3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Iwaguni (look-alike) Nano Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

I just started this tank with the "Iwaguni" concept.
    It is in double quote because I did not follow the concept entirely.

I am just using stones and carpet grass because I liked its simplicity.

Journal:

The picture above was taken when I was soaking the rocks, not the scape yet.

Rocks when it was in the bag:

The setup with the soil, rocks and HOB filter:
    I was trying to reuse an old HOB filter of mine and apparently the water flow was too much that it is causing a hole in the substrate (behind the center rock).

So I went on to DIY a "post-filter":

I am not the originator of this idea. This is the direct link of the idea:
    http://www.gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35006
    I found the above link in Planted Tank (credit goes to GeToChKn post)
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=179038

Went to buy a plastic container, cut a few sponge filter to block the sides and attached a S hook:

Placing it below the HOB:

Placed some filter media taken from the other tank.

Front view:

However, I decided not to use this because there was no water flow.
    Hence I removed it and bought an internal filter with a spray bar instead.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Iwaguni (look-alike) Nano Tank

Going into the plants:

I wanted to try Marsilea Minuta but I was not able to find it. I end up with Marsilea Hirsuta.
    I did my research on the Internet and found a lot of different opinions for carpet grass. In the end I settled for Marsilea. One of the reasons for me to choose Marsilea is the clover-like leaves, although I have a feeling that I will end up with 1 or 2 leaves per stalk if the carpet grass is successful.

This was the pot that I have bought:

Close up view:

Placed it in a quarentine tank, in preparation for the separation of the runners:

Upside down view to show the roots:

After separation of all the runners:

I have very few "losses" (very little rotten leaves):
    I was surprised to see the amount of stalks I can get out of it. Initially I thought it was too expensive because I was not able to see much plants in it.
    After separating the runners out, I would say it is value for money.

Laying the stalks for planting:
    (those on the left are runners with very short stalks which I find it a challenge to plant 1 stalk at a time, so I kept it with the runner.)

and the longest runner was measured to be.....

Next, off for planting:

first stalk planted:

and followed by the rest:

close up view on a few planted stalks:

I came across another youtube video where someone recommended to have the leaves removed before planting.
    I gave this method a try especially on those very short stalks where it will be challenging for me to plant 1 by 1.

This is how it looks like where I have removed all the leaves with the runners intact.

The leaves that were removed:

After all the planting, I laid some filter media that I took from another tank:

That's it for now.

The soil is ADA Amazonia Aqua soil.
    I will be dosing Flourish Excel daily as a carbon source.

Hopefully I will get some results in a month time after which I will introduce shrimps.

I will try to provide a regular update on the progress.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

nice effort there! do take note that Marsilea can grow big and tall..
    why lay the filter media there? will it be removed after the tank has cycled? they really destroy the look unless there are moss stick on to them
    the rocks looks a bit small or low.
    looking forward for the tank to mature soon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    nice effort there! do take note that Marsilea can grow big and tall..
    why lay the filter media there? will it be removed after the tank has cycled? they really destroy the look unless there are moss stick on to them
    the rocks looks a bit small or low.
    looking forward for the tank to mature soon!
    Thank you

Oops, i overlooked that, i have thought marsilea will be short looking. I will leave it run and take this as an experience.

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that the filter media was put there temporary. I took it from the other tank so that the BB will help in cycling.

Ya, i do felt the rocks are kinda short and the right one seems too big. I might go for a rescape when the mood comes in. For now, was too tired after the planting. Didn't realised it's so tiring but yet enjoying.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

my marsilea initially grow short, then it grew bigger and bigger... almost 1 feet tall... MC on the other hand will produce an nice carpet effect...
    think I will give up on marsilea...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    my marsilea initially grow short, then it grew bigger and bigger... almost 1 feet tall... MC on the other hand will produce an nice carpet effect...
    think I will give up on marsilea...
    Thanks for sharing.

Initially I thought of glosso but was worried that it will not make it because of the lack of co2.

Thought of MC too but with the same concern.

I'll give MC or glosso a try if this marsilea failed.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This is the picture taken yesterday.
    Water is clearer now and you can see those fine dust covering the rocks.

uploadfromtaptalk1428413661944.jpg

So I went to siphon it off:

uploadfromtaptalk1428413751190.jpg

Close up view:

uploadfromtaptalk1428413777161.jpg

I also diy-ed a "hanging" container to store the filter media. I'm still considering if it should be left permanent there because the sponge media in the filter is very small. So I'm thinking if these additional media will help the BB to grow.

