Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this iron and magnesium deficiency? Please advice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is this iron and magnesium deficiency? Please advice.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I have noticed the symptoms on my two plants for the past 3 weeks.
    I have looked online and for the hydrocotyle verticillata ( 1st photo) it seems to be magnesium deficiency......I think so but I'm not sure for the other plant (2nd photo).
    Can the members here take a look at the photos below and advice. Thanks.
    Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is this iron and magnesium deficiency? Please advice.

Hi guys.

OK this my take on posting in this forum.

Its like attending a talk or a presentation in Singapore.
    After the talk, the speaker asks " Any questions?"
    Even though there are 100 to 150 people in the hall, none dare raise their voice for 5 to 10 minutes. Dead silent.
    A brave sole steps forward and starts the ball rolling.
    And before you know it, there are lots of questions BUT no time left.
    The speaker says: " Due to lack of time, the talk has to end but you may ask your questions after the talk has ended".

Its the same here in this forum. Hahahah.
    Somebody (including me) posts a question and all you see are the number of views.
    Then the brave sole to start the ball rolling (start the conversation) will be either UA or Shadow.

Hi five if you agree.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

To be honest with you, it look normal to me but I could be wrong. It is not easy to determine deficiency, so I wont blame anybody for lack of reply . Iron and Magnesium deficiency is normally observable on old leaf, your pic is new leaf so it could be that the leaf look like for particular species.

You can try dose trace and iron and see if it change after couples of weeks.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

To be honest with you, it look normal to me but I could be wrong. It is not easy to determine deficiency, so I wont blame anybody for lack of reply . Iron and Magnesium deficiency is normally observable on old leaf, your pic is new leaf so it could be that the leaf look like for particular species.

You can try dose trace and iron and see if it change after couples of weeks.
    Hi,
    I was just joking on the reply thing.

Anyway, I noticed that about 3 weeks before, any new leaves or old ones would be dark green. But now I see the old one especially, turning pale green. The new growth is still ok.

Can a deficiency in magnesium be related to plants melting ( especially older leaves)?
    I know my Co2 is at max as my DC is pale green and the fish are gasping. My flow is good too as the plants have that gentle swaying movement.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Personally, i would just increase the dosage of all fertilizers and monitor the plants, if not enough, then dose some more... usually its not just one nutrient that may be low, rather its a few, and its difficult to detect specifically which ones (unless you have specialized equipment to get a continuous measurement and plant take-up rate of each nutrients in the entire tank).

I used to try troubleshooting nutrient deficiencies by dosing individual fertilizers too, but ended up with a cabinet full of many different bottles of individual fertilizers, then i realized its crazy to stock so many bottle and its a hassle to have to dose each one by one. From then on i simply dose all-in-one nutrients and let the plant sort out what they need, much easier and takes up less space.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Personally, i would just increase the dosage of all fertilizers and monitor the plants, if not enough, then dose some more... usually its not just one nutrient that may be low, rather its a few, and its difficult to detect specifically which ones (unless you have specialized equipment to get a continuous measurement and plant take-up rate of each nutrients in the entire tank).

I used to try troubleshooting nutrient deficiencies by dosing individual fertilizers too, but ended up with a cabinet full of many different bottles of individual fertilizers, then i realized its crazy to stock so many bottle and its a hassle to have to dose each one by one. From then on i simply dose all-in-one nutrients and let the plant sort out what they need, much easier and takes up less space.
    You read my mind.
    The more I searched online on what's wrong with my plants, the more it lead to confusion.
    When you mention "all-in-one nutrients" for your fertilization, what product are you referring to?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Filet-O-Fish View Post
    You read my mind.
    The more I searched online on what's wrong with my plants, the more it lead to confusion.
    When you mention "all-in-one nutrients" for your fertilization, what product are you referring to?
    Thanks
    I've been using Tropica Premium and Tropica Specialized all-in-one fertilizers for my tanks (i switch between them depending on tank bio-load and plant density), so far they work well.

I've also used LushGro-Aqua too and it also works well.

Only thing with such all-in-one fertilizers is they are more expensive and the running costs can really add up if you are dosing larger tanks or multiple tanks, in which case dry ferts would work out cheaper.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've been using Tropica Premium and Tropica Specialized all-in-one fertilizers for my tanks (i switch between them depending on tank bio-load and plant density), so far they work well.
    I've also used LushGro-Aqua too and it also works well.
    Only thing with such all-in-one fertilizers is they are more expensive and the running costs can really add up if you are dosing larger tanks or multiple tanks, in which case dry ferts would work out cheaper.
    I don't why but I just love dosing dry fetz ( EI ). Once you know the total ppm value in the off the self products, I just can't be convinced to buy it.

BTW is EI popular in Singapore?
    When I tell LFS that I dose EI, I see this strange look on their face, all of the time.
    The only exception is Aquatic Avenue at Redhill. Those guys really know about fertilizers.

Good nite. :-)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't why but I just love dosing dry fetz ( EI ). Once you know the total ppm value in the off the self products, I just can't be convinced to buy it.

When I tell LFS that I dose EI, I see this strange look on their face, all of the time.
    The only exception is Aquatic Avenue at Redhill. Those guys really know about fertilizers.

Thinking about the switch to dry ferts but the info out there is a bit messy and skewed towards American market.

Could you share what you have and your dosing schedule?

I actually bought 2 500ml pump bottles, planning to concoct a macro and micro solution but have no idea what to start, apart from everything is available at lavender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mercur1al View Post
    Thinking about the switch to dry ferts but the info out there is a bit messy and skewed towards American market.

Could you share what you have and your dosing schedule?

