Country
    Singapore

Noobie Shrimp Setup...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all,

Just setup a 2feet tank with Ehiem Ecco pro 200 and Hailea HS-28A chiller, on the process of cycling. Did a 40% water change on Day 3.
    Tested the water parameter with API Freshwater kit on Day 4.
    Stuffs in the tank. 3 Nana, 2 Lava Rock, Driftwood with moss, 7 Frogbits , Amazon soil with Mosura Old Sea Mud, Borneowild Mineral Balls.
    Is the water parameter ok? Is there anything I need to take note. Planning to cycle the tank for 2months before getting shrimps
    I have yet to get test kit for GH, KH and TDS. Would like to know the average parameters for GH,KH and TDS.

PH : 6.4
    Ammonia (NH3/NH4+) : 0ppm
    Nitrite (NO2-) : 0.25ppm
    Nitrate (NO3-) : 10ppm

Thank you all for your precious feedbacks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Noobie Shrimp Setup...

Looks okay... i guess you are not using much ADA Amazonia aquasoil (just a relatively shallow layer?), hence the ammonia levels seem quite minimal.

kH should be maintaining at around 0-1 since you are using ADA aquasoil, so that is already taken care of.

The ideal GH and TDS level will just depend on the type of shrimps you intend to keep, can check on the shrimp site for some reference figures.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA.. the brand of the soil is not the ADA brand.. Is this brand call ASP (something like that) Amazon soil.. Bought it from Seaview.Was recommended by one of the staff there.. I filled my 2feet tank with 8litres (big pack) of the soil.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by technics View Post
    Thanks UA.. the brand of the soil is not the ADA brand.. Is this brand call ASP (something like that) Amazon soil.. Bought it from Seaview.Was recommended by one of the staff there.. I filled my 2feet tank with 8litres (big pack) of the soil.
    I see... then i guess the soil will be the "unknown" factor, unless someone who has used it can share their experience and feedback on its characteristics.

Do note that if the soil you are using is not the active type that release lots of ammonia and nutrients for boosting plant growth, then there may not be much of a cycle as there is not much food for the beneficial bacteria to feed on to grow and multiply in the first place.

If thats the case, the tank may cycle more quickly due to less ammonia/nitrites to process, but even after the tank is "cycled", you still have to be careful when adding in livestock as the beneficial bacteria colony may not be as strong as it should be to handle the new bio-load.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I miss out something.. After setting up the tank, I dose totto PSB (1 capful,based on instructions given on bottle).. Dose another cap full after the water change...
    The staff from Seaview said the soil is more or less like GEX soil (Plant & Shrimps). So I just give it a try since it is also Japan made..
    Last edited by technics; 9th Apr 2015 at 22:43.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tested TDS with a TDS tester. Reading is 125ppm.. As the tank is still in initial cycling period, was wondering is it the caused of the carbon filter in the Ecco Pro. Will removed it next week and see how the water parameter again..

Thank You all....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Finally, introduced 5 CRS into the tank. Chiller running at 26*C.
    Is it safe to add BorneoWild LUSH liquid fertilizer to the tank? Based on instruction, it is Shrimp Safe and daily dose of 1ml for every 20L.
    Can I still dose Totto PSB (abt 10ml) every 3days?

Thank you all..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

why do you need to dose fertilizer to shrimp tank when your plants does not really need?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I thought of dosing LUSH because the mini nanas leaves are melting and turn yellow..
    Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    why do you need to dose fertilizer to shrimp tank when your plants does not really need?