I will not forget to remove it during photo taking, if i managed to get a good carpet that is.

uploadfromtaptalk1428414036026.jpg
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, it can be beneficial to keep the bio-media in the tank, just direct the filter's outflow path towards the basket of bio-media so that the bacteria living in there can receive a constant supply of nutrients and oxygen to do their work.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, it can be beneficial to keep the bio-media in the tank, just direct the filter's outflow path towards the basket of bio-media so that the bacteria living in there can receive a constant supply of nutrients and oxygen to do their work.
    Noted. Thank you.

By any chance, have you come across any LFS selling Hagen Fluval Nano Aquarium Internal Filter W/ Spray Bar?

I saw it on Fresh and Marine but their shop is too way out for me.

I'm considering Y618 or Seaview area.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by 14litre View Post
    Noted. Thank you.

By any chance, have you come across any LFS selling Hagen Fluval Nano Aquarium Internal Filter W/ Spray Bar?

I saw it on Fresh and Marine but their shop is too way out for me.

I'm considering Y618 or Seaview area.
    Not sure about Y618... but good chance Seaview may stock that model, i've seen a selection of Fluval brand filters and equipment being sold there.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure about marsilea, but another close alternative could be the Hydrocotyle tripartita, which can be "encouraged" to grow low and thick by sticking early shoots into the substrate and physically compressing the bush.

and of course strong lighting.

watch tropica's video of the plant on YouTube. who knows maybe the same can be done with marsilea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, by looking at the photos, i assumed you are using Aqua Zonic EF-Baby 300l/hour internal filter, may i know if you are using it to aerate the surface of the water or as a main filter?

Do note that this internal filter does heat up the water aka heat transfer (i've experienced it, its as high as 29-29.5degrees for goodness sake and i've a few shrimps that died due to the heat transfer.) Took it out the next day, though its very strong and really works well for a $6.30 filter

Alternatively if you have extra budget, you may use GEX F1 Corner Filter (also similiar to yours) which is around $14-15 which allows you to change the active carbon filter sponge at the bottom, adjustable control valve which is located on top of spray bar which is more precise than Aqua Zonic and more convenient to adjust. Not noticeable increase of temperature with it though, the most is 27-28 degrees depending on your room temperature.

Downside of it, its slightly longer and might protrude out of your tank if your tank height is less than 15cm.

So if you are keeping shrimps in this tank, i thought it might good to share with you my personal experience

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
    I'm not sure about marsilea, but another close alternative could be the Hydrocotyle tripartita, which can be "encouraged" to grow low and thick by sticking early shoots into the substrate and physically compressing the bush.

and of course strong lighting.

watch tropica's video of the plant on YouTube. who knows maybe the same can be done with marsilea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for sharing.

I will watch the video later at home.

I tend to go for lower lights and shorter duration because i am worried on algae boom.

I am also new to planted tank.
    This would be a kind of experiment and will adjust whenever required. Thank you once again.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rakurime View Post
    By the way, by looking at the photos, i assumed you are using Aqua Zonic EF-Baby 300l/hour internal filter, may i know if you are using it to aerate the surface of the water or as a main filter?

Do note that this internal filter does heat up the water aka heat transfer (i've experienced it, its as high as 29-29.5degrees for goodness sake and i've a few shrimps that died due to the heat transfer.) Took it out the next day, though its very strong and really works well for a $6.30 filter

Alternatively if you have extra budget, you may use GEX F1 Corner Filter (also similiar to yours) which is around $14-15 which allows you to change the active carbon filter sponge at the bottom, adjustable control valve which is located on top of spray bar which is more precise than Aqua Zonic and more convenient to adjust. Not noticeable increase of temperature with it though, the most is 27-28 degrees depending on your room temperature.

Downside of it, its slightly longer and might protrude out of your tank if your tank height is less than 15cm.

So if you are keeping shrimps in this tank, i thought it might good to share with you my personal experience
    Yes it is.
    In fact I post another issue with its suction cup here:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...d.php?t=119588
    Do you have issue with that also?

I did not realised the temperature increase and i am grateful that you shared it. I will replace it with another. I'm thinking of Fluval Nano internal filter. But i will also look for the GEX filter you mentioned.

It is my main filter and i also find the media inadequate.

My preference is an internal filter with spray bar. I wanted spray bar so that it can distribute the water to more area.

HOB is out because the waterfall will disturb the substrate.

Canister is out because of budget.

Sponge filter is out because it will take up the space of the tank floor.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes it is.
    In fact I post another issue with its suction cup here:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...d.php?t=119588
    Do you have issue with that also?