I actually bought 2 500ml pump bottles, planning to concoct a macro and micro solution but have no idea what to start, apart from everything is available at lavender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please bear with me for a while. I'm trying to collect the necessary website links and I'll create a post for that soon.
    When I wanted to know more about EI, it was confusion from the start. There are tons of wrong info and half baked articles on the net and to add salt to injury, none of our LFS know about EI.
    Can't blame them though. Most of the LFS in Singapore are run by uncles and aunties who are more into fish only setups. With more LFS with likes of Fishy Biz, Aquatic Avenue, I'm sure EI ( which by the way is a relatively young fertilization method) may take off big time in the future.
    Also many planted tanks in Singapore tend to be small to mid size and off the self fertz are more practical even though it may be more expensive in the long run.
    I'm sure the pros here like UA and Shadow and others who have hands on practical experience can enlighten us even more.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

planning to concoct a macro and micro solution but have no idea what to start, apart from everything is available at lavender.
    Count yourself lucky. At least you know about the place to buy from.
    When I started EI, I didn't know Singapore had the suppliers and so I imported everything from UK. The courier charges cost a bomb.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, off-the-shelf aquarium fertilizers are formulated with much more conservative nutrient levels so that everyone can use at recommended dosages without affecting sensitive livestock or requiring consistent large weekly water changes. They are designed to be as easy to use as possible.

Those bottled fertilizers would definitely look alot less value for money compared to dry ferts, whereby EI dosing advocates way higher levels of fertilizers dosed on a daily basis, and then have to flush away the excess every week with large 50% water changes, that level of constant maintenance is meant for the small but avid group of dedicated planted tank keepers... not exactly an attractive proposition for the majority of casual (or lazy) planted tank keepers/aquarists who have a tendency to skip tank maintenance and water changes whenever they can.

I guess most LFS cater to the aforementioned casual aquarist, and selling bottled products regularly to customers sustains their business... unlike selling dry ferts which a person can use for years and years, like that no repeat sales.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

When I started EI, I didn't know Singapore had the suppliers and so I imported everything from UK. The courier charges cost a bomb.
    You are absolutely right, most of the information online are skewed and somewhat outdated. Looking through these already took me ages. I have a 60% idea of what to purchase, and i am aware i can find calculators online if i want to make the stock solution, but thought it best to hear from someone who is doing it currently.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, off-the-shelf aquarium fertilizers are formulated with much more conservative nutrient levels so that everyone can use at recommended dosages without affecting sensitive livestock or requiring consistent large weekly water changes. They are designed to be as easy to use as possible.

Those bottled fertilizers would definitely look alot less value for money compared to dry ferts, whereby EI dosing advocates way higher levels of fertilizers dosed on a daily basis, and then have to flush away the excess every week with large 50% water changes, that level of constant maintenance is meant for the small but avid group of dedicated planted tank keepers... not exactly an attractive proposition for the majority of casual (or lazy) planted tank keepers/aquarists who have a tendency to skip tank maintenance and water changes whenever they can.

I guess most LFS cater to the aforementioned casual aquarist, and selling bottled products regularly to customers sustains their business... unlike selling dry ferts which a person can use for years and years, like that no repeat sales.

I was using the seachem range earlier, but you are absolutely right, it doesn't make sense to stock bottles and bottles of ferts, hence my decision to go to dry ferts, premake the stock solution and just have 2 bottles of ferts in pump bottles, and probably just 1-2 pumps per day.

Alternatively, am considering going your route as well with the tropica ferts, but i realised earlier that for your 64l tank earlier, there were all green plants. I have some AR mini, ludwigia arcuata etc and hence the tropica ferts might be a little lacking.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Since you order it online from UK,you should try this site http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=5
    but be careful with KN03 it is not allow here above certain limit. I save a lot buying from them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not surprise, only younger generation probably ever heard of EI from internet. EI introduced probably around 2006-2007. Those aunty-uncle fish shop probably never even heard of it .
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

When I wanted to know more about EI, it was confusion from the start. There are tons of wrong info and half baked articles on the net and to add salt to injury, none of our LFS know about EI.
    Can't blame them though. Most of the LFS in Singapore are run by uncles and aunties who are more into fish only setups. With more LFS with likes of Fishy Biz, Aquatic Avenue, I'm sure EI ( which by the way is a relatively young fertilization method) may take off big time in the future.
    It is tough to take-off in Asia where most of the LFS will tell you that too much fertilizer will cause algae. EI is doing exactly the opposite. Based on EI logic, algae will grow anyway with or without fertilizer because their nutrient requirement is very-very little. Any fish waste and plant decay is more than enough to supply algae with all they need. Thus instead of trying to kill agae, it maximize the plant growth and let the algae cleaner to taking care of the algae. More importantly, EI does not kill or slow down algae.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am using the 5bottle mix , liquid micro and macro from ecocity hydroponics. Also looking for alternative substitute dry form to premix into automated dosing. Their repackage bottles seems abit on high side for me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Those bottled fertilizers would definitely look alot less value for money
    I guess the worst culprit would be ADA's.

that level of constant maintenance is meant for the small but avid group of dedicated planted tank keepers.
    UA, I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks

Very true. After all they need to put rice on their table.

I bought 500 grams of Potassium Phosphate and at the rate I'm using, its going to last me for at least 1 to 11/2 years and it's the same with Potassium.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have a 60% idea of what to purchase, and i am aware i can find calculators online if i want to make the stock solution, but thought it best to hear from someone who is doing it currently.
    You should be the least concerned with where or what you're going to buy. Bro, wait till you get to the dreaded ppm values for each salt. That's the nightmare part. You just can't take the online calculators or for that matter someone's advice fully. You have to observe your plants...and believe me they'll tell it in your face. ( Am I scaring you?) You will have to go through the teething period for a few months and after that it'll be smooth sailing. You'll never go back to pre-packed fertz....just like once you use a Mac, you'll never go back to Windows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast