Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did you turn on the fans ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How long did you turn on the fans ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

Just like to find out if you leave on the fans to run 24 hr or do you use a timer to control it ? I realise if I leave it turned on all the time, evaporation in my 2 ft low-light tank can be as high as 1.5 litre a day ! I'm now using the timer for my lights to turn ont he fan and the temp is around 27 deg. Is this good enough for crypts, java ferns and mosses ?

Thks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I attach it to the same timer that powers my lights. Lights on, fan on. Light off, fan off.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I let my fan runs a cycle of 45mins ON and 15mins OFF during photoperiod. That keeps temp to about 29~30C during the hot season.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:2232507003="geoffrey"]I let my fan runs a cycle of 45mins ON and 15mins OFF during photoperiod. That keeps temp to about 29~30C during the hot season.[/quote:2232507003]
    Why do you set it this way? Any special reason?

My understanding is that most electrical equipment wears out faster when it is turned on and off compared to running continously.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My method is something like Geoffrey's. I used a separate timer for the fan. When lights on, fans are on. When lights off, fans turn on/off at intervals.

I thought of the 2 reasons:
    - Save on wear/tear on the ac/dc adaptor. I once turn them on 24h daily and it burnt out in a about a week.
    - During day or lights on period, the temp is higher and so I forced more cooling by the fan. At night the weather is not as warm but I want to cool the tank further before it starts heating up next day.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using a MH so there's quite a bit of radiating heat even after the lights are switched off, so I like to leave the fans on for 3-4 hours after the lights are off.

Feedback Score
    Bclee is right.
    It is best not to turn the fan on/off frequently at short interval as this will shorten its life-span.
    I on/off only once a day, coinciding with photoperiod. Temperature 24-26C.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I run mine 24/7...One thing I notice is the type of thermometers that folks are using might play an issue in the temperature that they are getting. I never really trusted those electronic ones....gives such impressive readings (very low even on a very hot day). The notion was kinda of confirmed when I visit keong seong a couple of days ago...the crypt holding tank near the exit with those electronic type of thermometer with no chiller was showing 23 degree celsius on a very hot day!

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:4ebf39d48e="goh"]Bclee is right.
    It is best not to turn the fan on/off frequently at short interval as this will shorten its life-span.
    I on/off only once a day, coinciding with photoperiod. Temperature 24-26C.[/quote:4ebf39d48e]

Just a question:
    What about the ac/dc adaptor? Doesn't prolong use cause it to wear out faster? I noticed it gets very hot after a while.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anything with motors draws a lot of current when accelerating, from zero speed especially. When the fan is simply running, it is drawing the stated current on the specs, but when it's accelerating, it's drawing many times that. That is the operating characteristic of an electric motor. Same for the adaptor, it is designed to give out the specified current and heat. So you are actually getting the adaptor to produce high current many times in a day by turning on and off repeatedly, thereby shortening the life. Also high current produces more heat, and heat increases wear and tear, so you are also shortening the life of the fan. The only thing is I'm not sure how much the life is shortened by...

Side track, next time you go onto the MRT, listen carefully when the train starts up, as it gathers speed, there is a distinct change in the sound of the motor. This is due to it switching low to high gear or low speed to high speed motor (depending on which system). The low gear/low speed motor is used only for accelerating to lower the current drawn in that period. After that, the high gear/high speed motor takes over.
    Smile, and the world smiles with you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:7da9142c32="juggler"]
    Just a question:
    What about the ac/dc adaptor? Doesn't prolong use cause it to wear out faster? I noticed it gets very hot after a while.[/quote:7da9142c32]

AC/DC adaptors got not moving part so wear and tear is not an issue. The only problem is the DC fan but these can be replace easily, as each cost $2 only (PC fan).

I've been using it for about a year already. So far so good. .. touch wood.

You will be suprise what a tiny DC fan can do if you operate 24/7. They perform better than a 6inch AC Fan which operate during light-on time only. When fan operate 24/7, the lower temp at night will help to bring down the temp of the tank. As water is a bad conductor of heat it, the low temp will be retain longer during light-on. I got this theory from KL, a moss king.
    Now my moss are doing better.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:82108c2b03="kc"]
    AC/DC adaptors got not moving part so wear and tear is not an issue. The only problem is the DC fan but these can be replace easily, as each cost $2 only (PC fan).
    [/quote:82108c2b03]

Not wear and tear per se but shortening of life. A light bulb also has no moving parts, but it will also fail with time. Same thing for all electrical stuff, even the IC in your electrical appliances and PC.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:691e4120e5="stocker"]
    Not wear and tear per se but shortening of life. A light bulb also has no moving parts, but it will also fail with time. Same thing for all electrical stuff, even the IC in your electrical appliances and PC.[/quote:691e4120e5]

Ok, I agree with you.

Wear and tear or not, the tank (fish and plant) come first. You can set timer to rotate several fans as an alternative option.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, so just leave it on 24/7 is a win-win situation! save your fan, adaptor and fish and plants!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree with BC, cycling causes wear and tear to the fan. But I can get fans easily :P Secondly, it's getting noisier ! So I hope to get 15 mins of peace out of an hour

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:6e7af50df7="geoffrey"] Secondly, it's getting noisier ! So I hope to get 15 mins of peace out of an hour [/quote:6e7af50df7]

You must be using AC fan. Have you try DC fan? So much quieter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My DC fan is also noisy too I guess it's all my fault. I hardly maintain it and it is covered with dirt.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:5000ae5dec="kc"][quote:5000ae5dec="juggler"]
    Just a question:
    What about the ac/dc adaptor? Doesn't prolong use cause it to wear out faster? I noticed it gets very hot after a while.[/quote:5000ae5dec]

You will be suprise what a tiny DC fan can do if you operate 24/7. They perform better than a 6inch AC Fan which operate during light-on time only. When fan operate 24/7, the lower temp at night will help to bring down the temp of the tank. As water is a bad conductor of heat it, the low temp will be retain longer during light-on. I got this theory from KL, a moss king.
    Now my moss are doing better.[/quote:5000ae5dec]

I once experience this: My timer for the ac/dc adaptor broke down. So no choice I turned on the fan for 24/7. After a week, the adaptor died. So now I don't let the adaptors run 24/7.

Anyway, not only the DC fans are cheap, you can source for cheap ac/dc adaptors at Sungei Road flea market -- at your own risk of course.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:27159715eb="kc"][quote:27159715eb="juggler"]
    Just a question:
    What about the ac/dc adaptor? Doesn't prolong use cause it to wear out faster? I noticed it gets very hot after a while.[/quote:27159715eb]

Now my moss are doing better.[/quote:27159715eb]

Where did you get the PC fan at $2 ?? Cheapest I can find at Sim Lim Square is $5. Thks.

Thks all for the feedback and info.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:694b2c07b7="geoffrey"]My DC fan is also noisy too I guess it's all my fault. I hardly maintain it and it is covered with dirt.[/quote:694b2c07b7]

I ran mine at 9V ... seems to be optimum air versus noise level. 12v is much noisier and not really blowing a lot more air. my 2 cents worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast