Thread: Newbie setup

Feedback Score
    Images

Newbie setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I have been reading AQ since i started the hobby. Read a lot before decide to spend some $$ to setup a tank. Just think that I probably should start sharing my 2nd setup and make more interaction with others to learn more. 1st setup was too bad to share..

I have a 1.5ft tank, Azoo canister filter, LED light, CO2 with solenoid, Amazonia normal type. Planted with dwarf hair grass, Java Fern & anubia on wood and dwarf water lettuce from UA. Lights on 3-11pm, CO2 around 1bps.

Cycled for 1month+ now, didnt invest in test kits. having quite a bit of brown algae. Only have 1x Malayan shrimp (which survived from my 1st failed setup). I'm doing manual scrubbing and 20% water change weekly.

My "budget" is suspended currently so can't add anything.. any kind soul out there willing to give me some algae cleaning crew? Haha...

Feedback Score
    Images

Re: Newbie setup

More details on my setup.
    Tank: 45 x21 x 25cm
    Canisters filter: 360l/hr, using media that come together.
    Lights: Jeneca LED, 8watt, 33 LED
    Photoperiod: 3pm - 11pm
    CO2: about 1 bps. I bought the second hand set from a bro here. Didn't include bubble counter. I'm counting the bubble below diffuser ceramic disc.

I used to have 4 Malayan shrimps and 6 tetra in the tank. Which from my previous setup. They were doing OK together, until last 2 weeks, the tetra chasing and harassing the shrimps. 3x jump out and left 1. I separated the tetra in a big tapao plastic container now.

Having brown algae problem now. Thinking to get an Otto and shrimps. Will Malayan better or cherry?

Please comment to help me make it better.
    Last edited by gimhchng; 11th Apr 2015 at 17:19.

Feedback Score
    Images

Having problem to upload picture.. will do again later

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gimhchng View Post
    Having brown algae problem now. Thinking to get an Otto and shrimps. Will Malayan better or cherry?
    2-3 small otocinclus should be able to help eat the brown algae film on tank glass and plants.

Malayan and cherry shrimps are quite similar in terms of algae eating capability (just depends on the number of shrimps vs algae density/growth rate)... but if you plan to also keep higher grade neocaridina shrimps in the same tank (ie. fire reds, rili, chocolate, blue jelly etc), then its better to get malayan shrimps as they will not crossbreed.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images

Here's my tank.
    Attachment 47965
    DHG that i planted for 1 month. i inserted 4 root monster at that area, but it is very slow and covered by algae. not sure why...i just continue monitor..any advise?
    Attachment 47966

Thanks UA. Some says Malayan dont breed easily, so i probably will just get some cherry. Hope to see the shrimps population grow. For Otto, previously i have 1, it does the job well, but die after few weeks. I was thinking is it because not enough algae to eat? or due to my water parameters?

Any suggestions for improvement on the filter, lights etc?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can't seem to view the photos... but based on the specs you listed, the tank should be able to grow most types of plants (especially since you also inject Co2).

Do install a drop checker so that you can find out if the Co2 are actually at optimal levels, otherwise it could be too low or too high.

I find that malayan shrimps tend to breed faster than cherry shrimps, in most instances when i keep both in the same grow-out tanks, the malayan shrimp population will usually overtake the cherry shrimp population within a few months.

Though i do find that malayan shrimp larvae (before they turn into shrimplets) tend to be alot more susceptible to get eaten by small fishes or get sucked into the filter intake, mainly due to their much tinier initial size and limited mobility. Cherry shrimplets are abit larger once born and more capable of jumping away from danger.

As for otos, it helps if you can supplement their diet with a mix of algae/sinking wafers and slices of blanched cucumber or zuchinni, that can fill in gaps in their food supply. Shimps will enjoy eating those foods too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images

Hi UA, thanks for your advice.

Feedback Score
    Images

tried to upload images..

Feedback Score
    Images

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

try again to upload images...if still failed, appreciate any bro here to teach me how to do it..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

upload your pics using photobucket.

Feedback Score
    Images

Quick update on my tank. Slow growth, but at least algae under control. Will try to increase the All-in-one liquid fertilizer i bought long time ago. Thinking to switch to LushGrow Aqua series after use up the all-in-one. Any comment? Was thinking to add other carpeting plant to fill up the empty space as well, e.g. Monte Carlo/ Glosso. Try to grow them before do at larger scale.

748a2d54-bf84-4c84-8d18-a76b180d7f80.jpg317bf131-cd20-41a2-93f4-2fd8451cc83a.jpg
    Added 40pcs Malayan shrimps about 1 month ago, there are some died, but berried shrimps give birth to >20pcs babies. Most of them doing well and growth is obvious. I just feed them with blanch cucumber once a week. Anyway, I don't see any more berried shrimps.
    1x otto seems to be OK in my tank too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice setup..thanks for sharingi also new on aquatuc plants

Feedback Score
    Images

Hi Emerson, thanks!
    My intention was only ensure my plants can grow, algae under control and fauna survive. Looks like I made it. I think the CO2 significantly make things easier.
    I just did a minor rescape, added AR mini. There are nutrition deficiency symptom on the plants. I'm using the LushGrow aqua and micro, slowly increase the dosage and observe the plants.
    http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/w...5847932744.jpg

Sent from my HM 1SW using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice setup. Newbie here too. I started few months ago too and my second setup is almost the same as yours but not as nice. My rili and cherry shrimps are breeding like crazy too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Malayan shrimp is definitely breed faster than cherry ! My planted tank suddenly fill all with small malayan shrimp !

Feedback Score
    Images

Ya, I chose Malayan over cherry previously due to the fact that they breed faster. Today just spotted a berried shrimp. Hope that the population grow. I'm planning to setup another 2ft tank. Hehe.. buying 2nd hand items whenever have good deal.

I'm controlling my expenses on the hobby very tight, cz I duno how long I can keep this hobby. =)

Feedback Score
    Images

Hi Kinaniya, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images

Hi all, the AR mini that i planted early of the month grow a bit at the right side, but left side not progress at all, and probably deteriorating. Previously the Japanese Hair Glass also having problem propagating to that area. Not sure what is the problem, probably the flow too strong, or light shaded. Any advice??

Unfortunately, my only 1x Otto pass away too. It has been in my tank since May, i thought it was OK. It never touch the blanched cucumber i put in. Hopefully it is not starved to die...felt guilty...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, can see from the photo that the left side front area is heavily shaded by the taller plants, so the smaller plants there don't get much light to grow.

You can just replace them with low-light hardy plants like anubias petite, those make for nice additions in shaded areas.

As for the oto, if there is ample green film algae in the tank, then most likely it had enough to eat... its death was probably due to other causes, perhaps due to unknown illness or old age.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images

Thanks UA. I will try to remove some Java fern on top and shift my light nearer to that area, see if it improve.. else I need to change to other plants.

Besides, I got a few nerrite and ramhorn snails, but die within few days...what could went wrong.. I thought that they are usually very hardy? I did acclimated them before introduce to the tank..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast