Okay. Thanks
    does ceramic pot buffer ph?
    I'm not too sure about that, i've only ever used plastic containers... i guess it depends on the type of ceramic and if it was used before for other potted plants (the ceramics may have absorbed certain things). If you are not sure, it might be a good idea to soak the ceramic pot in a container of water for a few days and test the parameters before and after, see if there are any noticeable changes in the parameters.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not too sure about that, i've only ever used plastic containers... i guess it depends on the type of ceramic and if it was used before for other potted plants. If you are not sure, it might be a good idea to soak the ceramic pot in a container of water for a few days and test the parameters before and after, see if there are any noticeable changes in the parameters.
    Okay thanks