I did not realised the temperature increase and i am grateful that you shared it. I will replace it with another. I'm thinking of Fluval Nano internal filter. But i will also look for the GEX filter you mentioned.

It is my main filter and i also find the media inadequate.

My preference is an internal filter with spray bar. I wanted spray bar so that it can distribute the water to more area.

HOB is out because the waterfall will disturb the substrate.

Canister is out because of budget.

Sponge filter is out because it will take up the space of the tank floor.
    I think mine also came off very easily, as its generally low in quality which speaks for its price tag.

I've stopped using it and will be saving it for as a spare filter in case anything happen to any of my filters.

Internal filter is also taking up space in the tank, if you noticed its quite the same as sponge filter as it hogs up a corner of the tank.

My guppy tank uses both HOB and Sponge filter as a combination of biological & mechanical filtration with good source of dissolved oxygen in the water column.

The sponge filter modded with an opening that is supposedly belongs to an external breeding box's filter outlet, hence its sticking out of the water surface creating bubbles and pushing it across the tank~

The HOB filter is filled 4 slots of bio-medias (seachem matrix, biohomme plus, ANS mini bacterial house junior) filled up in wool pouches also self-made.

Hope my ideas will inspire you..

here's my thread:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...uppy-tank-40cm

Note that the sponge filter is not updated in the thread, as i've just did the modification last week.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rakurime View Post
    I think mine also came off very easily, as its generally low in quality which speaks for its price tag.

I've stopped using it and will be saving it for as a spare filter in case anything happen to any of my filters.

Internal filter is also taking up space in the tank, if you noticed its quite the same as sponge filter as it hogs up a corner of the tank.

My guppy tank uses both HOB and Sponge filter as a combination of biological & mechanical filtration with good source of dissolved oxygen in the water column.

The sponge filter modded with an opening that is supposedly belongs to an external breeding box's filter outlet, hence its sticking out of the water surface creating bubbles and pushing it across the tank~

The HOB filter is filled 4 slots of bio-medias (seachem matrix, biohomme plus, ANS mini bacterial house junior) filled up in wool pouches also self-made.

Hope my ideas will inspire you..

here's my thread:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...uppy-tank-40cm

Note that the sponge filter is not updated in the thread, as i've just did the modification last week.
    Thank you so much.

Your setup is very nice.

I'm interested to read more on your sponge filter mod. I just subscribed to your thread.

Whenever you are convenient, is it possible to update your thread with the pic?

Thank you.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

another way to counter the weak suction will be use a clothes peg or clip to clip the cable and hold it to the height you want.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My apologies for the long awaited updates.

I have been taking photos of the tank (almost daily) to capture the progression.

I bought a bag of 50 RCS (those lowest grade ones) 17 days ago and to my pleasant surprise, i have a berried shrimp now!

There was no berried shrimp in the bag because i scoop each and everyone manually.

I didnt expected this because I have countless failed attempt with cherries.

This is really motivating and i hope I can see the shrimplets in weeks to come.

Here's a pic of the mummy:

And this is the video to show the progression of my tank from Day 4 to 51:

https://youtu.be/UMk-9QLHgqM
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My apologies for the long awaited updates.

I have been taking photos of the tank (almost daily) to capture the progression.

I bought a bag of 50 RCS (those lowest grade ones) 17 days ago and to my pleasant surprise, i have a berried shrimp now!

There was no berried shrimp in the bag because i scoop each and everyone manually.

I didnt expected this because I have countless failed attempt with cherries.

This is really motivating and i hope I can see the shrimplets in weeks to come.

Here's a pic of the mummy:

And this is the video to show the progression of my tank from Day 4 to 51:

https://youtu.be/UMk-9QLHgqM

wah.
    Congrats.
    How much roughly was it for 50 RCS and where did you get it?

Was trying my luck to buy some 2 days ago and was unlucky didn't see any.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by skytan View Post
    wah.
    Congrats.
    How much roughly was it for 50 RCS and where did you get it?

Was trying my luck to buy some 2 days ago and was unlucky didn't see any.
    Thank you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed till the full term.

I bought the bag of RCS from Y618. It should be $10 (or was it $20?), can't remember.

They stock up every Wed it seems.

If you want to try Y618, best bet is probably to call them and request to have it reserved for you.

But these are the lowest grade of RCS, it might not look so appealing on its colour. It is my first time trying this grade and i agreed that the colour is very dull.

I bought it because I need big algae crew when I upgrade the lighting to T5. My intention was to see if the T5 and CO2 will boost the growth of the marsilea hirsuta. I am aware that it has slow growth, just trying to see if it makes any difference.

The video will tell it really live up to its name of a slow growing plants.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast